Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clearance lights problem

Two years ago, I had to replace all my burned out top clearance lights. the yellow ones on the front and red ones on the rear. I now need 2 more to replace, same as ones as 2 years ago. I think that moisture may be shorting out those lights. They appear to be small LED lights. The circuit board for the lights are black as if they appear to be shorting out. These lights are not cheap, $18 each from Newmar. Any suggestions for a better light. Also, on the install, should I place caulking all the way around - top, sides and bottom? I noticed that the original install only had caulking across the top and down the sides. No caulking on the bottom. Is it common to have problems with these lights.
Thanks ..................
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I got my replacement clearance lights from Peterbuilt for $6.00 apiece. They are LED's and are the same shape as the original bulb clearance lights.

I did caulk all the way around mine. I actually caulked the whole bottom surface of the light housing; whether that is a problem, I don't know, but wanted to make sure they didn't leak into the front cap (Dutch Star diesel pusher).
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the original incandescent bulb clearance lights, looking at replacing them with LEDs as well as the interior lights. Will have to do it a few at a time due to the cost though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
Two years ago, I had to replace all my burned out top clearance lights. the yellow ones on the front and red ones on the rear. I now need 2 more to replace, same as ones as 2 years ago. I think that moisture may be shorting out those lights. They appear to be small LED lights. The circuit board for the lights are black as if they appear to be shorting out. These lights are not cheap, $18 each from Newmar. Any suggestions for a better light. Also, on the install, should I place caulking all the way around - top, sides and bottom? I noticed that the original install only had caulking across the top and down the sides. No caulking on the bottom. Is it common to have problems with these lights.
Thanks ..................

See if this link might be of help.
etrailer.com - Clearance Lights Products reflectors
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure it this will help but I just replaced all of mine on my 83 Pace arrow and afterward is put a line of silicone on the top to prevent from water entering from that point, they had the same strip when I removed them so the PO must have thought it worked for him.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

I also had one burn and actually saw it smoking while following our motorhome being deliverd to the US Border when we bought it in January. I sent the pics and a head's up to Newmar to warn them of a potential fire hazard. For some reason or another they sent me a new light at no cost. I was quite impressed as a new owner of a 2004 MA. The fire didn't spread and just burnt the wires for about an inch or so. I caulk it the same way they did (top/sides) thinking it might allow water or condensation to drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt light and lens.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	25079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt light lens.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	25080  

Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced all of my old incandescent markers with the PBM series Marker/Clearance Lights from superbright LED's. They are nice and bright too.

PBM series Peterbilt Marker Lamp

I love that the light itself is sealed and waterproof so you never have to worry about dirt and road grime getting behind the lens (they alway look nice and clean). The back side of the light housing was flat enough to fit nicely so I just used 1/4" bead of Proflex (clear) caulk around the hole in the fiberglass where the wires come out.

I think they were around $6.00 each when I purchased them.

Greg
gregd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Not sure it this will help but I just replaced all of mine on my 83 Pace arrow and afterward is put a line of silicone on the top to prevent from water entering from that point, they had the same strip when I removed them so the PO must have thought it worked for him.
Newmar did that on both our DSDP's but I don't think they used silicone as it's much tougher to remove.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights