RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #1

Cold drafty Window near couch

On my 4369, I opted for the corner fire place/ TV, which means I have the short couch by the kitchen pushed right up against the wall (no televator behind it).

Over the holidays the temps were in the mid 20s to high 30s most evenings and sitting on the couch I was constantly dealing with cold, enough to cause a stiff neck.

I could not tell if it was just that the window behind was cold, or if there was air coming in. I didn't have an IR thermometer, but when I went to the other Windows, the one behind the couch seemed colder, including the frame around it, to my touch.

I'm not normally sensitive to cold, but this was bad enough that the only way I could sit there without pain in my neck was to sit a small 200 watt ceramic heater on the back of the couch about 12" from my head.

Anyone else experience this with a couch right up against a slide wall? I don't know if this is the nature of cold camping, or if I have a problem.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

We have an older and shorter Ventana. Yep, when camping in the cold (20ish) the frames do get cold. As far as a draft, you may take a look at the bead of chalk that you have around the frame. Was there a prevailing wind on that side of the coach?

November of 2018 we were dry camping for a week at City of Rocks State Park in New Mexico. A cold front rolled through that week. The last night we were there we had 25-30 mph winds coming from the north. The wind blew nearly all night. Without wind chill I know from our thermometer that we were in the low teens. Talked to the camp host the next morning. Donít know her source of info, but she said it was 3*F with windchill that night.

I keep a watch cap in the coach for when it gets really cold. No fashion points for me, but my neck and balding head stay warm.

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
On my 4369, I opted for the corner fire place/ TV, which means I have the short couch by the kitchen pushed right up against the wall (no televator behind it).

Over the holidays the temps were in the mid 20s to high 30s most evenings and sitting on the couch I was constantly dealing with cold, enough to cause a stiff neck.

I could not tell if it was just that the window behind was cold, or if there was air coming in. I didn't have an IR thermometer, but when I went to the other Windows, the one behind the couch seemed colder, including the frame around it, to my touch.

I'm not normally sensitive to cold, but this was bad enough that the only way I could sit there without pain in my neck was to sit a small 200 watt ceramic heater on the back of the couch about 12" from my head.

Anyone else experience this with a couch right up against a slide wall? I don't know if this is the nature of cold camping, or if I have a problem.

I have a 4369 with the recliners. We also had an air leak / draft issue which was caused by the seal plate staying in the up position when the fws lowers into place. The brackets that guide this plate were pinched restricting up and down movement. I had a severe air leak all along the top of the fws. My dealer (Midway)
had to remove all the trim and ceiling on the fws to fix which Newmar paid for. Not sure if you have the same issue.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window