Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Climate Controlled Winter Storage

First time storing our 2016 DSDP 4002 for the winter. We will be storing it at a climate controlled facility that is equipped with backup generators and we will have access to a 15 amp service. We are being told that we do not need to winterize the coach. Is there anything that we need to do to prepare the coach for storage in a climate controlled facility?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleaver View Post
First time storing our 2016 DSDP 4002 for the winter. We will be storing it at a climate controlled facility that is equipped with backup generators and we will have access to a 15 amp service. We are being told that we do not need to winterize the coach. Is there anything that we need to do to prepare the coach for storage in a climate controlled facility?
I also store my coach in a climate controlled facility. I also have 15 amp power. So, here's what I do.

* Air down to bottom
* Adjust charger to 15 amp shore power and reduce the charge rate 10%
* Shut off water pump and empty ice maker
* Shut off inverter
* Shut off all 120 ac breakers except main
* Confirm AGS (Auto Genset Start) is not enabled

Oh, and of course plug it in and verify that charger is responding and drawing very little power.

NOTE: DO NOT turn off batteries at switch overhead driver.

I store mine 165 miles from home, so I have to get it right. Hope this help and I have not missed anything. If I have, hopefully someone will jump in.

Peter

Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

Power goes out, generators run out of gas. And it gets REALLY cold up where you are.
If the storage facility is not close enough to you so that you can go there and winterize if need be, then *I* would go ahead an winterize it before storage. I know it's a PITA, but think how silly you'd feel if things got damaged for want of $20 of antifreeze and a couple hours of work.
If it's close enough that you can visit it on a whim, then go with what Lug_Nut suggested.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

Thanks Peter! This is very helpful.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks Podivin. We are close to the facility, roughly 25 miles away. And yes, it does get very cold up here. We hope to be snowbirds next year and head south during the winters.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Drain all your tanks,leave the fresh water tank drain OPEN. Winterize the
unit. A busted tank fitting or ice maker, shower drain , is a major expense.
Play it save.
Just my humble opinion.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

We are a bit south of you, but have ours in indoor storage. I don't winterize it. Here's the Site Plan:
Plugged in to 20 amp service
Monthly Generator and Engine Starts and warm ups
Should the power go out, they have a backup generator, and should that have problems, all owners get called to come to their coaches. You can winterize it or fire it up and keep it warm. I can't imagine 30 - 40 coaches firing up their generators to run their heat.

It's really up to you. If you would feel better, than winterize it. Why take a chance.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's going to sit for the winter without use. I would go ahead and winterize it. Not that much expense or work. Then no worries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Am glad this topic has come up. I recently purchased a condo/garage in Charlotte NC for our 2016 4018 Dutch Star. We have our own thermoset for heat and AC and a 50 AMP plug. Am not sure what am going to do when we park November thru January

Peter you say not to shut off battery disconnect and turn off inverter.
When we left Nappanee I was told by our Tech when we leave our RV in storage to turn off the battery disconnect for both house and chassis and plug in the RV. As i understand it turning off the battery disconnect eliminates the possible of draining the batteries but keeping it plugged in keeps the batteries topped off.
Do I have this wrong?
Any and all comments welcomed
Kevin
Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In addition to the info others have mentioned for consideration, I would, at the absolute minimum, open both low water drains and faucets then blow the water lines, etc. out using a compressor set at 40-45#. Keep in mind the recommendation to "also" winterize fully with rv anti-freeze. A very small price to pay for a potentially big problem if you don't and have a freeze up. Have you heard of "Murphys Law"?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Am glad this topic has come up. I recently purchased a condo/garage in Charlotte NC for our 2016 4018 Dutch Star. We have our own thermoset for heat and AC and a 50 AMP plug. Am not sure what am going to do when we park November thru January

Peter you say not to shut off battery disconnect and turn off inverter.
When we left Nappanee I was told by our Tech when we leave our RV in storage to turn off the battery disconnect for both house and chassis and plug in the RV. As i understand it turning off the battery disconnect eliminates the possible of draining the batteries but keeping it plugged in keeps the batteries topped off.
Do I have this wrong?
Any and all comments welcomed
Kevin
Kevin, I guess there are other ways, such as cutting both banks off. However, I prefer to have the battery banks full and ready to go. I turned off the battery switch once, the one over the driver seat. 5 months later I arrived to full batteries in the house with dead flat chassis units. Plugged in with switch on, no issues. Now keep in mind, this is providing the unit is plugged in. Also I have good management at the storage end that assures power is working.

Peter
Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #12

Thanks Peter
So much to learn. This forum has been very helpful.
Kevin
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #13

I also store indoors/climate controlled and I haven't winterized in maybe 10 years. I do everything already mentioned just stop short of using the pink stuff.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

Hi all... Just need to understand... I am also storing in heated storage. Outside of oil, filters, etc... Draining water, cleaning, etc... I was wondering if I turn off all breakers, except Main, plugged into 15amp (reduced to 15 amp power on EMS), turn off inverter, I am good to go. The 15amp through the EMS will keep the house and chassis batteries topped off.

I have a 2015 DSDP4018 and would like opinions on tire pressure and position of HWH jacks. My knee-jerk common sense thought is to put jacks down enough to take some weight off tires. Not put them in the air, but enough to support maybe 50% or so of the weight. Thoughts?

Tags
led, storage, winter