Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Coach Booming Earthquake!

We are in our site in Las Vegas where our rear is slightly lower than the front. This is the first time our rear was lower. We leveled and all wheels are grounded though the rear wheels are not heavily weighted. Periodically we hear a muffled boom and the coach shutters. It seems the noise and the shuttering is at the rear. I aired up and re-leveled and for about 24 hours all was good, but then it began again. There is no pattern, though at night going into the rear bath seems to trigger the earthquake, but not every time. The coach has stayed level, I can't see any changes to the height or position of the jacks. I suspect the jacks but no idea if I am correct. I did see a thread on the integra forum from a couple of years ago with a different kind of jack. Any ideas of cause and solutions? Am I risking damage. Our site is packed gravel. This is our 4th week with the coach. It did not do this when the front was lower.

jeffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

Coach Booming Earthquake!

We also have an 18 4369, and had the same thing happen, I called Newmar CS and they had also experienced the same. In my scenario the front was higher then the back, front wheels almost off the ground to level. From time to time it felt like someone backed into the coach, I was told that I should check the hydraulic fluid in the pump reservoir when slides are in and jacks are retracted, but they didn’t think it was an issue, I was just out on a 3 other sites that were much more level and did not have it happen.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are experiencing is hydraulic stiction. This is in the leveling rams. Knowing Las Vegas you are probably having a high temperature difference day to night. This causes the hydraulic fluid in the levelers to expand and contract. As the fluid pressure changes it causes the leveler to move. It starts to move sticks then moves causing a pop or boom like you describe. You can buy anti stiction fluid at any motorcycle shop. It is generally used in motorcycle forks. Also CAT also sells anti stiction additive.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffl View Post
We are in our site in Las Vegas where our rear is slightly lower than the front. This is the first time our rear was lower. We leveled and all wheels are grounded though the rear wheels are not heavily weighted.

In reading this again, the part of the rear wheels not being heavily weighted are you saying the rear jacks are deployed pretty far just not as much as the front? If so this seems unusual, one end should be the high point and the other should raise to level. Example; the site slopes to the front, the rear jacks should just stabilize and the fronts extend to level. Unless the sight is also off side to side and only one rear jack is really extended.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I'll check the reservoir when I retract the slides. Ron's explanation seems logical. Stuart, misery loves company. Sorry you have the same problem but I'm glad I am not alone! It is quite a sleep disrupter when it happens in the middle of the night. I have taken pictures of the jacks and as of now I can't see any changes after the quake.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'll check the reservoir when I retract the slides. Ron's explanation seems logical. Stuart, misery loves company. Sorry you have the same problem but I'm glad I am not alone! It is quite a sleep disrupter when it happens in the middle of the night. I have taken pictures of the jacks and as of now I can't see any changes after the quake.

Mine never came out of level after several “quakes”

Old 04-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

Stuart, The front wheels are solidly on the ground, the rear wheels less so as the rear was lower than the front. So the rear jacks are extended further than the front. The system put the rear jacks down first then the front jacks. Front jacks are very slightly extended.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Stuart, The front wheels are solidly on the ground, the rear wheels less so as the rear was lower than the front. So the rear jacks are extended further than the front. The system put the rear jacks down first then the front jacks. Front jacks are very slightly extended.

Got it, I have never encountered that situation where the rear was lower. Although opposite situations, in both yours and my conditions one axle was lifted and the other not lifted much, I suspect this is the condition that causes the noise. I also think that leveling pads would help in this circumstance, I believe the noise is the jack feet moving.