Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Boh

Newmar Owners Club
Cold Weather Travel

This is probably a pretty simple question but as a new DSDP owner I need to ask. My wife and I wille traveling over the Thanksgiving Holiday and will be taking the coach as it will be our sleeping quarters while visiting family. I know that the weather will be chilly while we are traveling and I want to make sure that we are warm and comfortable while we are on the road. Will the dash heat be enough to heat the coach while driving? If not, how do you keep warm when driving in cold weather? Sorry if this is very basic stuff but I would like to know.

Thanks

Boh
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Boh to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Here is a link for winter driving. Click the Quick Tips Link and there are many more threads for winter travel.
You need to run your furnace while traveling so plumbing doesn't freeze up and if your traveling from the north to south may not find camp grounds open and may have to park in Cracker Barrel or Wal-Mart on trip south. Stayed in C.B. up and down from N.E. last January.
If you have a ice maker leave it disconnected until your in warm weather the line does have a heater but back of fridge is so exposed why take a chance of freeze up.
Fill your water tank & hot water heater fill LP tanks or make sure you have enough diesel for over night stay to run furnace .
Everything is basic when we are learning.
Enjoy your trip stay warm and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Boh,
To stay warm while driving, use the auto dash heater. I have found the dash heater will take care of most all situations. The dash heater will keep the cockpit comfortable, no necessarily the coach. If you become uncomfortable, run your furnace.

It will take 5+ hours of being exposed to 29 degrees F or less to cause water to freeze.

There is an advantage to traveling in cold weather. No bugs on the front of the coach at the end of the day.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Boh

Newmar Owners Club
007 and Gary,

Thanks for the replies and valuable information on cold weather travel. So far I have only had to use the heat strips on the A/C units to heat the coach while parked and plugged into shore power. I have not yet used the furnace. I have about 3/4 of a tank of propane on board. To run the furnace while traveling will I also need to run the generator (which is also propane)? Will the engine alternator also charge the coach batteries while we are traveling or does it only charge the chassis batteries? If I sit and think about it I would probably come up with a bunch more questions. Reading this forum has been the greatest sorce of information for me so far along with information from my friend Jim who owns a 2000 MADP. We are looking forward to this trip and would like it to go smoothly. It normally takes us about 9 hours by car but we will be slowing down and hopefully enjoying the ride. We will get there when we get there, no rush.

Boh
Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Boh,
If your coach has a BIRD then the alternator will charge the coach batteries as you motor down the road. The BIRD (Bi Directional Isolator Relay) is located in the bay with the electric shore cord. It will be behind a panel held in place with screws or velcro. I do not know why you need to run the generator to run the furnace. Can you help me understand this?

Your coach may have a fan in the utility bay that will come on when the furnace fires up. This provides heat to the bay with the holding and fresh water tanks. You'll know if you have this fan as there will be an off/on switch in the utility bay (near the top left of the bay). While it is good to have the fan running, it will draw power from your coach batteries. If not connected to shore power, I would turn the fan on only if the temp was going to dip below 25 degrees for a considerable amount of time. If connected to shore power, go ahead and turn the fan on so you have one less thing to remember to do.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Boh

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary. Thanks for all of the great info. I do have a BIRD (which I had looked for and found from information in another post) but it looks like there is a fuse missing from one of the 4 fuse holders. I'm not sure what this is for or what the correct fuse would be to put in there.

My mistake on running the generator to run the furnace. I had it in my mind that this was necessary for some reason. I did fire up the furnace today after cleaning all of the floor ducts which were full of sand and leaves among other things. Fired up with no problem and let it run 2 hours thru several cycles.

I also ran the fan in the utility bay which warmed it up very nicely.

Now I am on the search for how to purge the air tanks of any water along with purging the fuel filter.

Also, we will be traveling thru PA on the Toll Road and will have to negotiate several tunnels. What are the restrictions on Propane in these tunnels?

Everyday is a learning experience and I am enjoying it very much.

Thanks again,

Boh
Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Boh,
Each of the air tanks should have a valve in the bottom of the tank. Sometimes the valves have a lanyard so the owner can empty each tank without crawling under the coach. Some coaches have no lanyard. If you have the lanyards they should exit above the front axle in the wheel well. Some are on the left and some on the right side of the coach. If you drain the tanks, they must be drained completely to ensure any water is removed. Between air and water, water will be the last to leave the tank after all the air is removed.

As to the fuel filter, just replace it. There may also be a fuel/water separator. For me, I'd also replace this. However, there may be a drain on the bottom of the fuel water separator. One can open the drain and take out a cup of fuel. If there is any water in the separator, it will be the first liquid out of the drain. If you replace the filters, pre-fill the filters with diesel fuel. When pre filling the filters fill through the small holes that surround the large center hole. I know it is a PITA but to be on the safe side one does not want air in the fuel system at the injectors.

I have been across PA many times. There has never been any restriction on coaches with propane moving through the tunnels.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Boh

At Thanksgiving time of year the temps 'Should' not be too cold, Your Dash heat will likely be plenty during the day,

and your furnace at night,

and with the Coach being at room temps your tanks will be good "unless" you get some unusual cold weather.

Not sure about that fuse but it likely should be replaced or at least ask the previous owner why it is not there!!!

Your Generator likely is Diesel powered,

Just Replace the Fuel Filters,

Have Fun

Rick
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Boh

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate your assistance. I will look for the lanyards tomorrow. If I can't find them them then I will be sliding underneath. I guess I will check out the Ball Joints while I am under there. I don't have any steering issues but all the chatter about Ball Joints on the Spartan Chassis does have me concerned.

Latitude,
Thanks for the reply. I probably should take a picture of the missing fuse and post it. As for the generator, it is actually a propane one.

Boh
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boh...........First welcome to IRV2, just look @ the great info you have received already, and that's why I enjoy it, always someone eager to help. Have a great trip for Thanksgiving and enjoy it, and we're kinda the same way, leave and in no hurry, just enjoy the ride. The best part of a trip is the preperation of getting ready.
As for heat, your furnace is operated by 12 volts, so the Generator is not necessary. If I may suggest what we use, a small ceramic heater from Wally World, and a small Inverter that plugs simply into the lighter socket. These little small space heaters really crank out some heat, typically 1500 watt is plenty, and they are thermostat controlled. This along with dash heat will keep you very comfortable while driving. JMHO
Good luck, happy trails & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a DP Done a lot of snowmobling in the high country' Had a lot of freezing trips; Seen a lot of motorhomes with the smoke/fire marks on the outside were the Furnace/water heater would flame to the outside of the coach. this is not to my liking;;; So to rectafiy that I purchesed a Marine hor water heater and had it mounted under the rear bed, It is 12 volt. Can be plumbed into the Front Heater water return line, And I will guarentee You on the Three way switch; We never run ours Above the low position.. It may cost a couple hundred bucks, But it is worth every Penny, When traveling you will be toasty;; Oh most coaches already have the motoraid water heater. So you can tap into that line..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Boh

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, Thanks for all of the super information. I found the lanyards that control the air tank evacuation. There are 3 of them, all different color. I have not been able to find any information on the color coding or if there is a certain sequence to use in pulling them to bleed off the water. Suggestions please and thank you in advance.

Boh
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just went through -3 to -4 weather

Before leaving New Brunswick Canada, to Montreal, through 87 (N York) - 287 (N Jersey) 78 - 81 Penn and Virginia etc. down to Dunedin Florida, for the winter, consulted the Senior members (007, Gary etc.) and followed their advice......NO problemos - did not have to use the furnace during travel most of the time - since -3 changed to ++s very fast.

I do thank the members again for the help and hope Boh, you have a great trip
Will be at the Tampa show (super) in January - do not think I will bring the Coach since the show is 30 minutes away from my Resort in Dunedin - will meet the members though and try to have some type of NKK registration (- Coach) !
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boh View Post
Okay, Thanks for all of the super information. I found the lanyards that control the air tank evacuation. There are 3 of them, all different color. I have not been able to find any information on the color coding or if there is a certain sequence to use in pulling them to bleed off the water. Suggestions please and thank you in advance.

Boh
There IS a very specific sequence for pulling the lanyards. (I can't find the instruction sheet that I got from Spartan around here ??). Call Spartan with your model and year of coach and I am sure they will send you a PDF, etc.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote