Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
cwg

We have friends who are attending the Holiday Rambler Pusher rally in Goshen, IN. and yesterday during one of the seminars, Monaco announced that certain of their coaches will be equipped with Comfort Drive in 2010 models.

So it looks like the exclusive agreement is coming to an end with Newmar.

Also of interest is that Eaton's Vorad system is being purchased by Monaco and that it will have a name change and be available again in 2010 (proprietary to them only?). Apparently Eaton had ceased using Vorad in the rv application for the past year's model. One of my friends had tried to have it as an option for a 2009 model but could not obtain it, which dovetails what the seminar attendees were told.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
cwg

We have friends who are attending the Holiday Rambler Pusher rally in Goshen, IN. and yesterday during one of the seminars, Monaco announced that certain of their coaches will be equipped with Comfort Drive in 2010 models.

So it looks like the exclusive agreement is coming to an end with Newmar.

Also of interest is that Eaton's Vorad system is being purchased by Monaco and that it will have a name change and be available again in 2010 (proprietary to them only?). Apparently Eaton had ceased using Vorad in the rv application for the past year's model. One of my friends had tried to have it as an option for a 2009 model but could not obtain it, which dovetails what the seminar attendees were told.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi cwg,
I must say IMHO that the "Comfort Drive" chassis did feel very nice to drive. I wonder which models are going to have that system. Could it be Safari and Beaver? I've always kind of wondered what was going to happen to those to brand names in the future since Monoco bought them out.
What is a "Vorad "system? It kind of sounds like marine radar to me.

AKBrick
Old 05-09-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
cwg

My friends at the rally did not mention which models Monaco will choose to incorporate with CD. As in Newmar, it may take a model year or so to bring it out in all of the higher end models.

As far as Vorad, it is an onboard collision avoidance system. There are sensors on the front and sides of the coach to inform the driver of other vehicles in the blind spots... it further serves to space one's vehicle behind any other leading vehicle by dialing in the amount of distance you wish. Set the cruise and it will automatically slow one down and keep the same distance behind.

I personally liked it when I drive my friend's rigs with it equipped. Some of the criticisms are that it sets off from guard rails, etc., but I did not have that experience. I think there is some degree of sensitivity that can be dialed in, also. There is much discussion of Vorad in the archives section of the forum.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Set the cruise and it will automatically slow one down and keep the same distance behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob had it on his LADB.

I couldn't use my conventional cruise control following him, as the Vorad would constantly change his speed.

If I was leading, his Vorad constantly kept him right behind me.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is a "Vorad "system? It kind of sounds like marine radar to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's an anti-collision/radar cruise control system made by Eaton. Here is lots of information about it from Eaton's web site. You can add it as an aftermarket item on just about any coach. Since I have a similar system on my Infiniti automobile, that I really enjoy, I briefly considered adding it to my Dip - until I looked into how much it would cost.

Here's more information form the Holiday Rambler owner's magazine.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #7

The Vorad was (is?) a component system that had forward-looking radar that worked with the cruise control to maintain a safe following distance to the vehicle in front of you. You could set your cruise at 70 mph and motor on nicely. Then, some little old lady pulls out in front of you and wants to run 67 mph. Your Vorad would slow you down to 67 mph to follow her. You don't have to keep fiddling with the cruise settings. That's pretty hard, you know.

But that's not the end of the story. It also had side-looking radar to tell tou about vehicles beside you, below your mirrors, if they aren't adjusted perfectly. To top it off, it had rear-looking radar to tell you if there's something behind you.

It was a cool gadget. Do I have it - nope. Do I want it - yup. Will mama pay for it - nope.

Oh, well!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #8

Here's an article I did in January on the VORAD. LINK HERE

Peter
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Set the cruise and it will automatically slow one down and keep the same distance behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob had it on his LADB.

I couldn't use my conventional cruise control following him, as the Vorad would constantly change his speed.

If I was leading, his Vorad constantly kept him right behind me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Literally.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As I preferred it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #11

Wow! This could be tough for those Monaco sales people that said "Comfort Drive, say what! Over rated!"
It's going to be hard to swallow. This is the best thing they will see, until they at least increase the tire sizes. 2:95 on a Signature weight coach does not cut it. It's wake up time.
But, hey, they will have a great steering enhancement, the best.

Peter
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #12

Perhaps someone "in the know" can correct me, but I'm thinking Monaco will have to come up with a different name for the steering assist. I believe "Comfort Drive" was a marketing term, perhaps even a registered TM, created by Newmar. Didn't TRW call it something different before the Newmar exclusive arrangement began?. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

TRW's "official" name for it is Column Drive.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #14

It'll be interesting to see how Monaco handles Eaton's VORAD. It's in use on commercial trucks. I have it and would never want a coach without it. The Smart Cruise feature is positively the boss...