RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clean Batteries - Magnum Energy Remote Problem

Today I tore apart my battery bay. All went very well. Lots of corrosion but I didn't have time to treat things but I'll come back and do that later. I'm looking into new batteries so I'll work that issue then.

I labeled all batteries, took lots of photos and made my own map. Like I said, everything went well. The only sparking I had was when I was removing things off one terminal that included the battery temperature sensor. That one still has me scratching my head because I didn't see any reason for it.

HOWEVER!!!

My ME-ARC didn't recover properly. After getting everything back in place I was testing things in general. I noticed that the remote was showing absorb charge as I expected but I didn't see the inverter light. HMMMM It had been a while since I had totally powered down a coach and at first I forgot that once I powered it up I would have to get to the inverter and push the ON/OFF button to bring the inverter on line.

I did that and the inverter light was on. The problem is that neither the charger button or the inverter button on the remote does anything. To turn the inverter on or off I will have to get in the basement to manually do that.

The problem is the communications cable. I took my remote into the basement and connected a new cable (from my upgrade from the ME-RC to the ME-ARC) from the remote port to the remote display and everything worked normal. That would appear to confirm the data cable has gone bad. Perhaps that minor spark did something or it is purely coincidental.

One thing I found is that somewhere they changed the connection wire. The wire I can see in the control panel connecting to the remote is a 4 wire data cable. However, the cable I can see under the floor in the basement is standard phone line. That is odd.

I've run a lot of phone line as a data cable where you just need to reverse the connectors. When running cable up the window pillar it is easer to run phone line without the connector on. So, unless I can find where they changed cable type and maybe find the problem there, I will be running a new cable from the inverter to remote.

To bad this didn't happen last week when I was running phone line for my Progressive Industries remote display in the coach. OH WELL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
" I will be running a new cable from the inverter to remote. "

I think I'd run a long cable externally to see if it cures the problem before I ran it inside the walls, etc.

Aren't electrical problems fun????

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
dp7

Did you remove the positive terminal first? According to magnum inverter manual:

CAUTION: To remove battery power from the inverter, disconnect the battery positive connection before the negative connection. This requirement can prevent damage to the inverter and/or an accessory connected to the inverter.Note: When an accessory that is not powered by the inverter (e.g., ME-AGS-N and ME-BMK) is installed and connected to the inverter (via a network communication cable), the battery negative connection of the inverter and each accessory must be at the same potential (i.e., electrically common with each other) until the positive connection of each device is removed. This prevents a high impedance path developing between the connected devices (i.e., inverter and accessories), which can cause the network cable to become the DC return path to the battery—possibly resulting in permanent damage to all connected devices on the network. This can be prevented if the battery negative connection of each device is always connected before connecting/disconnecting any battery positive.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Did you remove the positive terminal first? According to magnum inverter manual:

CAUTION: To remove battery power from the inverter, disconnect the battery positive connection before the negative connection. This requirement can prevent damage to the inverter and/or an accessory connected to the inverter....
Ya know...that is an easy one to miss and I did. It is counter intuitive to all other battery management practices.

However, fortunately, this doesn't seem to be strictly the problem.

I upgraded my display from the ME-RC to the ME-ARC a couple months ago in preparation for installing a BMK. So, I have an unused data cable just waiting to be stored away. LOL

I took that data cable down to the basement along with both the old and new remotes. Plugging the new data cable directly into the remote port of the inverter (MS2812). I then plugged that new cable into each of the remotes they work just fine. I'm thinking that is pretty solid information to say the data cable is the problem.

Certainly it is very suspicious that the cable failed after the battery bay work. I'm not a believer in related systems having "coincidental" incidents. If it was related to the battery bay work, I may be lucky that it was only the cable.

BTW, the battery temperature sensor is working just fine too. I'm suspecting that the BTS is mounted on the same negative post that the inverter is connected. I will verify that and flag that negative cable for "special treatment" in the future.

Tags
batteries, problem, remote