Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Comfort drive and other details.

Just got back from Tampa RV Super Show. Fine tuning our quest.
Need Advice on Newmar Ventana 4036 (which I cant find one new or used) versus Fleetwood Discovery 40E.
We like the storage on the 40E but dont like the dinette. We prefer the booth seating rather than a couple of chairs.
Since both are 41' I'm surprised the Ventana has a tag axle and the Discovery does not.
Also the Ventana has the comfort drive and the Discovery does not.
We plan on being on the road 4-6 months per year.
We test drove a smaller Ventana with comfort drive and the Discovery. For the brief ride it was hard to tell the difference.
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #2

Good luck with your choice. We had a 2006 fleetwood Discovery and had zero problems with it. IMHO the combination of the tag and Comfort Drive will give a much easier driving experience. Comfort Drive is the real deal, but you need longer than a short test drive to experience it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You need to be able to test drive on open highway with a 25 to 40 mph crosswind. Then you will appreciate the combination of tag and comfort steer.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Also the Ventana has the comfort drive and the Discovery does not. We plan on being on the road 4-6 months per year. We test drove a smaller Ventana with comfort drive and the Discovery. For the brief ride it was hard to tell the difference.
gamechanger … here is my take on the comfort drive.

When I first took the 15 minute test drive of a Ventana several years ago, I did not come away with a “gotta have it impression” of the comfort drive system … but after being behind the wheel for an hour on our first trip is when I realized the real benefit of it. When I typically had a long driving day of +/- 500 miles or more in my former coach (a Tiffin Breeze) my shoulders were very sore and ached that night. Doing the same type of day in the Ventana and now the Dutch Star results in no soreness. The system adjusts to a “constant” driving condition, one over about 20 or 30 seconds so will not really help with the sudden gusts or changing crosswinds. If it is a constant crosswind … it will adjust and take the pull right out of the steering. You can also adjust it to be loose or tight. I keep mine adjusted to a fairly tight setting.

It's a winner --- sorry for the ad!!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
gamechanger … here is my take on the comfort drive.

When I first took the 15 minute test drive of a Ventana several years ago, I did not come away with a “gotta have it impression” of the comfort drive system … but after being behind the wheel for an hour on our first trip is when I realized the real benefit of it. When I typically had a long driving day of +/- 500 miles or more in my former coach (a Tiffin Breeze) my shoulders were very sore and ached that night. Doing the same type of day in the Ventana and now the Dutch Star results in no soreness. The system adjusts to a “constant” driving condition, one over about 20 or 30 seconds so will not really help with the sudden gusts or changing crosswinds. If it is a constant crosswind … it will adjust and take the pull right out of the steering. You can also adjust it to be loose or tight. I keep mine adjusted to a fairly tight setting.

It's a winner --- sorry for the ad!!

Steve
X2 on Steve's comments. if you go to the Newmar website you will find a lot of info on the Comfort Drive.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

The one thing that is not often mentioned about comfort drive is the ease of backing up with CD. Since the wheel self centers as you see your destination appear centered in the rear camera simply letting go of the wheel (letting it center) and you will be put right in line with your target.

Makes backing into a spot much easier.

Happy and safe travels-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'd be very concerned about the loading of a 41' coach that doesn't have a tag. I expect that rear axle is very close to the weight limit without any cargo.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2010 Ventana 4333 with tag axle. I have to second the comments of the others about Comfort Drive and the tag axle. Last year I pooh-pooed the comfort drive until I tried it myself and was headed toward purchase of a new Entegra Anthem before deciding on the Ventana.

My 11,000 mile trip to the west coast this past summer changed that impression very quickly! The descent and climb through Flaming Gorge Reservoir in WY with a 30-mph direct crosswind was literally a breeze that I attribute to the comfort drive.

My coach was weighed this week at the Tampa Show with the tag axle at 8,000 lbs and a total operating weight of 34,000 lbs. This gives me an additional 10,000 lbs between the drive and steer axle to get up to GVWR. So I have quite a bit of extra capacity for friends, equipment, baggage or driving with full fuel and water.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
In this link you will find everything Newmar, construction, features, build quality and other tidbits.
In my signature below are three links to many other items found in a Newmar and QT's # 3 has links to the Hoots of 2013 new coach's and three people that were in the same process for 2014 coach's, that you are doing looking for their new Newmar's.
Good luck and enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote