RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #1

08 dsdp been in the shop for 60 days because of such a slow response on newmars part....If they are one of the best,,,then I hate to see the worst. Then had it in the Chassis shop a few days axel not straight etc.... on the way home comfort drive quit.......now I know how it is to drive one without it. got it home and cycled the ignition and its back on....what the heck????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #2

08 dsdp been in the shop for 60 days because of such a slow response on newmars part....If they are one of the best,,,then I hate to see the worst. Then had it in the Chassis shop a few days axel not straight etc.... on the way home comfort drive quit.......now I know how it is to drive one without it. got it home and cycled the ignition and its back on....what the heck????

Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #3

Sounds more like a dealer issue to me. Newmar is 1-2 days with parts out to dealers. Sounds like a screw up on the dealers behalve and them passing the blame onto Newmar.
Speak up Newmar owners, have ANY of you had a parts hold up from Newmar?
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

I would also ask if this could be a dealer issue. I generally get my service done at Newmar in Napanee. They have the parts and will ship same day or next to their dealer. In the past I remember something about a minimum order from the dealer to avoid extra costs. I don't recall exactly what it was but maybe something here is similar.

Peter
Old 12-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #5

Ditto on dealer-bad. The couple times I needed a part, Newmar had parts in the mail drop-shipped to me practically before my dealer hung-up the phone placing the order. So, if the order got placed, it seems Newmar delivers, pronto.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto, when dealer tried to deliver our new Ventana the front windshield was chipped in several places, happened on the trip from Napennee to Eugene OR. Once the dealership got around to ordering new windshield it took 2 days to get to OR. Took the dealer several weeks to remember to order the part. Dealer also ordered cabinet hardware for the Cabinetmaker for installation of aftermarket Dining Room Table and cabinets, took less than 2 days to get parts.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #7

My experience with Newmar shipping parts is also great....VERY quick delivery of everything I have needed...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
clnhse: Hi. Can you describe what it's like to drive when Comfort Drive quits??? We're interested in a rig with Comfort Drive and were wondering about this. Sorry about your bad experience....we know it's NOT fun. We did have to have our 06 Newmar rig in for servicing in May-ish of 06 and did have to WAIT a pretty lengthy time for replacement A/C and some other parts which I didn't consider to be a problem caused by the Service Center we were at. We DO LOVE our Newmar rig however and except for problematic servicing issues for us owners, it's likely the only rig we'd buy again. Steve & Lynette
Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Can you describe what it's like to drive when Comfort Drive quits??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It drives just like your coach. No more difficult or different than a coach without Comfort Drive.

I have driven the test drive coach at Newmar and Larry turns the Comfort Drive on after you start out with it off.

The test coach was an '08 DSDP, and it drove just like my '07 DSDP when the Comfort Drive was turned off.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #10

I drove an Essex test coach with the same set up as Dirk desribes. I found it somewhat heavier than a standard TRW drive system, perhaps closer to a coach without power steering. To my knowledge, there has been zero failures of CD after delivery. This certainly sounds like an electrical fault, possibly caused at time of service, that may well have nothing to do with the actual CD unit internally. If you can turn the key off and then on to fix it, it ain't too broken.

Peter
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #11

The reason it feels heavier with it off is you are comparing it to when it is on. The actual measurements say it adds less than 4 ounces of force on the wheel, compared to 6 pounds to turn a corner. You are absolutely right that it is heavier, but the difference is small. (You did use the word 'somewhat'.)

You are also right that any serious fault will not allow the unit to power back up after engine restart.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #12

I have owned Newmar motorhomes since 1999 and I have never had a problem with parts delivery. The needed part is usually shipped overnight and the longest I have had to wait was two days. In all these years I have never left a motorhome at a dealer to be repaired. I stay with the motorhome and if a part needs to be ordered I spend the night in the motorhome and get it repaired the next day when to part arrives.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #13

This is my first mh so I never have owned one without cd. I was on a two lane rode when it stopped working. It felt like driving a old car with no power steering. I never knew how helpful cd was until it quit. Every movement right or left had to be brought back to center. When I got home and backed it up my drive way I had to center the wheel. With cd all I do is take my hands off the wheel and it centers itself. It was not really dangerous when it quit it just scared the s$%&& out of me. I used it again this weekend with no problems.