Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Comfort Drive Power

Yesterday I, stupidly, dropped the jacks with too large an electrical load on the engine and managed to "pop" the main engine breaker. After everything came to halt, engine would not start, no instrument lights, etc. Took me about 5 minutes of searching before I realized what had overloaded.

Anyhow reset the breaker and everything seems good except my comfort drive seems to not be working. I have been searching for the fuse/breaker location for it but haven't found it yet. Could I impose upon you for direction in helping me locate it?

Thanks-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...ya gonna have to explain that one to me. How did you have too much electrical load and pop something? I'm not trying to call you an idiot because I truly can't think of a situation that can happen to cause that but, then again, I'm still learnin' lots of stuff.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I've managed to pop that main DC breaker a few times too, so don't feel bad. It's usually when the HWH jacks are running, and I think it's a current overdraw on the pump motor.

What do you mean "comfort drive not working"? What's the symptoms? If it's just that you need more force to turn the wheel, have you checked that you didn't inadvertently turn the control knob all the way down?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

comfort drive

I would call Newmar customer service and they can probably quickly tell you where to look. I also would be interested in more detail on what caused the breaker to trip as I don't get it either. We always leave the engine running while we level to hopefully reduce strain on the batteries, and likewise, we plug in to shore power before we open any slides. not sure if Newmar recommends that, but we're going to ask them when we're back at the factory in October.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It's been reported a few times on iRV2, and not just by me. I've talked to both Spartan and Newmar about it, and they don't know why. I think it's happened to me twice in five years, so I'm not going to stress over it. Resetting the breaker is pretty quick, as long as you can open the engine hatch. If you have something blocking the hatch, then it could be a pain.

As for the Comfort Drive problem, I think the OP either turned the adjustment knob down by mistake while trying to figure out the power problem, or MAYBE they blew a fuse specific to the Comfort Drive. Newmar would be able to tell you where that fuse is, if there is one.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Thanks all I will give Newmar a call. I had the engine running and security, headlamps and docking lights on, dash air as well. I should have known better but the circumstances were extenuating. I usually leave the engine running but do turn off ac and typically I am not pulling in way after dark (this is a coe campground with no one within a quarter mile of me). The lights would typically be off.
Don't think I am an idiot (mom had me tested ).

My coach it's a 2008 Essex and does not have variable comfort drive but that was a great suggestion. The symptom is that there appears to be little assist to the starting my only idea was that the comfort drive system is not on line.

I too wait till I am on shore power before deploying the slides (when it it's available)

Thanks all
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

Comfrt drive

Glad I saw this thread, now we'll know what to do when/if it happens to us.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Newmar has handed me off to Spartan. Waiting for a call back, thanks again everyone
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Send a PM to Ken Sherwin he designed the system he may have your answer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
I would call Newmar customer service and they can probably quickly tell you where to look. I also would be interested in more detail on what caused the breaker to trip as I don't get it either. We always leave the engine running while we level to hopefully reduce strain on the batteries, and likewise, we plug in to shore power before we open any slides. not sure if Newmar recommends that, but we're going to ask them when we're back at the factory in October.
On our DSDP the owners manual specifically states that you should be on shore power or the generator running before moving the slides. I usually don't worry about it when leveling though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Thank you all sui much for your guidance, 007 you must be psychic! Ken saw my post and messaged me, then called me with the procedure to diagnose a fault and also the procedure to reset the CD system.

The reset worked perfectly, and was very simple to do although my nerves were on edge for a few moments! Ken was kind enough to send me a document that, with ken's permission, I will post.

Thank you all again and especially Ken.
Steve
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #12

I'm glad you had no serious problem. Route66 brought it to my attention so send him an adult beverage, Steve.

As far as posting the entire 10 page document, the nice folks here might not appreciate it. I wish Newmar would put it in the manual but I've not been able to get that accomplished yet.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You can put it in the Files section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post

As far as posting the entire 10 page document, the nice folks here might not appreciate it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I frequently notify Ken about Comfort Drive issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
Route66 brought it to my attention

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote