Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Cool Coat Hooks- or lack of

We have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to put coat hooks. I can't figure where to screw screws that will be solid. Since we have a FWS the fancy facia seems the only solid place at the ends. I hesitate putting in wood screws. We have an adjustable one that hangs on the bathroom door for towel or robe. Tonight we were at an Ace Hardware and my wife found these clear plastic double hooks with an adjustment. Made by Spectrumdiversified.com. They are called edge over the door coat hook. So we are hanging it at the back end of the FWS. I can hang a shirt and coat. They also won't interfere with the slide movement
What's your hook ideas? I know there are others out there that have the same issue.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

We've used the plastic 3M hooks that can be easily removed. Put some in the bathroom, shower, and on the facia for the bed, and FWS. They come in several sizes and colors. I too don't like drilling holes or glue.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Command hangers seem to work pretty well and they can be removed at any time without damage or holes...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_3n1xk2x46w_e
Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Agree, the 3M Command Hooks attach to anything and can be removed without damaging the surface. Have installed similar soap and shampoo containers in the shower.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We've used the plastic 3M hooks that can be easily removed. Put some in the bathroom, shower, and on the facia for the bed, and FWS. They come in several sizes and colors. I too don't like drilling holes or glue.
I wanted some Hooke that will hold a coat and pair of pants. I worry about the 3M hooks not holding enough or pulling the surface coating off.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #6

Im not sure you specified where you wanted one. But I have two double dark brass/black hooks screwed into two places near front of coach. The first one is for keys and it is on Passenger side just above the woodwork (panel) facing the couch/kitchen area. If I were in my coach I would attach a pic, but am not.

The second one I just did last week on the Drivers side above the driver seat on the FWS wall in the facia panel that faces the Electronics cabinet (same double hook). Its location works equally well when slide is in or out without issues. I use that one for a ball cap, dog leash, or light jacket when we are parked to go in or out. Very handy. Both hooks are screwed into the panels with the two screws provided.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I wanted some Hooke that will hold a coat and pair of pants. I worry about the 3M hooks not holding enough or pulling the surface coating off.
We have five of the 5 lb 3M Command hooks in our motorhome. I routinely hang a pair of jeans and a t shirt and we hang coats or jackets on them. They have held fast for 3 years now.

We got the brushed nickel hooks. They don't look bad and can be easily removed without damaging the finish.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have several of the satin 3M command hooks in various type and lengths. Installed several years ago. They look OEM/factory IMO. No failures.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #9

Command Hooks x4! And yes I hang coats on them!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
I realize you're asking for options to wood screws for anchoring hooks, but I'll offer this... it's YOUR coach and providing you place tasteful hook hardware that virtually matches your coach cabinetry hardware, I say go ahead and use standard anchors with screws. The next owner will appreciate it, too. Just be sure to select smart locations.

For our floorplan I placed one hook on each the slide wood facia behind each front seat which holds our jackets and dog leash close to the front door (diesel), and we also have a two different wooden sliding doors in the bedroom area where I also placed two hooks for hanging general clothing, robes, etc.

Regardless of which type of anchor that you choose, and before you install any, I suggest that you carefully consider where you place the hook in terms of considering how jackets and other bulky clothing may impede your pathway.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #11

Limited flat surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Command Hooks x4! And yes I hang coats on them!
One issue our Bay Star has is not a lot of flat surfaces. The front of the slide facials are curved. Also, the textured walls might work.
My first attempt to add picture. Oops, one is upside down.
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	148125[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	148124  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
One issue our Bay Star has is not a lot of flat surfaces. The front of the slide facials are curved. Also, the textured walls might work.
My first attempt to add picture. Oops, one is upside down.
[ATTACH]Attachment 148125[/ATTACH]
The Command hooks are likely not going to stick to the textured wall surface. They work best on smooth surfaces.

On that flat textured surface wall you might consider getting a nice looking board with hangers attached. Lowes has some in their storage section that look nice and can be mounted with two screws. That would give you 4 or 5 hooks in one place. You would need to use some screw anchors appropriate for the thickness of the wall....probably not more than 1/8, 1/4" ply.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard of command hook pulling the paper off the walls in an RV but that is rare..

Also on that full wall slide.....

I have a couple of "S" hooks, or "Over the door" hangers (Some of each) that easily go over the top of the slide, turns out it does not press hard against the fixed wall (A gasket does but it does not go all the way up) and those can hold .. Well.. A lot. of weight. one of them is a coat rack.. An over the door coat rack.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
It looks like that textured surface has a pocket door behind it. If that is correct, be very leery of screws in that wall as they could make a mess of the sliding door.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote