Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Clarion NX405 Replacement ??

I have been waiting until after our 8 week (7000 mi) trip this summer to make a final decision on what to do with this. We definityly want to replace it with a single unit that does all the NAV, Sound, etc.

I know that in 12/17, NealC switched to the Pioneer AVIC-8201 (8200), but was wondering if someone in the past 18 months has found single unit they are happy with.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Pioneers are good units and I was very happy with my AVIC that I had many years ago. This time, I tried the Kenwood with Garmin navigation. I'm pretty happy with the Kenwood.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excel...gateway&sr=8-1
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

I am not familiar with the Garmin built in systems. I am assuming you can program Weight, Height and Length, to optimize routing. Is this true?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the 994 model which doesn't have the ability to add the RV size. For me, that wasn't a priority. At the time I bought mine, they were just offering a model that would accept rig size, it was about $400.00 more.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
I have been waiting until after our 8 week (7000 mi) trip this summer to make a final decision on what to do with this. We definityly want to replace it with a single unit that does all the NAV, Sound, etc.

I know that in 12/17, NealC switched to the Pioneer AVIC-8201 (8200), but was wondering if someone in the past 18 months has found single unit they are happy with.

For those that have made a change , do you know if there is an amplifier driving the subwoofer? When we opened up the dash drawer today, the subwoofer was just barely vibrating.

My audio tech thinks it likely needs an amplifier if it doesn’t have one.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2019, the sub and the amp are behind the panel, directly in front of the passenger seat.

When you did the wiring crossover, there was a blue wire (if I recall correctly) that triggers the subwoofer. I originally didn't know what the wire was for, but soon fond out I had no sound, until I connected it.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Don, Neil, or others that have upgraded the Clarion unit, did you also upgrade the JBL speakers that are used with the Clarion? If so what did you go with?
Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is an amp and on mine it’s above the accelerator pedal.

I replaced the clarion with a pioneer. I replaced the amp and subwoofer. Can’t remember the amp brand and I think the sub is kicker. I replaced the JBL’s with Alpine. I had an audio store do the pioneer amp and sub work. I did the speakers.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I left the speakers alone, I'm hard of hearing and not a music aficionado. I feel I did get better sound quality in my good ear , but I primarily replaced the radio because I HATED several flaws that it had.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
There is an amp and on mine it’s above the accelerator pedal.

I replaced the clarion with a pioneer. I replaced the amp and subwoofer. Can’t remember the amp brand and I think the sub is kicker. I replaced the JBL’s with Alpine. I had an audio store do the pioneer amp and sub work. I did the speakers.
nice setup. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don, After 7,000 miles of Excite frustration, I bought a Garmin stand aalone GPS which solved the main issues. When the coach was new, I had problems with the Bose volume on the outside TV when using the dash radio. Per forum discussion, I added an amplifier and filter. This solved the problem at the time. Now it is six months down the road and the filter has failed or the hum has increased. Before changing the radio, I thought I'd ask if anyone else experienced a failed filter.
JPietri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added the amp, but left off the filter. I found the sound was okay for outside use and the few times we used it.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Pulling out Clarion NX405

Got a Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX on Cyber Monday to replace the Clarion NX405 in our 17LA. It comes with navigation, but we mostly rely on our Garmin 770. Our other vehicles all have Apple Car Play and i like using Waze and its other functions. Should be interesting pulling the Clarion out and matching up the wires from the Clarion to the Pioneer. Did not buy an amp as was not sure if the NX405 came with one, but did get the XM tuner for the Pioneer and if not needed can send it back. Hopefully this will be easier than installing my AF1 on our 20 jeep JL!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Got a Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX on Cyber Monday to replace the Clarion NX405 in our 17LA. It comes with navigation, but we mostly rely on our Garmin 770. Our other vehicles all have Apple Car Play and i like using Waze and its other functions. Should be interesting pulling the Clarion out and matching up the wires from the Clarion to the Pioneer. Did not buy an amp as was not sure if the NX405 came with one, but did get the XM tuner for the Pioneer and if not needed can send it back. Hopefully this will be easier than installing my AF1 on our 20 jeep JL!
I have used the pioneer in 2 or 3 cars and they have been great. Let us know how your install goes. I am thinking of doing this to our 17 DS too.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement