RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Comparing Maxair II and Fantastic Ultra Breeze vent covers

Has anyone replaced Maxair II vent covers with the Fantastic Ultrabreeze covers and was there improved air movement? Motor noise reduction?

Our dealer installed large Maxair II vent covers over our two Fantastic vents when we purchased over a year ago. Overall, though, we've found the fans aren't pushing the air as well as we experienced in our previous Class C. Besides being a smaller coach it did NOT have an additional vent cover either. I saw this video at and it looks convincing. We'd like to reduce AC usage and keep air moving with summer nearly upon us.

As always, your input is welcomed,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rosannemarie,
I can not answer your question. However, I got rid of my Fantastic? Fans and got Maxxair products. Go to Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan and read about the product. I purchased the deluxe model. I'll never go back to Fantastic fans.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Fantastic vents open wide and have rain sensors that close when it rains when rain stops will reopen.
If Covers were placed on them would cut down air flow out of coach.
I have two in coach moves air very well.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
My Fantastic vents open very wide as well. I actually bought MaxAir II covers as I was told they would work, and I can say they didn't come close to fitting. I guess my question on the above Ultra breeze vent covers only allowing the vent to open 6" would the vent automatically bump and stop trying to open or would they sit nue to try and open>
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Have you looked at the MaxxAir Fan/Mate Rain Covers? We have two of them and they provide more air flow than the MaxxAir IIs.

Maxxair Fan/Mate

Sue
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
Have you looked at the MaxxAir Fan/Mate Rain Covers? We have two of them and they provide more air flow than the MaxxAir IIs.

Maxxair Fan/Mate

Sue
X2 ( or 3 since that is how many I have). Works great and extra protection against leaks.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

When I asked about having a cover installed over the fantastic fan in my new coach, the service advisor (who I used to work with and trust his opinion) said the MaxxAir 2 covers work fine with a fantastic fan. Yes they don't allow quite as much as the really large covers, but I've found the MaxxAir 2 cover allows sufficient air flow. Also when the motorized vent cover opens and contacts the MaxxAir 2 cover, the motor senses the contact and stops.

Even though my fantastic fan has a rain sensor I'd rather have a cover since I keep the vent open most of the time, and would rather not have ANY rain enter the coach before the sensor detects it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
All I know is that I bought two MaxAir II covers got on top of my coach which has two Fantastic fans with the appropriate tools for installation and the covers would not fit with the vents open or closed. There was no way to attach to the fan base as the directions for installation. This caught me as odd as there are specific instructions for putting them on the fantastic fans. maybe I will get up there again and take another look, but they didnt fit a month ago when I tried.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We bought the fantastic cover for over our fan above the living room. I was surprised to see the vent cover was stopped due to hitting the cover. It looked to me that it only opened about 3/4 of what it did without the cover. We have not noticed a difference exhausting the air. I guess I thought the vent opening would not be restricted. (my reason for Fantastic cover) We have now added a MaxxAir over the bathroom and other than getting on to the roof and seeing the different covers we have not noticed any difference. Our main reason to cover the vents was due to the wind breaking the vent covers. We learned we could not open them if it would be windy. That said Fantastic did replace the part. Wish we would have added the covers when we brought it home.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, I did that. The Maxairs did restrict the flow considerably. Did not know Fantastik had their version when I bought the Max's. I changed them out and there is a difference. Noise level is about the same. Yes they do come in contact but they sure work well and are easy to take off for service.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

While at the factory, when it was in Michigan, both the sales rep and one of the owners told us we shouldn't put ANY covers over our Fantastic Vents as All of them restrict air flow.
Now maybe because the new owners have vent covers the story is different ...................... Just my opinon.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Yes, I did that. The Maxairs did restrict the flow considerably. Did not know Fantastik had their version when I bought the Max's. I changed them out and there is a difference. Noise level is about the same. Yes they do come in contact but they sure work well and are easy to take off for service.
Thanks to all of you and especially YC1! You've done exactly what we're thinking about doing. We're very happy with the fans and were so with our previous coach too. We probably won't change out the bathroom Maxair II since we don't use that fan very much. We too didn't know Fantastic had their own cover until recently. They were discouraged due to reduced air flow. But we're living in the coach and felt the extra cover was important. To retain using our wall switch we couldn't upgrade to the rain sensor type and keeping track of one more remote did not excite us.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
We bought the fantastic cover for over our fan above the living room. I was surprised to see the vent cover was stopped due to hitting the cover. It looked to me that it only opened about 3/4 of what it did without the cover. We have not noticed a difference exhausting the air. I guess I thought the vent opening would not be restricted. (my reason for Fantastic cover) We have now added a MaxxAir over the bathroom and other than getting on to the roof and seeing the different covers we have not noticed any difference. Our main reason to cover the vents was due to the wind breaking the vent covers. We learned we could not open them if it would be windy. That said Fantastic did replace the part. Wish we would have added the covers when we brought it home.
Thank you Stearn. So your fans are Fantastics? And you've not noticed a difference in airflow between the Maxair II and UltraBreeze covers?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosannemarie View Post
Thanks to all of you and especially YC1! You've done exactly what we're thinking about doing. We're very happy with the fans and were so with our previous coach too. We probably won't change out the bathroom Maxair II since we don't use that fan very much. We too didn't know Fantastic had their own cover until recently. They were discouraged due to reduced air flow. But we're living in the coach and felt the extra cover was important. To retain using our wall switch we couldn't upgrade to the rain sensor type and keeping track of one more remote did not excite us.
An update...We decided to switch out the MAX AIR II cover over the kitchen Fantastic Fan/Vent and are pleased with the decision. We have noticed considerably more air flow as the initial cover opens quite a bit further than it could with the Max Air II. It truly draws air through the windows into the coach when in the 'out' position. We believe there's even a bit less fan noise, probably due to less distance from cover to outside air, 3" less or so. In a sideways rain...perhaps not so wonderful. We'll keep the MAX AIR II in the bathroom fan simply because we rarely use that fan preferring to use an open a window.

Tags
vent