Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
I thought I'd jump in and join the confusion :-) We are considering going from our Truck/TT to a MH and are currently looking close at Diesel vs Gas but saying that size matters in this case... right now our RV barn is 30x35' which give me an inside space of 35' total and that is cutting it pretty close for the smaller DP's we have seen... so, we are also looking at the Gas alternatives in the 30-32' range. We like to camp in the National Parks, State Parks and Army Corps of Engineers site and we find a lot of them have length restrictions of up to about 32-34' so that is what we have been considering and there isn't a diesel (other than the breeze 28) that match that criteria. What do you folks find in the parks and maximum site length...

We have looked somewhat at all the big brands on the gas F53 and we are leaning to a coach that has 22.5" wheels and the 26,000 lb chassis and we are pleased to see the new 2015 BayStar models have that chassis so I will be glad when we find one to drive...most of the dealers still have the 2014 model with the 19.5 tires. The increase in chassis and tires gives you about 2,000 lb of carry capacity which is HUGE in my mind, the 3214 I think has a ccc of about 3800 lbs.

My sister in law has a Fleetwood Fiesta XL (or LX) that is a 34N it has the larger chassis and larger wheels and it is stout, when you walk up in it and around in it the unit does not move! She said handling is great but like any big box there is caution on the wind and honesty I don't think that is only on the Gas units... these things are 13' high off the road and 32+ feet long.... Wind is wind and depending how much will really make a difference in the handling I think. So, I really want to find a coach with the larger chassis and wheels if we can afford it.

I started looking at the Canyon Star Mike for that very reason, but, their models are a bit longer than the Bay Star so we backed off.... (we would really like to not have to modify our barn if at all possible. By the way Mike, we left Orange County in 2004 to move to Nashvile we lived down in Coto De Caza from 91 to 04 and before that Mission Viejo, El Toro and before that Costa Mesa.. we decided to retire and love Tennessee! There are so many great places to camp with in about 200/300 miles of us so we thought that changing to a MH would make the quick trips easier..

Lynn in MI.. if a dealer won't let you drive a unit, you are at the wrong dealer that is crazy... I"ve never run in to a dealer that won't let you take a test drive... No if you want to drive it for a 100 mile test drive they may question it... but for a 10/20 mile highway/back road drive that should not even be a hesitation...

If your not set on the 22.5" wheels then there are some great deals out there on the 2014 chassis from Newmar.. I've not read many comments on the Newmar Bay or Bay Stars on the 19.5 wheels but in the 29' range I imagine they are OK that chassis has been used by about every MH manufacturer out there..

On the Newmar, one thing I find interesting is the wheel base.. the common wheel base I have seen is the short 178" 192" 208" and 228" (most 34 and up on the 228") I am not sure what that means or does for ride or handling but the 3214 for example on the Newmar is 200" which is a custom size for sure and I've written to Newmar to question it but I have received no response.

Another thing I notice in a lot of the newer gas coaches is that folks say once you buy one, drive it off the dealers lot you need to take it to a suspension place, get a rear track bar and a safty steer type of device.. I guess my question to that is if it has to be done by most folks for handling why hasn't the manufactures addressed that in production .. cost? I'd think if you make the best darn handling coach out there people will come! But, read review after review on the F53 and see how many folks are having the problem with Wondering or is that Wandering?

Looking forward to your input... Thanks in advance..
Dave
Really appreciate all the comments. In all fairness, I need to clarify my comment in prior entry about not being able to test drive a unit. This was at the Newmar Factory. I could look at a unit there, but could not drive it, since all they have there are actual orders for customers. I understand that, no one would want someone else to test drive their unit at the factor! The problem is, the dealer I was referred to has none to test drive either. I did find a dealer about 3 hours away that has a few to drive, so if I'm really motivated, I could take that drive.

Lynn in MI
15650street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In regard to the 2015 coach's I would drive it and after loading with all your stuff fuel, water, LP gas get it weight and proper tire pressures than drive it a few times before adding any add suspension equipment, you may find it drives OK.
The 22.5 tires, added weight carrying capacity will make you happy the Workhorse W-22 -UP had them and plenty of storage room in the higher compartments.
Some of the storage will be above the chassis rails.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15650street View Post
Really appreciate all the comments. In all fairness, I need to clarify my comment in prior entry about not being able to test drive a unit. This was at the Newmar Factory. I could look at a unit there, but could not drive it, since all they have there are actual orders for customers. I understand that, no one would want someone else to test drive their unit at the factor! The problem is, the dealer I was referred to has none to test drive either. I did find a dealer about 3 hours away that has a few to drive, so if I'm really motivated, I could take that drive.

Lynn in MI
We went from a 26' Winnebego to a 29' 2903 Baystar. It handles the road way better than the shorter one. I don't know if it is because it is newer but what a difference! We love the size and never plan to go any larger. We have the full wall slide that really opens it up. Hope you find the one you are looking for.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar