Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Compressor-Tires?

All - Searched on here, but could not find answer. Owners Manual did not have it. Checked some Freightliner PDF's and did not fine it there.

Does the engine driven compressor/Tanks System have enough volume to pump up the MH tires to lets say 120PSI. Now before you have a fit. Current Michelin Tires say max pressure is 120, and that is what I run them at, then no worries, yeah a little rough, but again, don't got to think about it. The compressor on the Alpine, does not have enough volume, nor pressure to pump up the tires, as it's not an air brake coach, it only has to worry about air bags, and parking brake.

Ventana, has AB's, two tanks if I am reading correctly, so in your experience does it have the volume to pump the tires up to their max pressure (unknown until I read sidewall). Yeah, 4 corner weight, set the pressure for that, blah, blah, blah. At this point, don't care just don't want to be overweight on either axle. Once we get it home, take stuff out, put stuff in, move this to there, etc. Then might worry about 4 corner weight. But we have bikes, toad, and have 50' air hose, and could hook up to one of the Air Chucks to do the jeep or the bikes. Now this also assumes, the tanks don't go empty, or air leaks.

The other option is to carry one of these, which will do the tires on the coach, toad, and just about anything else I want to put air in, plus can use it in toad, if I choose to go 4 X 4'ing to pump tires back up. This has excellent reviews and lots of jeep owners carry one. Your opinions please.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141KJTKQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Your correct, the unit from Amazon is a prefered pump by many jeep and rv owners.
And as you have stated.
You have read all the reviews.

As far as four corner weights for tire pressure. Your blah, blah, blah
Tells me you need no advice on that
issue.[emoji6][emoji3]
You have it all figured out already the way I read your post.[emoji847]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If you have a lot of patience, you can probably fill the coach tires to 120 psi. Bring your lunch!

As for running maximum tire pressure when you don't need to, it will eventually cause tire wear issues.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The engine driven air will not fill the tires, unless you add other equipment and keep waiting for the coach air to build back up. It would be a VERY annoying way to air the tires, especially at a campground.

I really like the Viair and will eventually buy one, once I decide if I want to permanently install or buy a portable. Since I only inflate my tires about twice a year, the $350.00 - $400.00 price tag is hard to justify. Many years ago I bought a Porter Cable unit that many use and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...s%2C416&sr=8-3

Personally, I would NEVER run my tires at max air pressure. It's hard on the coach, hard on the passengers and makes for a horrible ride. You don't have to weigh the coach to know an approximate weight for the tires. There are so many that have already weighed theirs, you can get a pretty good idea what the pressure should be. Set it at a generic pressure until you get it weighed. My rears are set at 90 psi.....I couldn't imagine how rough riding it would be at 120 psi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Viair RV as well as a Porter Cable compact. I fund the PC faster and preferable. Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1560302512772.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	249533
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
All-Thank you. Since I don't know what the axle weights will be until we load out, figuring out TP, is going to be hit or miss. And max press in Alpine was we were very close to GVWR for both axles, usually within 700lbs on each. The V3407 has heavier axle ratings, but smaller length, so just won't have all that stuff, so can run lower pressures. Once I have some weights, I will get opinions on what the AP should be, but sure manufacturer of tires has a spec sheet or something. I have a PC compressor as well, different from link, it won't pump up the MH tires, but will do other things, and usually carry it so I can air up toad and bikes, blow stuff off. My other one is not big enough either, but runs nail guns great.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have the Viair RV as well as a Porter Cable compact. I fund the PC faster and preferable. Attachment 249533
Not to mention, less expensive! I have one as well and it works quite well.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Well I'll be the odd man out and tell you that I have never used anything but the compressor that comes on the Cummins to inflate our tires. Why would you pass up clean air with the humidity removed for air from a portable unit? You may have to bump up idle via the cruise control and bleed the line on occasion to trigger the compressor but I wouldn't take up the space and cost of a separate portable unit. Actually if you want you can get a different head gasket for the Cummins pump to raise the pressure to 135 pounds. YMMV.

Tom
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Well I'll be the odd man out and tell you that I have never used anything but the compressor that comes on the Cummins to inflate our tires. Why would you pass up clean air with the humidity removed for air from a portable unit? You may have to bump up idle via the cruise control and bleed the line on occasion to trigger the compressor but I wouldn't take up the space and cost of a separate portable unit. Actually if you want you can get a different head gasket for the Cummins pump to raise the pressure to 135 pounds. YMMV.

Tom
There are a couple of videos at this link that may help:

How To Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - TheRVgeeks
yblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I also have that Porter Cable compressor (except mine is branded as a Craftsman) and have been happy with it. I did end up replacing the chuck with one that had a handle on it making it much easier to use. Been using it for 8 years so far
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added a locking chuck to the Porter Gable/Craftsman compressor. I once timed it, it took about 15 seconds per pound to fill a 22.5 tire. Since you're not filling them from empty, you can top most tires off in about 2-3 minutes and move to the next.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Community Administrator

That’s the one I have and also replaced the chuck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	249572

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Craftsman brand compressor, pictured above, was more readily available a few years ago before Sears started to go under. They were always made by Porter Cable and sold under the Craftsman label. For those looking, it may be hard to still find the Craftsman model, but the Porter Cable is the same unit. I do like the red better!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
This 150 psi Porter Cable pancake compressor and a Milton dualhead tire inflator with the gage will take care of your tires. The compressed air is also available for your air tools and air brush to repair scratches and clear coat. I use the Magnum MS2812 inverter for the compressor 120 volt power.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PorterCable 150 psi.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	249606
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, tires