Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #15

Tom, Ken gave me a reset procedure when my coach stopped running while the wheels were in a hard cut (main breaker blew).
His directions were to start the coach then turn the wheel to the left as far as I could, the to the right as far as I could. Then to keep repeating this 10 times, I think he said. Well in my case after the 6th cycle BOOM CD kicked in and has been operating fine since (this was a couple of years ago). Ken explained the reset protocol CD follows and I was thinking that you might try it.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #16

You only need to steer it from one end of travel to the other once, then steer it slowly back and forth from 90 degrees left of straight ahead to 90 degrees right of straight ahead and back. Five to ten cycles across straight ahead should make a good CD wake up. If it doesn't, it's time for that diagnostic program I already mentioned.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
then steer it slowly back and forth from 90 degrees left of straight ahead to 90 degrees right of straight ahead and back.
Can you dumb that down so I can understand 90 degrees left of straight?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I have not heard of any comfort steer issues prior. Is this common or rare?
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
I have not heard of any comfort steer issues prior. Is this common or rare?

Rare. Mine happened when the main coach breaker blew and the engine died while backing into a spot. My wheels was cut to the stops when it went out
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #20

Rare from what I've heard. Mine was working perfectly well in late Nov. when we returned from Penn. then when I went to fill with fuel two weeks ago it was not. Since my shed sometimes has mice I assumed a chewed wire but that was not the case. Will go in shop week after next for diagnostic. I will post the results.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Farmer Tom - (sorry for the hijack) the best method I have found for mice control is to put warfarin inside a live catch mouse trap and place one beside each wheel. They go for the warfarin and get trapped. Also other pets can't eat the poison. Worked great for my 5er for years. No mouse Shiite inside.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #22

comfort drive not working: RESOLVED

Good news on my comfort drive repair. Picked up our unit today and it seems the problem involved an inactive code 35 and an active code 105 per diagnostic run. When active code reset was performed according to service manual system became active. The technician had no suggestions why codes became active. Ken perhaps you would have idea here. I was very well pleased with shop that performed work. Anyone in Lafayette, LA area in need of Spartan or Tiffin chassis work i can recommend Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV. He was very professional and accepted the printout i had with diagnostic manual and suggestions from Ken. Thanks for help with this issue and hoping it does not reoccur.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Can you dumb that down so I can understand 90 degrees left of straight?
1. Start with the roadwheels straight ahead.
2. Turn the steering wheel about 1/4 of a turn to the left.
3. Then turn the steering wheel from that position 1/2 a turn to the right which will leave it at 1/4 turn to the right of straight ahead.
4. Continue turning the steering wheel slowly between the points 1/4 turn left of SA and 1/4 turn right of SA.

The important part is that you must cross the place where the CD thinks is SA. This point may vary a bit depending on just how the coach builder assembled it.

Does that help?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Good news on my comfort drive repair.

Ken perhaps you would have idea here.

I'm so happy you got that resolved. When I retired, I did not take the list of fault codes and their causes with me as they belong to the company, not me. I have asked one of the engineers I worked with what causes a fault 35 and we'll see what sort of answer comes back. I'm curious too.

Ken
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
1. Start with the roadwheels straight ahead.
2. Turn the steering wheel about 1/4 of a turn to the left.
3. Then turn the steering wheel from that position 1/2 a turn to the right which will leave it at 1/4 turn to the right of straight ahead.
4. Continue turning the steering wheel slowly between the points 1/4 turn left of SA and 1/4 turn right of SA.

The important part is that you must cross the place where the CD thinks is SA. This point may vary a bit depending on just how the coach builder assembled it.

Does that help?

It does thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #26

comfort drive not working

Ken you are probably already aware of this but the 105 code is set when too many other codes are set too often (TRW diagnostic manual). If the 35 code is the only one showing it must have been set multiple times. The technician has said that no parts in the CD were serviceable so if this happens again the next step is replacement of the unit. I will talk to him tomorrow to see if he also could get interpretation of code. I assume he should be able to go to Spartan to get code data. I will be taking a few short trips before our summer trip West when we propose to be gone for about 3 months. Hopefully we can get this resolved before then. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #27

PM sent.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #28

comfort drive not working

PM sent