RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #15
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
Our 2015 Dutch Star has the NX 405 GPS which lacks some of the features in most of Garmin GPS units. There are fixes and updates that are available to update & improve the NX 405 GPS. Has anyone updated this model and was it worth the effort and $$ or should it used only a backup and purchase the Garmin RV GPS?
In my 2017 it had the same unit, I updated the maps and firmware. The system is extremely outdated (I hear clarion stopped updating this unit about 10 years ago!), the nav software is extremely outdated, I would remove and discard the unit, put something better in as you spend a lot of time on the road, enjoy the drive. I replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-8201-NEX which has the same navigation software but up to date, it's actually pretty nice and works well. I buy the map update annually, your first update is free if I recall.

My primary nav is the Garmin 770 as I don't want to be looking down and right at the nav. As a pilot I know keep your eyes up and on the road while navigating so you can see in the attachment how I have mine setup using a RAM mount just left of the wheel on the dash so interaction is easy and within reach.

https://amzn.to/2IdqZa0

P.S. the right side of my pic is an iPad Mini 4. Also, your XM subscription is tied to the XM radio/tuner which is separate from the dash radio and can plug into any deck you install and the subscription remains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.png
Views:	42
Size:	988.7 KB
ID:	241554  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS clocks were "reset" on 4/6/19. This was a planned event that happens to the GPS system every 19 years. It doesn't affect navigation, but can affect other functions that use the GPS time stamp, if the manufacturer did not program the software to account for the change.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandcworkhorse View Post
GPS clocks were "reset" on 4/6/19. This was a planned event that happens to the GPS system every 19 years. It doesn't affect navigation, but can affect other functions that use the GPS time stamp, if the manufacturer did not program the software to account for the change.
That explains why my time was off. I kept checking...and it was in auto time zone...but the clock was off by an hour. Frustrating!!!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
In my 2017 it had the same unit, I updated the maps and firmware. The system is extremely outdated (I hear clarion stopped updating this unit about 10 years ago!), the nav software is extremely outdated, I would remove and discard the unit, put something better in as you spend a lot of time on the road, enjoy the drive. I replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-8201-NEX which has the same navigation software but up to date, it's actually pretty nice and works well. I buy the map update annually, your first update is free if I recall.

My primary nav is the Garmin 770 as I don't want to be looking down and right at the nav. As a pilot I know keep your eyes up and on the road while navigating so you can see in the attachment how I have mine setup using a RAM mount just left of the wheel on the dash so interaction is easy and within reach.

https://amzn.to/2IdqZa0

P.S. the right side of my pic is an iPad Mini 4. Also, your XM subscription is tied to the XM radio/tuner which is separate from the dash radio and can plug into any deck you install and the subscription remains.

Neal. I like the way you have the Garmin mounted. Could you provide information on the mount.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #19

Neal, what did you have for breakfast the day you grabbed the steering wheel on the right side???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.png
Views:	30
Size:	988.7 KB
ID:	241824  

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Clarion NX 405 GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Neal. I like the way you have the Garmin mounted. Could you provide information on the mount.

I know Neal will respond soon, but in case youíre ďdyin to buyinĒ, thatís called an X-grip from RAM Mount. Itís attached to a RAM arm, and those come in multiple lengths to suit your needs.

They have a TON of base plate options as well ranging from screw downs, AMP compatible, and Suctions. The RAM Ball Mount is what made them famous across the off-road circuit. For the arms, I recommend staying away from the polycarbonate series; they just donít hold...especially anything like an iPhone XS or larger!

My only problem Iíve had with them is on my Dual Sport motorcycle; the balls get squished from being clamped down so tight. (Squished balls...ouch! ). Should never be a problem in an RV...if they work for Neal...

If money is no object, TurboPilot has a setup thatís really sweet as well. He uses MyGoFlight mounts which are aviation based and pretty slick but pricey.

HTH
CaptainGizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Correct RAM mount with adhesive ball on bottom. Works great.

Road rage caused a little steering wheel compression. Or photo distortion. Standing up to take the panorama photo on cruise control after a potty break - priceless. Glad I was still between the lines.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #22
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
For those interested in my Garmin 770 setup here is what I'm using.

RAM mount flex adhesive base

Texel WebGrip with RAM Mount X-Grip IV Large Phone Cradle B-Ball 1 inch

Ram Mount Long Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases

For my iPad Mini - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4IXTMI with the long arm and adhesive base ball mount
Old 04-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnDan View Post
I can not get the time and date corrected. In the SETTINGS/GENERAL menu the TIME button is grayed out and does not allow changes. If I go to setting in the GPS side in only allows adjusting the time off of GMT, I make that adjustment and nothing changes. Also I thought I saw settings to input the height/weight/length etc... canít find them again either.Attachment 241551
Go into nav...then into settings...then into REGIONAL ...THEN TO TIME ZONES...GO TO MANUEL. SET THE TIME TO GET AND THE # FACTOR WHERE YOU ARE....EASTERN...-5.00,CENTRAL...-4.00 AND SHOULD GET CORRECT TIME....IF OFF BY AN HOUR...SET DAY LIGHT SAVINGS...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #24

The above procedure worked perfectly to allow me to set the correct time. Thanks! Now, how do I fix the date that is displayed on the main screen? It currently shows August 31, 1999.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
The above procedure worked perfectly to allow me to set the correct time. Thanks! Now, how do I fix the date that is displayed on the main screen? It currently shows August 31, 1999.
Lol....I'm still working on that AND not to successful.....C

chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps