Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

Compartment Lighting

The cheesy little factory lights used to light up our basement compartments works OK, as long as you have a flash light handy. It sure would be nice if they came on when you opened the door as well. And forget about seeing in a battery compartment, even worse is trying to see in a fuse box.

The it all most works light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	79781

Here is how I set about to change things:

The main supplies needed; rolls of LED lights and door popper switches.

I used these door switches: Universal Car Door Pin Switch x 12 Bonnet Alarm Light Hood | eBay

The LED rolls I got from many different places (ebay, amazon etc).

For example: 5M Waterproof 3528 5050 5630 LED Flexible Strip Light Tape Roll Warm Cool White | eBay

Shop around, there are literally 100s of types.

I started by cleaning the basement ceiling off with alcohol, then stringing the lights in place.

Some could run above rails:

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	79782

Others had to go around:

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	79783

I did this down each side of the basement. In the last compartment on the passenger side, I ran it the across as well.

In the wet bay and battery compartments I used water proof strips.

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	79784

To hold the door poppers in place I used simple 2" L brackets. For the main compartments I was able to fasten them straight into the metal frame work, completing the ground.

Name:	DSCF1023.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	79785

In the wet bay I took the factory ground wire and attached it to the popper.

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	79786

REMEMBER: The white wire is negative and the black is positive for all the lights.

I hooked all positives from the lights to the positives on the factory harness. All negatives from the lights went to switches only.

So off the LED roll the red wire is hooked to the coaches black wire and the LED roll black wire goes to the spade terminal on the door popper.

Everything is still on the master switch located by the passenger seat. When the master switch is off, no lights will turn on. When the switch is on the lights are off untill a compartment door is opened.

On the drivers side, in the main compartment, any door opened will light that whole side. On the passenger side, the whole passenger side and mid-coach are lit.

Each battery compartment is by itself. Same with the wet bay and cord storage bay. I even did the compartment under the drivers window.

Name:	DSCF1024.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	79787

Name:	DSCF1028.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	79788

Each battery compartment is hooked straight to the batteries in that compartment. I added a inline 5 amp fuse for these lights. These are not on the master switch. I want to be able to see a fuse if I need to change one.

Name:	DSCF1026.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	79789

Name:	DSCF1027.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	79790
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #2

Pantry and Enterance

Our coach as a larger pantry, which when full can be rather dark at the back. With the LED strips working so well in the basement I thought I'd do the same in there.

Was a bit more work then I thought. Plus I forgot my camera that day, so you only get after pics.

I ran one strip down each side, just behind the lip. I didn't want the light to blind you when the door opened, but to have to whole cabinet fill with light.

I pulled positive power from the light switch on the bedroom wall (for the dresser area). However there was no grounds any where close. For that I had to remove the refrigerator and tie into the table light wiring.

Results:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1031.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	79792

For the door switch I knew the ones used in the basement didn't have the right look. So I went to the local auto parts store and dug through their catalog to find one I liked.

I have no idea what it fit before, but it fits my pantry now.

The bracket was something I bent up and painted just for this job.

Name:	DSCF1030.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	79793

Then came time for the entrance steps. The porch light just doesn't always provide good light on the steps.

I have corrected this issue.

I had a small strip of multicolored water proof LED strip left over from a project at the stick-n-brick. DW said she thought the blue would look good at the steps.

I cleaned the bottom of the bottom step with acetone and drilled a small hole through the brace. Then I glued both ends dome with silicon glue.

Name:	DSCF1060.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	79794

I had to run the steps in and out several times to make sure the wiring wouldn't bind.

Name:	DSCF1062.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	79795

The factory wiring for the light at the base of the inside steps is right at the mount for the outside steps, easy tie in. Just replaced the factory splice with my own, adding the new light wiring.

Name:	DSCF1063.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	79796

It looked so neat I had to run a strip of color changing down the side of the coach.

Like this only minus the power supply:Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT(TM) 16.4 Ft 5050 Waterproof 300leds,RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip+44key Controller+IR Remote box and 12 Volt 5 Amp Power Supply: Home Improvement

They're all 12 volt DC anyway.

I cleaned the underside with acetone and stuck the whole roll down the side. Gluing both ends with silicon glue.

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	79797

To get the wires through the floor I drilled a small hole in the forward most compartment. So the wires would run straight up to the controller. I got power from the 12 volt basement freezer circuit.

Name:	DSCF1064.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	79798

Because these run off a remote it has an IR receiver that I glued in the door frame.

Name:	DSCF1065.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	79799

Just point the remote at the door gap and voila.

Name:	DSCF1068.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	79800

Name:	DSCF1070.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	79801

I can make them change colors, flash and dim them.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Good ideas, Thanks John.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All John's mod's in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nicely done. This project is now on my list of improvements for the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
John,
Great idea on the door switches. I installed the LED's in the basement awhile ago and had them tied into the main switch. All the lights are on when I turn the Master Switch on.

I like your idea of the separate door switches. I take it you wired all the door switches in parrallel? Open any door and the LED's turn on. I gave that some thought too but decided the wire harness would be large. Your idea of separate switches may lead me to rewire and have each switch turn on the LED's for that bay only. Just a thought.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #7

Thanks all.

The strip have connection points every 3", for some of the switches it was easier to run the ground from the switch straight to the light strip.

Otherwise, yes, each side of the main storage is run in parallel.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nice job.....My Monaco had the automatic light in the water bay and really liked that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice work John. I guess you are the LED expert now. I should have talked to you about converting my fluorescents to LED.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
When you want to come to Oklahoma and visit. We can do mine while your here. Looks nice like everything else you do. Great work.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb

I added several more conventional 12v lights in basement areas where needed, equipped with LED bulbs, but intend to convert to LED strips this winter. One caveat...those strips under the coach may not last too long. I installed several strips under my tiki hut in FL (no water could hit them) and they didn't make it through the summer rains/humidity. And yes...they were "water resistant" strips.

I had LED rope lights under the last coach and they worked well. That's probably a better way to go, in my opinion.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #12

Thanks all, time will tell how long they last.

The first snow trip should test them nicely.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #13

Looks good ! I also did a strip underneath ( hooked to a timer and dimmer, incase I forget to turn them off when I go inside) and then one on the underside of the entertainment door to give a bit of light for grilling. In the entertainment center I also put a couple LED spotlights to aim at the grill ( I guess you can tell I grill a lot a night )
I like the idea of the step lights... it will be on my list. I am also going to put some on the awning tube , planning on making a brush/commutator setup so I don't have to plug them in.
Watch the strips you put on... as an initial test and to see it I liked them , I put some out by our pool.... it was only a day or so before they drooped down due to the poor adhesive tape on the back and the high humidity here. For subsequent installations at home and on the coach, I applied a strip of 3M VHB auto trim tape, they have held up real well for a year now.
It's unbelievable how cheap these LED strips are and fun to play with
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

John, looks good, what appointment times are available for you to do our coach at Hoots III.... ?
Bill & Sandy
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote