Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The redesign of the roof, with the facades and rear spoiler pretty much eliminate the ability to add a ladder. The height would exceed safe driving heights. I would rather have the high end look of the facades, hiding the everything on the roof, versus a ladder.

I have two ladders. I have a one piece fiberglass ladder, at home, with "Guardian Angel" arms mounted at the top, which makes it very easy to access the roof. As a matter of fact, an angled ladder is much easier to use than a straight up and down ladder.

For on the road, I have a collapsing ladder. In an emergency, I can use that ladder to access the roof. I understand your desire to inspect the roof, but how often do you need to do that on the road? Leaves blow off and snow will melt. You're certainly not going to go up there and shovel snow, one for safety reasons and two, there are a lot of items on the roof that could be damaged by a shovel. My roof only has a few square feet where there is not something mounted.

I highly doubt that Newmar eliminated the ladder because they didn't want people on the roof. I'm sure it's more about the ne roof design. With that said, I would guess that the majority of people buying these coaches are older and most don't want to go on the roof.

A friend went crazy when he saw my new coach didn't have a ladder and acted like it was the end of the world. Then he bought a new Allegro Bus without ladder. After six months, it's no longer an issue for him.

Do you just leave the pine needles, cones, acorns and leaves on the slide toppers and run your slides in?

I get up there before pulling the slides in, every time. I'm really glad our rig has a ladder and can't imagine not having one. -Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winegard Sat dish just went bad. Found out Winegard has a poor design. Before choosing Winegard, consider:
1. the dish on the roof contains all the electronic components.
2. Does Winegard make the repair a plug and play? No, No and No.
3. The main cable cannot be disconnected from the dish.
4. One must remove the dish, then feed the new cable through the same conduit.
5. Are any components in the dish serviceable. NO, NO and NO.

I bring this up because sooner or later you will need a sturdy ladder to get on the roof. It is a matter of when not if.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I too was concerned about not having a ladder on the 2020 Dutch Star I ordered, but the more I thought about it the less I was concerned. Yes there may be times someone has to get on the roof for maintenance or some other reason, I emphasis someone. As age takes over I wonder if climbing up that straight ladder to scramble over the top cap is a good idea or not. I will buy a excellent 15 1/2 foot collapsible later to carry for those emergencies that may crop up, and probably have someone else do any heavy maintenance on the roof when needed.

Gary KD your statement about Winegard Sat equipment is spot on, IMO I would steer anyone putting Sat antennas on there roof to RF Mogul equip, superior in so many ways. I have had a MotoSat (now RF Mogul) antenna on my roof since 2007, have had 0 problems and going strong, nothing seems to bother it.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Do you just leave the pine needles, cones, acorns and leaves on the slide toppers and run your slides in?

I get up there before pulling the slides in, every time. I'm really glad our rig has a ladder and can't imagine not having one. -Paul
Nope....I have the Girard slide toppers which are super tight. Everything sweeps off the toppers as they come in. I just can't see getting on the roof every trip and cleaning the slide toppers. Law of averages will soon lead to a medical emergency.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Nope....I have the Girard slide toppers which are super tight. Everything sweeps off the toppers as they come in. I just can't see getting on the roof every trip and cleaning the slide toppers. Law of averages will soon lead to a medical emergency.
That's our opinion as well. Getting on the roof is dangerous. Most of the ladders we have or carry aren't as safe as they could be. The attached ladder is narrow and vertical. Most folding ladders are barely tall enough, if tall enough at all, to access the roof safely. Plus, there's all manner of tripping hazards on an RV roof. The risk isn't huge but there is risk.

As I said earlier, all the cleaning and maintenance some folks perform on their roofs is probably overkill. An annual inspection and cleaning is probably all you need. We're of the opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Winegard Sat dish just went bad. Found out Winegard has a poor design. Before choosing Winegard, consider:
1. the dish on the roof contains all the electronic components.
2. Does Winegard make the repair a plug and play? No, No and No.
3. The main cable cannot be disconnected from the dish.
4. One must remove the dish, then feed the new cable through the same conduit.
5. Are any components in the dish serviceable. NO, NO and NO.

I bring this up because sooner or later you will need a sturdy ladder to get on the roof. It is a matter of when not if.
Motor went bad on my Winegard satellite and they sent me a new base. Took an hour to replace it.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have something similar to this telescoping for my stick built. Mine has the wide base but not the hooks it shows on this one. I think the issue with anything you get is not damaging the paint etc but this is an idea. Just some kind of cushioning or stand off for the top.
Found on Amazon of course: Handvoll Telescoping Ladder 17.5ft Aluminum Extension
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #22

Quote:
The redesign of the roof, with the facades and rear spoiler pretty much eliminate the ability to add a ladder. The height would exceed safe driving heights. I would rather have the high end look of the facades, hiding the everything on the roof, versus a ladder.
I too like the looks of the facades but also think it wouldn't be a big deal to have a ladder on the rear. Have the ladder go about as high as the facade and then have it set up like an extension ladder and slide the extension up another few feet so you can get on the roof. It could also have a curved section on the ends that rotated and fit into 2 receivers on the roof. That way you have an attachment up top, similar to the old school ladders like I have on the DS.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #23

I was a lot more uncomfortable climbing that rear ladder with those tiny screws holding that ladder with me

Zzotte
Old 11-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
The rear ladder option on the 2020 Bay Star was $336 so I didn’t think twice, I ordered it. I figured it was one less thing taking up space, but after reading this thread I’ve decided caring a small step ladder makes sense.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
The rear ladder option on the 2020 Bay Star was $336 so I didn’t think twice, I ordered it. I figured it was one less thing taking up space, but after reading this thread I’ve decided caring a small step ladder makes sense.
Look at GP logistics for a step ladder. It collapses into a square tube and you can get them up to 7' foot. Just make sure to lock it open with the tabs. I have one and like it. Takes up little room in the bay.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First coach without a ladder. Thought it was going to be a nightmare. It has become a non issue. I much prefer the look without a ladder and was never really comfortable with the light weight ladder on the coaches. I carry this ladder, it’s both a step ladder and an extension ladder and fits very nicely on the generator slide out tray.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202679667419
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof