Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Compartment lights

None of my compartment lights are working.
I don't see a main switch like I had on my Ultimate Freedom so I'm leaning towards a fuse. None labeled "compt lt" on panel in front compartment on driver side. Maybe behind power cord reel? Anyone experienced this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is located in front of the passenger console which is to the right of the armrest.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"HHIDan".....I'm too new of a Newmar owner to know the similarities between the MA and my DS, but mine has a switch where "bonzocfi" mentioned. I discovered the fuse panel the other day in the power cord reel bay and I know that the quick look I took, there were entry step fuses there. Maybe related fuses, like the lights are there.

I think I will pull that panel again and make a list of what's there in the power bay to cut down searching in the future.

My Monaco also had an automatic light in the water bay so you didn't have to remember to turn the bay lights switch on inside when you needed a quick look or work in the water bay. My project today is to add a door activated switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Went back to look at passenger console, I had been looking at the top of it from the inside of coach; looked at the front and nothing there.

And thanks Don also. I have door switches on all the doors. My entry step fuse is in that front compartment on driver side... However, no "comp lt" fuse. I suppose I will go look behind the reel.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Will this link help you any?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Sure enough 007. That document refers to compartment lights as "wrap lights", and states the wrap lights fuse is in the "House Fuse Panel" and sure enough that's where I found a blown fuse!!
007, Did you ever work at Newmar?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No but I have visited and been in Newmars since 98 and just have some good memory to keep me going.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After reading this post last night, I decided to go out today, locate all of the fuse panels, and see what they operate. I recorded all of the fuses and circuit breakers in the power reel bay, the front driver's bay and the panel in the 1/2 bath. One of them was labeled "WRAP" and had no clue what that stood for. Now I can rename it.

Lastly, the Freightliner Manual shows a large fuse panel with things like the turn signal fuses and such. I can't find that panel! Anyone know where this panel is on a Dutch Star.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
After reading this post last night, I decided to go out today, locate all of the fuse panels, and see what they operate. I recorded all of the fuses and circuit breakers in the power reel bay, the front driver's bay and the panel in the 1/2 bath. One of them was labeled "WRAP" and had no clue what that stood for. Now I can rename it.

Lastly, the Freightliner Manual shows a large fuse panel with things like the turn signal fuses and such. I can't find that panel! Anyone know where this panel is on a Dutch Star.
The fuse documentation provided by 007 looks to be very accurate. Seems Newmar is consistent throughout their product lineup and throughout the years . Wonder if it makes a dif. yours Freight mine Spartan. Not to mention yours is '14.

My turn signals fuse is labelled Flasher and is in the gray bus box, mid column, 2nd from top. They are all nicely labelled. The green bus board contains fuses for both ignition and battery and the list is taped to the inside of the compt. on the right.

My two fuse panels in the front compartment looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2812.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	58281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2815.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	58282  

Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

There 3 fuse boxes back in the chassis battery compartment as well.

Power cord compartment

Name:	DSCF0621.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	58299

Compartment under the driver seat

Name:	IMG_6243.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	58300

Chassis battery compartment

Name:	IMG_6249.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	58301

House battery compartment, a large fuse under each cover.

Name:	IMG_6363.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	58302

Not pictured is the mid-bath fuse and breaker panel.

There are breakers on the genny and inverter as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks John, even though our coaches are only a year different, things are different in mine than yours. I think because you're all electric, my coach batteries are in a different location and configuration. No fuses in the battery bay except a large BUSS fuse.

My power cord bay is the same and I diagrammed and labeled those. The front run bay is the same and I photographed and enlarged the picture of the main board and the inside covers of the two fuse boxes on the sidewall.

My chassis battery bay is different. I have one large box in their, but the diagram on the exterior didn't look like it had fuses, but now that you showed me yours, maybe that's the last panel I'm looking for.

I knew my Monaco inside and out, but that took years of ownership to find everything.

I decided I want a quick guide (paper folder with photos of fuse panels) where I can look at all my fuses at once and then go to where the blown one may be.

I did find one fuse inside the KIB multiplex control box in the half bath. You have to open the box up (three screws) to access. There are also a couple under the dash behind the radio.

Once I find this last box and photo and diagram (if the photo isn't clear), I would be willing to share the enlarged photos and diagrams. The diagrams I'm doing in Word Perfect and are something I don't know how to add to a post. If it can be done and someone can tell me how, I'll add them and if not, I can email them.

These photos aren't great, but are what I'm using for my quick guide. The first two are the covered boxes on the side wall of the front run bay:

This one is against the back wall of the front run bay. it's a little harder to read and is one that I diagrammed in Word Perfect. I have the diagram and photo together in my quick guide:

This is the fuse panel in the 1/2 bath. It has several important fuses that you might typically look for like that "WRAP" fuse which is for the cargo lights.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Mine are labeled "wrap"lights as well-the fuse panel is in the half bath next to the primary electrics. For some reason Newmar "cheaped out" in installing basement lighting, using one light in some instances to light up TWO bays! So I bought 8 more from the Newmar online store for under 6bucks....delivered! (In only two days!) they also sell the pin switch which operates with door opening. I also got a double light to replace that inadequate closet fixture and picked up some LED's to install in them. Sure makes a difference.

One thing I liked about their approach was to run hots to each fixture and use grounds activated by those switches to complete the circuit. This allowed me to light up several lights by opening any sequence of bay doors, thereby illuminating the entire basement space.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am going to add this thread in QT's # 3 with the fuse and wiring link there now, lots of good pictures John and Don, thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was use to my Monaco utility bay lighting up when I opened the door without having to turn on the basement lights. The Dutch Star has the lights, but you have to remember to turn them on. I added a second light to the utility bay yesterday, using a pin switch that comes on when you open the door. It's powered separately from the other lights.

"slabman" great minds think alike.

Tags
lights