RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Concerns about 40' 2016 roof with no ladder

We have just purchased a 2016 40' dutch star. The roof has no means of getting up for inspection. I am told that Newmar does not want owners venturing up on the roof. What about a leaves, snow and at the like? Our old Newmar had an access ladder and I routinely inspected the roof. I am a little uncomfortable about having no access to the roof. Does anyone have any comments?
Thank you
Dave

Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would call Newmar and ask them. Have your vin number handy.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The redesign of the roof, with the facades and rear spoiler pretty much eliminate the ability to add a ladder. The height would exceed safe driving heights. I would rather have the high end look of the facades, hiding the everything on the roof, versus a ladder.

I have two ladders. I have a one piece fiberglass ladder, at home, with "Guardian Angel" arms mounted at the top, which makes it very easy to access the roof. As a matter of fact, an angled ladder is much easier to use than a straight up and down ladder.

For on the road, I have a collapsing ladder. In an emergency, I can use that ladder to access the roof. I understand your desire to inspect the roof, but how often do you need to do that on the road? Leaves blow off and snow will melt. You're certainly not going to go up there and shovel snow, one for safety reasons and two, there are a lot of items on the roof that could be damaged by a shovel. My roof only has a few square feet where there is not something mounted.

I highly doubt that Newmar eliminated the ladder because they didn't want people on the roof. I'm sure it's more about the ne roof design. With that said, I would guess that the majority of people buying these coaches are older and most don't want to go on the roof.

A friend went crazy when he saw my new coach didn't have a ladder and acted like it was the end of the world. Then he bought a new Allegro Bus without ladder. After six months, it's no longer an issue for him.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

We deleted the ladder on our Bay Star. Kinda wish we hadn't. Instead we have a Gorilla ladder but it's heavy and takes up valuable room in our rear storage bay. Considering replacing with a telescoping ladder and a small step ladder for cleaning the windshield the windows.

But we rarely access the roof. Honestly, in two years, the wife has been up there once to clean the solar panels. We have a dealer inspect the roof and maintain the sealant. I know people that spend half their time on the roof, inspecting, cleaning, etc. but I'm not sure that's necessary. it's kind of dangerous too.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My previous coach had a ladder that I used all the time for routine maintenance and roof cleaning. At first I was unhappy that the DS did not have one but after purchasing a telescopic ladder it has become no big deal. For as seldom as you use one there is little reason to have one permanently attached.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We use a Gorilla A-Frame type ladder, and yes it takes up space. It is 14 feet long, going enough over the edge of the roof for safer transition on and off the ladder. I split portions of a pool noodle to pad the ladder where it touches the coach. It not only lets me on the roof to check whatever, in A-frame mode itís handy for washing windows and windshield.
TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

If your coach can be in the snow, realize that one foot of wet snow on a 40' coach will weigh 8000lb. Whatever solution you end up with, you need a way to get on the roof to remove the snow.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

Ditto on Dutch Star Donís comment. Had an 06 with a ladder, thought Iíd miss it our our 17, didnít really. Up on the roof 2-3 times a year to clean the roof only T home. Have not needed our collapsing ladder on the road once but we have it just in case.
Breezy2006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
jrs

We full time with a Little Giant ladder. Yes.... it's heavy and takes up space but it's a solid ladder. I've used it quite a bit since September pick up and I'm glad we have it.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a tidbit.....If you're new to using a collapsing ladder for the roof. Try to place it on the passenger side, next to an extended slide. By placing it against the slide, you can prevent it from kicking out to at least one side. Once at the roof line, use a strap to strap the ladder to the faÁade on models that have it.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #11

When I had a house I never went up on the roof. Now that I am full time I still never go on the roof. I am handicapped and couldnít even climb the ladder much less walk on the roof. If something needs to done I hire someone. I do carry a little giant ladder in case the handyman forgot his.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think at some point, we all stop going on the roof, be it 55 years old or 85 year old. I just had my knee replaced 8 weeks ago. I'm just now getting comfortable with going back on the roof. It's in need of a good washing.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #13

No ladder.

I'm disabled and pay for having our roof inspected and serviced. I have a little giant we bought the first year it was made and it goes with us. We pay for our RV to be washed and waxed and the roof cleaned as well. I am considering getting a telescoping ladder because it takes less room but don't ever want one attached.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #14

A new coach with difficult access to the roof is one thing. My coach is 14 plus years old. I am always on the roof. I want safe access to the roof and this new high end look is not functional.

When these high end looking coaches reach 10 years old, they will require more maintenance and more time by somebody on the roof.

Functionally, I really like having the ladder reach up about 8 feet where I can grab and hold on to a solid structure.

My 2006 Essex will be my last coach.

Tags
roof