Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Clogged Shower Drain

The shower drain in our 06 Kountry Star 3910 DP is not draining and nothing seems to work to break up the clog. Is there some way to get the drain cover off and clean the drain?
Don1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That drain cover can be a challenge to remove without destroying it. There is no p-trap on those showers, so the most likely culprit is a buildup of hair and whatnot just beyond the drain cover.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Have you tried a ZIP-IT

Barbed plastic rod you push down drain thru cover...turn/twist it then pull wads of hair/gunk back out

Home Depot/Lowes/ACE/Wally etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

These things are awesome. However, the stuff that can come out of the drain can be uggggly! I use once and discard.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don1,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum. Take out the drain cover and do not worry about destroying it. Fill the grey tank 1/2 full. I use Drano to clear the drain. Use the drain cleaner you feel comfortable with. Same stuff you would use at the house. Fill the grey tank and dump it. There is no damage done to the drain or grey tank.

In the future consider:
CW has drain strainers (https://www.campingworld.com/3-piece...set-69713.html ). The large one fits the shower drain. You will need to clean the strainer once a week or so. I have had no clogs since using the strainer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had this problem from time to time as well, it be careful using anything that “pulls back” the gunk as it could get caught on the flap of the trap less drain and either damage it, or make it hard to pull back out.

We have had luck with boiling water and using a plunger to “push” the gunk down and out. It really is a one way drain...
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have you tried a ZIP-IT

Barbed plastic rod you push down drain thru cover...turn/twist it then pull wads of hair/gunk back out

Home Depot/Lowes/ACE/Wally etc
DO NOT use one of those if you have a HEPVO trap in your shower. It will ruin the trap. Newer models have the HEPVO trap, I don't know about your vintage.

From the manufacturer:

Blockages
If a pipe blockage occurs downstream of HepvO we recommend temporarily removing the HepvO valve before rodding the pipeline. If the HepvO is rodded there is the possibility that damage to the internal components will occur.

Cleaning
No routine or seasonal maintenance is required for the HepvO sanitary waste valve, however, should you blow-out your drainage lines do not exceed 80-100 psi.

HepvO is resistant to standard caustic-based drain cleaners. It is also resistant to acid-based cleaners with concentrations up to 10%. When flushing with higher concentrations of acid based cleaner, the valve must be removed before the operation.
If mechanical drain cleaning devices are to be used it is necessary to first remove HepvO from the waste system. This provides a useful access point for servicing downstream pipework.
It is good practice to rinse the HepvO valve with clean water after any maintenance procedure.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #8

Try this.

This worked for me. Run hot water down drain. Get as much baking soda as you can into the drain. I used 1 cup. Pour 1 cup of vinegar in drain. Cover if you can. Wait 15-30 minutes and flush with hot water. Repeat if needed.
TheLuvShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuvShack View Post
This worked for me. Run hot water down drain. Get as much baking soda as you can into the drain. I used 1 cup. Pour 1 cup of vinegar in drain. Cover if you can. Wait 15-30 minutes and flush with hot water. Repeat if needed.
I would try the above first before jamming anything down that drain.

About once a week I turn hot only on and run it down the shower drain for about a minute just as a cleaning maintenance. It seems to keep the gunk from accumulating down there so much.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

I do not know for a fact that a 2006 KSDP's shower has a P-trap, but our 2004 MADP's shower definitely does have a P-trap. Is there any evidence at all that the OP has a HEPVO drain in his 2006 KSDP?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
There is no HEPVO drain in the OPs coach. There is a P trap. Just to make sure the OP can remove the fake HVAC vent under the shower door. Shine a light in the hole and see what is there. The OP and I have the same coach just one year apart. At that time Newmar was putting the Kountry Star Brand on the shelf (just raised from the dead in 2020, yea). Doubt any changes were being made at that time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
There is no HEPVO drain in the OPs coach. There is a P trap. Just to make sure the OP can remove the fake HVAC vent under the shower door. Shine a light in the hole and see what is there. The OP and I have the same coach just one year apart. At that time Newmar was putting the Kountry Star Brand on the shelf (just raised from the dead in 2020, yea). Doubt any changes were being made at that time.
This thread is so confusing. "No P-Trap", "Yes P-Trap," KSDP being phased out in 2005 -- yet there are 2007 and 2008 KSDP's. I have a 2008 KSDP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
This thread is so confusing. "No P-Trap", "Yes P-Trap," KSDP being phased out in 2005 -- yet there are 2007 and 2008 KSDP's. I have a 2008 KSDP.
Confusing? There have been Kountry Star 5th wheel trailers, Kountry Star gas class A coaches and Kountry Star DP class A coaches...

But you are correct, there have been a lot of assumptions by people who are not familiar with older Newmar products and the OP has not been back to clear up things.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #14
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think it was a good idea to mention the Hepvo trap even though the OP doesn't have one. Many people don't know about the trap or how easy it is to damage it.

I tried a lot of different things to clean our trap. The thing that worked was taking off the cover and using a garden hose connected to city water.

Tags
shower