Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

Combination Desk/Dinette W/Rollaway Table

We are looking at ordering a 2014 DSDP 4038 and we need opinions on the Rollaway Table option. Does anyone have this option?
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

We don't have this option, but we saw the demo of it at the Newmar factory, and played with it a bit. I was impressed and would get it if I had the option now.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

This one?

This is how it sits 90% of the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7053.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	59579

Slides out 4 feet. The Corian is cut like a roll top desk. When it's in, it's rolled down the wall.

Name:	IMG_7054.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	59580

How far it sticks into the room when fully extended. We've had 4 adults sitting at it for supper before. It's to narrow to have the food dishes in the middle with 4 people at.

Name:	IMG_7057.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	59581

When It's just the 2 of us, we pull it out about 2 feet. One of the things we like about it, we have exactly as much table as we need at the time. The rest of the time it's our office desk.

When it put away with all the slides in, the chairs stick out further than any part of the table.

Name:	IMG_6499.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	59582
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

I forgot to add: When the slides are in we use the desk top as a table. You can't real pull enough out to set a plate on. Because the front feet roll across the floor and the raised slide floor, it would bind trying to pull it out.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Thanks PDR John. That's the kind on information we were looking for. We were looking at having a space to setup a cot for a grandkid once in a while.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

I didn't ask the question, but I was curious when I saw all the different options for tables/desks/booths. I'm still not sure what the "Free Standing Hidden Leaf Table" is.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Not to be the elephant in the room, I played with one last June that was at the manufacturers display in Elkhart, and broke it.

We like the concept and maybe they improved it. Just saying.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

wnytaxman: The back of it looks similar to the desk part of ours, but the table permanently sticks out 3 foot+-. Then you can grab the table and pull it out a foot, or the width of the hutch on the wall.

The table actually stays the same size, it just moves towards/away from the wall.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
wnytaxman: The back of it looks similar to the desk part of ours, but the table permanently sticks out 3 foot+-. Then you can grab the table and pull it out a foot, or the width of the hutch on the wall.

The table actually stays the same size, it just moves towards/away from the wall.

John, are you saying that it's basically the same set up but without the leaf? The different options are confusing without examples of what each one is.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We looked at it and passed. As for the free standing table, that's exactly what it is...free standing just like a kitchen or dining room table if I recall correctly. We opted for the table that looks just like the roll top setup without the legs and without a "slat" top. It's one solid piece that slides in and out. When it is in it will seat the two of us. When it is out it has no legs as it is fully supported by the buffet. We have had four sit at it quite comfortably and we're tall people. It alows a LOT of room in the center of the eating area/ passage area when it is pushed in. But be sure to ask a rep from Newmar to explain the differences to you before you order to be sure you get what you want and that all the explainations your getting (including mine) are accurate. They will explain it in detail to you. We love the option. Didn't want to have to be dodging the table legs all the time since our own legs are really long!
They're all good options. It just depends on what you need and how you'll be using it. good luck!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
John, are you saying that it's basically the same set up but without the leaf? The different options are confusing without examples of what each one is.

LongDogRanch gave a far better description.

We hardly ever use the table, which is why we choose the roll away.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

Thanks for the information. This is the best information I have found on this feature to date and appreciate that you took the time to take photos, post the photos, and explain. We are shopping and this is on our list of wants.
eaftalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #13

Thank you for taking the time to take photos, post the photos, and include explainations. We are shopping and looking at this particular item. This is the best information we have found to date so I wanted to say thank you.
eaftalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
Thanks PDR John. That's the kind on information we were looking for. We were looking at having a space to setup a cot for a grandkid once in a while.
We have this on order for exactly the reason you state. Our grandkid stays with us on a cot in our airstream and we have to walk around her. This way she has some space of her own. We ordered it with all four folding chairs because we seldom use the table for inside dining when we are on our own.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote