Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Comfort Drive Dilemma

I have read that most Newmar owners would not drive another dp without CD. I have test driven a dp with CD, read about it and watched videos, and will be in the market for a used Newmar dp.

I plan to drive around the U.S., but I have time, and I don’t like to spend more than 3 hours on the road, and not all in one go. I will be on my trips between a few weeks to a few months at a time.

I have three questions for the members, but let me set up the hypothetical first.

I have two used Newmar diesel pushers to choose from, both of equal quality, well maintained, and in great, verified condition, and 34 feet long. (Don't worry about the length being adequate for the total trip time please.)

Newmar dp “A” has comfort drive and its fair value is $110,000. Newmar dp “B” is a few years older, doesn’t have comfort drive, and its fair value is $60,000.

Question 1: would you advise me to buy “A” or “B?”
Question 2: if both were 39 feet long, would you advise me to buy “A” or “B?”
Question 3: if you own a dp without comfort drive and you could buy a comfort drive after-market install, (and you can’t so this is a bit of a stretch), how much would you be willing to pay for that upgrade, assuming you aren’t planning on trading up? And, no, this is not a marketing question, just an attempt to understand how strong of decision factor this is.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My coach does not have CD. I have driven coaches with CD. Answers to your Qs are:
1. Buy the coach with CD. We're all getting older and health can change very quickly.
2. Coach "A". Any coach with CD is better than a coach without CD.
3. $20K. I'd camp out to be first in line.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Comfort Drive Dilemma

With the huge difference in price between A. and B. There must be other amenities in the favor of A. Does it have a larger engine? Larger generator ? Aqua-hot? It can't be just the comfort-drive that makes it $50K more.

Have you driven both A and B ? This should make the difference comfort drive makes even more apparent.

Can you elaborate?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Thanks Gary. If your response holds up for the most part, it will be good that I budgeted for the more expensive (due to the 2008 and later date) and usually longer CD used Newmar units. Hopefully and soon, maybe I will be able to get out of this mental looping back and forth.

It kind of knocks out a lot of other (to remain unstated) diesel choices and otherwise acceptable gas units as well. But, a tight purchase search has its value.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Hi pasdad1, this is a hypothetical. I need to really know, from experienced members, just how much CD should, by itself, mean to my decision process, and what it means to them, should I choose to listen to members. If I'm unwilling to take their advice, I better have a good reason...right!

Mixing in other factors keeps me from weighing its importance...and yes it is judgmental, maybe unfair, unreasonable, a poor hypothetical, probably biased, nonsensical, and messy.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

Another underlying implication pasdad1 is when I'm determining fair value on a used unit, compared to an other wise equally desirable competitors unit, might this or might this not, encourage me to pay a premium for the Newmar unit if the unit I wanted was not available from a private party, but only from a dealer or a harder-to-deal-with private owner, and I can afford a few dollars more,...just food for thought.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
1. B
2. B
3. You can be 2nd in line and still have $30k in your pocket.

Hypothetically speaking!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

Great JohnT, you have opened a whole can of worms...but that's what I need to consider, except for getting into line!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roger....
I hesitate to jump in. I do not own a Comfort Drive equipped coach, and have never driven one, but have read with interest the accolades proffered by those who have.

My 12 y/o DS/Freightliner rides well and tracks straight. I have had days when my only indication of crosswind has been external and visual; other days when I've actually had to drive the coach. Like you, we typically drive 3-5 hours per day, max. I can honestly say that the only times I've felt exhausted were the few times we logged 600-mile days, but I believe that related more to miles than conditions.

Having said all that, my response to your questions would be B, B, and $0, with my only caveat being ROI.

Comfort Drive is without question an impressive piece of engineering, but from my perspective, in my coach, it is a solution in search of a problem.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

Thanks JFXG, looks like I asked the right question. Answers are getting interesting.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

I drive a 43 tag, it does not have CD but drives really good. I have never drove a coach with CD so I can only imagine what it might feel like but I am happy enough with the way things are that I would not even consider spending even $2000 (or whatever) to get CD or any other steering improvement installed... (JMHO)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #12

I have CD , the engineering makes the steering column very wide hitting my knees. It tracks well and smooth but in a good wind I still get blown around pretty good and have to two fist the wheel. I have a 34 footer.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
I have CD , the engineering makes the steering column very wide hitting my knees. It tracks well and smooth but in a good wind I still get blown around pretty good and have to two fist the wheel. I have a 34 footer.
I didn't think 2008 Ventana's had CD?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

Yes, the Ventana's in 2008 had CD. In fact, that year is the buying used "starting point" for me "IF" I decide the CD is a critical must have, which would reduce my choices significantly and require me to up my budget to $100,000 or $125,000 cash budget, about $25k higher than I would prefer, since I plan on top of that another $10 to $20K for upgrades, repairs, verifications, etc. Plus, I need to get a jeep toad.