Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #29

I am thinking of adding that hinged top to mine, but made from hardwood so it will be a chopping board.

I think if you have to remove the stove knobs to feel safe you need a better solution.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #30

The stove is not the blame.......it's not paying attention to what we were doing at the controls is the problem. Gas stoves and ovens are used in residental homes in the world. Resturants use gas for food prep daily. I beleive that people use electric cooking 50 weeks and a rv two weeks a year and find it scarey and unfamiliar. Everything is dangerous.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
The stove is not the blame.......it's not paying attention to what we were doing at the controls is the problem.
I would respectfully disagree with that. With our stovetop, the knobs are located in a place that is very easy to bump against. Remember that you are working right around it constantly when preparing food, or even just living in the MH. Secondly, ours operate with very little resistance, unlike the gas range that we have at home and you can actually touch it and it will turn. It does not have a very positive press & turn operation. Thirdly, our dogs like to "see" what is happening on the counter, and have accidently turn on a burner a few times just this last trip. We did catch it right away each time though.

That's why ours is gone just as soon as the True Induction unit shows up.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #32

I understand that some people may not want to replace a working stove, so how about this as an option: install a propane leak detector that automatically shuts off the gas supply. Look at this link and at least consider it :Safe T Alert 70-742-R-KIT-BR Carbon Monoxide and LP Gas Alarm w/Relay and Solenoid Kit Trailer Camper RV
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #33
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead0331 View Post
CAUTIONARY TALE:
We keep our 1997 Kountry Aire hooked up and use it regularly at the house.
So I've been battling a blockage in my toilet drain pipe to the holding tank. Yesterday, I entered the RV and found it smelled pretty bad of sewage. My dog was in there with me and we wrestled for a quick minute before I began work on the clog. I then left the rig and went into the house to clean up and eat dinner.
Fast foward an hour and a half and I walk out and hear an alarm going off in the rig. I walk in and it smelled BAD. The alarm was the CO/Propane combo unit in the bedroom and it showed propane. I was puzzled as we hadn't cooked anything for a couple of days so I dismissed it as a false alarm due to the strong sewage smell. BIG MISTAKE.
As I worked on the toilet, the alarm kept going off requiring me to go reset it. Tiring of this, I got down low to read what the label said and that's when I detected a strong odor of propane. I immediately shut off all lights and the furnace and opened all windows and doors. On the way out, I looked at the stove and noticed one of my burners was on and spewing gas. Must have bumped it while playing with the dog.
Moral of the story is don't be so fast to dismiss the IDIOT alarms! lol
I would have gone out and bought a lottery ticket that day!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I junked my crappy Atwood 3 burner with only one usable if using a 12" skillet for a Ramblewood GC2-48P 2 burner cooktop from Amazon. The cooktop has the thermocouple safety feature, electronic ignition and 7K and 11K BTU burners. I also upgraded the rest of the galley too while at MasterTech in Oct. 2014.
Nice Reno!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I understand that some people may not want to replace a working stove, so how about this as an option: install a propane leak detector that automatically shuts off the gas supply. Look at this link and at least consider it :Safe T Alert 70-742-R-KIT-BR Carbon Monoxide and LP Gas Alarm w/Relay and Solenoid Kit Trailer Camper RV
Seen a lot of propane cook stove explosions, have you? You appear a bit paranoid about propane and cook tops...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
That looks like a good solution, but in our case each time we smelled it and shut it back off before the detector went off (and I know that it works because it went off one night in the past). Also, the True Induction unit is barely twice as much as that setup, and I get a flat counter work space out of the deal!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #37

I want our gas stove to not use any electric. People have used gas stoves for a hundred years. No electric, batteries dead, in the middle of nowhere, in the driveway in the middle of a blizzard, power plant meltdown bug out, zombie apocalypse, whatever, at least I know the stove in the RV will work. Just use common sense.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane fires are no fun. I survived with only burns on my hands and fingers when something set off accumulated LP in an older class C. By the grace of GOD I was near the door when the explosion occurred. This loud noise assaulted my ears, looking up all I seen, from wall to wall, floor to ceiling, was a flame front heading at me. My hands went to cover my face, thus the burns. If it had happened a minute or so later, I would have been undressed and getting into the shower. LUCKY ME!
I bailed out thru the door, rolled on the ground in case I was on fire [I was not], then thinking of the fire, realized the lp was still on.
.....When I got to the compartment to shut off the gas was when I realized my hands were burned. Not blisters but red 'meat'.
....I secured the LP but the fire continued to burn right down to the floor, and also thru the firewall into the engine compartment.
....The LP alarm you say? I don't know, I did not hear it but then again I had my hearing aids out because I was going to take a shower. Being an older class C it may not even worked, I had not owned it very long and don't remember if I ever checked it.
...I should have bought a powerball ticket that day, as I certainly was lucky.

PS FWIW, from the floor up it was a total burnout. From the floor down one could not tell it had been damaged. The battery and some rubber/plastic, hoses and wires, was burned in the engine compartment, but overall the engine was still good, and IIRC the the person who the ins. company sold it to put it and the transmission into a stock car.

PPS Quit camping for a few years, but now am back at it, soon to retire and get a new to us diesel pusher, and become a snowbird.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote