Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I'm confused as what I have read out of the 2018 DS operating guide seems to state just the opposite [ATTACH]
1 is less dampening and 5 is more
I have discussed this in several threads in the last 10 years but the short version is this:

Comfort Drive actively controls the amount of torque that the driver feels, based on steering wheel position, ground speed, and the setting of the efforts control by the driver. Smaller numbers cause lighter efforts and larger numbers cause heavier efforts. More or less power or more or less damping have to do with the power in the electric motor drive that are largely controlled by the steering gear and are therefore irrelevant to what is happening at the steering wheel.

The only relevant statement is this: Smaller numbers cause lighter efforts and larger numbers cause heavier efforts.

I have already discussed several times why I will not comment on response to rapid air loss in a steer tire other than to say I would much rather have an operating CD than to not have it. It has a much faster response time than I have.

If you want to know just how the CD performs its magic, read my patents about it just as our competitors do. It is not a topic of public discussion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I'm confused as what I have read out of the 2018 DS operating guide seems to state just the opposite [ATTACH]
1 is less dampening and 5 is more
I can't really comment on what you've read Stuart. I can only comment on experiences with my own coach and my own usage of it. I will say that as you use it, you end up with your own preferences of where to put the dial under different circumstances. I like about 4.5 normally and about 2.5 on those gusty journeys. For me, those are MY preferences. Theres no right or wrong about it. You'll develop your own 'sweet spots' with it. We are all different. Ken seems to basically mirror what I've said, and he even elaborated it in much more technical detail.

I think he really summed it up best by saying, "The only relevant statement is this: Smaller numbers cause lighter efforts and larger numbers cause heavier efforts." That's pretty much exactly whats playing out with it and what the experience is using it.

I would suggest maybe test driving one with it (even on a windy day) if you're curious about it now before getting your new coach and see what you think about it. I don't think you'll be disappointed or cancelling your order any time soon though.
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Dave and Ken, I really appreciate the lesson, when I test drove with the dealer they were saying just the opposite. They said that in windy conditions I would want to increase the number for more control.. knowing what I know now (thanks to you guys) I'm sure when I get the motorhome and play with it it will make perfect sense.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #46

Another CD story: In the early days, we experimented a lot with the steering wheel torque settings that people preferred. I discovered that some people quickly got used to any changes I made but many others were VERY vocal about what they liked and didn't like. What surprised me the most was how repeatable they were in their preferences. As I changed settings (or only pretended to), they could come back to their 'happy spot' to easily one part in 40. Driver A had a setting that worked for him and driver B had a setting that worked for him but the two settings could be very different. A few, myself included, liked different settings at different times. There isn't just one correct answer.

I guess I should not have been surprised that different people like different things.
Developing this product was one of the most fun times in my career. Thank you all for participating in my adventure.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Dave and Ken, I really appreciate the lesson, when I test drove with the dealer they were saying just the opposite. They said that in windy conditions I would want to increase the number for more control.. knowing what I know now (thanks to you guys) I'm sure when I get the motorhome and play with it it will make perfect sense.
i test drove a DS on the FL chassis at mt comfort back in may. breezy day, not windy but you could feel it a little. I'm used to my tiffin and how she handles without any steering assist. to me, on 5 it was like I'm used to. pretty stiff and required some effort to steer, but felt solid.

on 1 it felt like jello. like a car with really sensitive steering. i didn't like it as much at first. just seemed way to easy. put it on 4 and left it there for the rest of the drive, until i got back to the dealership, and then put it on 1 for the slow speed turns.

so i figure i'll be 4-5 on the road and 1 in maneuvers at slow speeds, to make it easier.

but i'll play with it at a low number setting in the wind and see. it will take some getting used to, and then i imagine i'll evolve with it over time. looking forward to playing with it to see how it works....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
When the dealer told me higher in the wind, I thought oh that makes sense as you want to keep the wheel straight. What I'm hearing is at 1 or so you have more power to correct, takes the fight out.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
In my opinion, the lower the number the more likely you're going to over steer and over correct and fatigue yourself. In rougher conditions the higher number/setting is better so you don't fight the rig and let it compensate for you.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
When the dealer told me higher in the wind, I thought oh that makes sense as you want to keep the wheel straight. What I'm hearing is at 1 or so you have more power to correct, takes the fight out.
You're somewhat getting the idea. I don't really use 1, as I think it takes away too much 'feel' for my liking...or maybe I should say, at least I haven't found MY use for 1 quite yet. But yes, the lower settings do substantially help take the 'fight' out, as you put it.

On days with cross-winds, I'm able to basically drive long distances, relaxed, and with my hand rested on the wheel (even with just 2 fingers). And the coach will track well. When we arrive at our destination, I am NO-where near as fatigued as I was with our former (which was a Fleetwood). I used to feel like I was wrestling a grizzly bear for 8 hours when we arrived and wasn't exactly enthusiastic about 'setting up camp' at that point. Now, its not really an issue...I'm just not as fatigued I guess.

Hopefully, this has all helped add more perspective and you will find your own preferences as you use it in different conditions.

Ken has been really great with sharing his technical knowledge of CD and was an unplanned bonus when I started this thread. lol I got a lot from what he's added as well!

Over all, I think you will be very pleased and impressed with your new coach Stuart. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
In my opinion, the lower the number the more likely you're going to over steer and over correct and fatigue yourself. In rougher conditions the higher number/setting is better so you don't fight the rig and let it compensate for you.
That may be your preference with it. That's ok. For me, I don't find it that way at all. I find that I'm more relaxed without the fight in those conditions using the lower #s. The higher numbers seem (to me anyway) more of a fight with the wind, road, passing semi's, etc. like my former coach used to be (without CD) and certainly not a pleasure to drive as I find my LA to be. Which has CD and is certainly A LOT heavier as well.

But, like I said... Theres really no right or wrong with it...everyone has there own preferences with it. Which is why another cool thing about it is, that it's so adjustable.

Hope you're enjoying your new coach Neal...safe travels!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #52

Nor'easters Club
I drive with my CD set at 4 pretty much all the time. I also feel that the lower number setting defeats the CD effect and makes you oversteer more. On 4, my DS drives like my SUV.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post

If you want to know just how the CD performs its magic, read my patents about it just as our competitors do. It is not a topic of public discussion.

Ken I would love to read more about CD, can you point me in the right direction please.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Just read this and it helped me understand, thanks again Ken;
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
Here's the problem with instructions on how to use CD because it's sorta like instructions on where to set your radio volume. It depends.

For example, I know 2 Essex owners with who like about the same efforts setting in normal driving but in gusty wind, one of them turns up the efforts to hold him on center better and the other one turns it down to make it easier to chase the inevitable lane drift from the sideload. Which one of those do I put in the instructions and who do I tell that he's not doing it right?

The instructions have already been written by Dan. Set it where you want it now and if you want to set it someplace else at some other time for what seems to be a good reason (or no reason at all), go for it. That knob is called the driver-controllable efforts because that's yours to control the way you want it right then, and NOBODY (including me) can tell you you're doing it wrong.

All that said, here's how I use it.

First thing in the morning, I set it about 3 or 3-1/2 but as the day wears on, I turn it progressively lighter. After several hours in the seat when I should stop to stretch out my sore back, I could turn it full heavy, lean forward, and drive with my elbows on the wheel. Nobody I know EVER does that, though. Had I done that (but of course I didn't), after a few minutes of stretching, I could lean back, turn it back down, and drive normally. Then poor planning puts me in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic, all doing 60 mph in the rain, right next to me. I know there is an idiot within eyesight but I don't know which one he is. I'm so busy paying attention to everything outside that it overwhelms my fingers and I can't feel the steering so I turn it up to nearly full heavy.

Another guy I know sets it a 2 and has left it there for the last 3 years. Which one of the four I've mentioned is doing it right? The answer is "All of us".

Enjoy it, because there's no wrong answer.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #55

I have over 450 posts on IRV2, nearly all of them covering some aspect of Comfort Drive. You might want to search some of them some rainy day.

Another source of information could be the instructions for the diagnostic software. This is located in the files section of IRV2 at:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=216
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Will do