RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Cold weather radiator hose leaks 2017 Ventana Le 4037

In NE Ohio the other day temps were in the mid to upper 20's. I saw some antifreeze on the pavement under the coach. Not much about a cup. I looked underneath and saw that four lower constant tension hose clamps leaking.

I called Freightliner and they advised me the date of build being around April 13th of 2017.

I checked the high temperature for around the date the coach was built the daily high temps from the 12th thru the 17th was in the low 80's.

The constant tension hose clamps tension adjusts itself in temperature changes which allows the clamps to keep proper torque range.

Freightliner tech support advised that the proper torque for these hose clamps is at 90-foot pounds but could not advise me at what temperature.

The clamps are rated from 50 to 140-foot pounds.

I checked all the radiator clamps that I could reach, could not reach the upper hose clamps, and most were at 30 pounds. Now as the engine reaches operating temps these clamps will tighten.

Given that the temperature now is at 39 degrees I torqued the hose clamps to 70 pounds. The clamp pressure at around 80 degrees should be in specs or at least close to specs.

No leaks!

Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Suspect that is INCH-lbs not FOOT-lbs.

100 ft-lbs is more than lug nut torque on most cars!

Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Suspect that is INCH-lbs not FOOT-lbs.

100 ft-lbs is more than lug nut torque on most cars!
Definitely Correct. 90 foot-pounds would twist the screw out of a hose camp.

I also don't understand your comments about constant tension. In one place you say the clamps adjust according to temperature, and later you say the clamps tighten as the engine heats up.

My opinion would be that the cast iron fittings where a stainless steel clamp is used would tighten more than a fitting on the stainless transmission cooler with a stainless steel clamp. The expansion rate of cast iron is greater than that of stainless steel.

If a clamp leaks, I would loosen it, rotate slightly and tighten it up, but 90 foot-pounds will ruin it.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

You are correct, sorry about inches vs pounds ,it is inches.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

Constant tension clamps are supposed to keep tension on the band of the clamp as air and engine temperatures change.

Constant-Tension Bolt Clamps.

The idea behind constant tension clamps is that during tightening the Belleville washers compress, acting as a spring. When the rubber relaxes the spring action pulls the band through the housing, so making the clamp smaller to compensate for the shrinkage in the rubber hose.

The bolt design provides excellent strength and creates a 360° seal. Clamps have a spring that automatically adjusts the clamp diameter to compensate for the expansion and contraction of hose and tube when temperatures fluctuate. Clamps are for firm plastic and rubber hose and tube. Do not exceed the maximum torque or clamps may be damaged. It appears the clamps on our coach has a spec to torque as low as 40 to 50 inches to 140 inches of torque.

Different metals.

Zinc-plated steel has fair corrosion resistance.

301 stainless steel has very good corrosion resistance.

316 stainless steel offers excellent corrosion resistance.

The tension spring expands or contracts due to temperature to control the tension on the clamp but there will be some standard deviations from the mean. It is highly possible the torque specs at 90 inches at 80 degrees will increase as operating temps of coolant increases, may increase torque a lot higher and at 30 degrees fall to 70 inches of torque all within enough torque to maintain a good seal without damage to the hose.

Freightliner sets the torque at 90 inches on the assembly line which most likely never falls below 72 degrees but could be warmer depended on weather knowing the clamp pressure will fluctuate with temperature.

The whole point is if your coach sits outside in cold weather and if the clamps are not tight enough one could see a coolant leak. When the engine obtains operating temps the clamp pressure is restored and there will be no leak.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Had to tighten up my clamps when i got home from FL, dripping coolant on my driveway.

I don't trust these fancy new type clamps, i just might change 'em out .

Second year in a row had a coolant leak.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Thank you Robert T for a more detailed description of the new hose clamps. I had a look at my transmission cooler on the 2019 Freightliner and it does have the screw type hose clamps with a spring on the screw. Other than the spring, I
I didn't notice any difference from a standard screw type hose clamp.

I previously had a 2017 Freightliner chassis and it had the standard screw clamps on the transmission cooler. That chassis was built very early in the year so possibly they changed some time later in 2017.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Had to tighten up my clamps when i got home from FL, dripping coolant on my driveway.

I don't trust these fancy new type clamps, i just might change 'em out .

Second year in a row had a coolant leak.

I did this also over a year ago. I did not know about any fancy clamps. I just tighten them a little at a time until it quit leaking.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #9

When I had a transmission cooler leak on the 2017 chassis, I loosened the clamp so I cold slide the hose out an inch or so on the nipple of the cooler. The factory formed nipple is only about 1/2" long, then an extension is welded on that is about 2" longer. My clamp was positioned right on top of the welding bead and I always assumed the roughness of the welding bead allowed the leak. I just slipped the hose back all the way on and moved the clamp out beyond the welding bead and never had another problem.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ray 2 years ago at Gaffney the trans cooler had to be changed out, want a real

Saw coolant leaking in 2 spots, now that’s a real “ pucker “ moment, split on the weld, was no leak it was peeing.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the regular SS clamps on a splice in my heater hoses from PO. This summer in Alaska started leaking, tighten every day for 2-3 days then got to be twice a day.
Replaced with new clamps and made the rest of the trip with no problem.
Made it home no problem replace 5' of hose on both lines and used constant pressure clamps. The hose under the front cap seams to of been deteriorating, the long run of the hose seems fine and looks to be a terrible project, better put off for someday!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #12

If you have enough pipe under the hose to add a second hose clamp, do it.

But, make sure to verify that both are solidly on the pipe, not half on/half off.

And place the threads 180 degrees apart (not as important for constant torque clamps, but still a good practice.

BTW, double hose clamps are a requirement on marine applications below the water line.

Tags
cold weather, leak, leaks, radiator, vent, ventana