Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Condensation on windows

I am camping in the panhandle of Florida. It got down to 28 degrees last night and will be 25 tonight. When I woke up this morning, I had a lot of condensation on front window and side drivers window. I cracked a window last night and pulled up the front shade but still did not seem to help. Any suggestions to help this situation?? Thanks for your input.
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Single pane windows WILL have condensation when the temp difference is great...

Just about everything you do inside generates moisture in the air... your breathing, cooking, the propane furnace, etc.. etc...

Ventilation is the key, they say leave a window open, but I never liked that idea, so I run the electric heat pump which seems to dry it out some...

when I DO run the furnace and lose the front blind, our windshield will be wet

getting a dehumidifier might help too -some friends set their's up in the sink so it drains into there
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

FWIW do some reading about dew point and dew. Glass in general and single pane in particular is a poor insulator so it will be close to the outside temperature. As long as that is lower than the dew point in your environment water will condense out of the air.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Just about everything you do inside generates moisture in the air... the propane furnace, etc.. etc...
when I DO run the furnace and lose the front blind, our windshield will be wet
Just to set the records straight, a properly installed and operated RV LPG furnaces does not add moisture to the inside of your coach. The furnace has a sealed combustion chamber which draws fresh air from outside and sends the exhaust back to the outside as well. On the house side of the heat exchanger/combustion chamber, the system draws air from within the coach, passes it over the heat exchanger and returns it to the coach.

If your furnace is adding moisture to your inside air, you have a cracked heat exchanger and your are adding carbon-monoxide to the air which can kill you.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

How does a propane furnace generate moisture in the coach when it vents the combustion gases outside?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #6

A propane furnace does not do it. A propane stove will generate some from the flame. A human exhales 1-2 quarts of water per day under normal conditions. Then there are showers, towels, tea kettles, etc.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

Dehumidifier is the best solution.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Also, try and refrain for accelerated heart rate and heavy breathing
Along with a humidity gauge inside to monitor the inside humidity, and try to use methods to keep it lower, especially in colder temps.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We were in temps in the low 20s a few nights last week. Nothing I tried had any effect on windshield condensation. Double pane windows, window cracked open, etc. I conclude it's the cost of doing business in cold weather. It didn't seem to matter if it was the heat pumps or propane furnace providing the heat.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Just wet? Try 24" of frost on the inside of the windshield. 14* will do that for you. Like others have stated, glass is a great conductor of heat or lack of heat.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #11

When taking a shower, run the exhaust fan... then wipe the water off the shower walls, etc. This stopped the condensation in my motorhome.
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window