Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Continuation of a discussion about using a Comfort Drive with a gas engine

In the Comfort Drive Guide sticky, a question was raised about using it with a gas engine. I felt the discussion was worth having its own thread so this is it.

A review of the comments for those who don't want to go look for them:

dmatt13:
Gonna jump in here to ask a question....is the comfort drive included on the Bay Star coaches or just the higher end ones? We are looking at the Bay Star 3014. Thx

lass:
Standard on diesels only. It is not available on the gas models.

dmatt13:
Ok, thanks. Funny, it's the smaller gas models that have the handling issues so you'd think that's where they would use it.

me:
The CD requires the J1939 data bus to read what's going on in the coach so it can respond correctly. I'm not sure but I think that's only available on the diesels.

I'm also speculating that the smaller gassers are so price competitive that the CD isn't really affordable.

Dav L:
Ken, what J1939 data is CD using?
I suspect the equivalent is available on the Gas bus. Certainly would require some firmware changes.

I have a suspicion the real reason CD is diesel only is to keep the diesel as the premium offering.

And now for the new comments:

me:
It needs ground speed, yaw rate, lateral acceleration, vehicle position in the lane, external steering command (for some new optional features), driver controlled efforts, and the entire software diagnostics system (both in the CD and in all the test equipment).

You're right. The problem is in the software. To make this happen, the following things would have to happen:

1. Somebody has to learn the new communications standard, including all the variations that various potential customers might either require or prohibit.

2. Somebody has to make all the required changes in the CD, the lab test machines, the production assembly/test machines, the Engineering diagnostics tools, and the field diagnostics tool.

3. At least one test vehicle must be procured, either rented or purchased, and the CD retrofitted into it. (See the guided tour Q&A about retrofitting. Short version: you need a REALLY good reason to do it.)

4. Somebody has to pay for every bit of this work. I would be vastly surprised if the total cost (not price to the customer), not counting the test vehicle, would be less than $750,000.

5. Lastly, somebody would have to convince the ZF management that they should stop their people from working on their current and planned projects to work on this.

Making all this happen is going to require an earth-stopping event. Highly unlikely.

Of course, somebody could form their own company to do all this and make a fortune. I've made this same suggestion concerning retrofitting CD to non-CD coaches and nobody has taken me up on it ……. and that is only simple hardware!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
The biggest issue with the gasser(s) is that (with very few exceptions) they are on steel spring ride.. The vaulted CD is for full air ride chassis me thinks.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

I've put it on several trucks with steel front springs. All the benefits are still there
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Continuation of a discussion about using a Comfort Drive with a gas engine

Ford has the necessary technology in their adaptive steering system. That system is installed in the steering wheel and would probably be the technology used if Ford made it available for the F53. They are already using it in the super duty (F250-450) trucks. I suspect they could use existing hardware components with new software.

The suspension is still using the same spring setup in have in my horse cart. That is a whole other issue.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Ford has the necessary technology in their adaptive steering system. That system is installed in the steering wheel and would probably be the technology used if Ford made it available for the F53. They are already using it in the super duty (F250-450) trucks. I suspect they could use existing hardware components with new software.

The suspension is still using the same spring setup in have in my horse cart. That is a whole other issue.
OH!!! I thought that it was connected to the chassis suspension .. sorry for interrupting the thought train..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #6

"It needs ground speed, yaw rate, lateral acceleration, vehicle position in the lane, external steering command (for some new optional features), driver controlled efforts, and the entire software diagnostics system (both in the CD and in all the test equipment)."

Ok, ground speed, check. Exists easily.

Yaw rate and lateral accel can be an aftermarket box. Cheap stuff.

Vehicle position in lane - that gets tough if it doesn't have that already. Gentex stuff.

Not sure what external steering command is. Or driver controlled efforts.

With regards to diagnostics - that could be in the aftermarket box and not necessarily on the OE data bus (which would be better).

What is the hardware required? Steering column above the power steering gear? Where is the driver input sensed? A pot on the column? Senses movement or also torque?

Just curious and for the love of the engineering.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

All this is discussed in the Guided Tour.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok, having not really understood what the CD entails I will say....WOW. It really would benefit the coaches on the shorter gas chassis, but the cost does seem prohibitive. May just have to bite the bullet and get a diesel
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
In the Comfort Drive Guide sticky, a question was raised about using it with a gas engine. I felt the discussion was worth having its own thread so this is it.

A review of the comments for those who don't want to go look for them:

dmatt13:
Gonna jump in here to ask a question....is the comfort drive included on the Bay Star coaches or just the higher end ones? We are looking at the Bay Star 3014. Thx

lass:
Standard on diesels only. It is not available on the gas models.

dmatt13:
Ok, thanks. Funny, it's the smaller gas models that have the handling issues so you'd think that's where they would use it.

me:
The CD requires the J1939 data bus to read what's going on in the coach so it can respond correctly. I'm not sure but I think that's only available on the diesels.

I'm also speculating that the smaller gassers are so price competitive that the CD isn't really affordable.

Dav L:
Ken, what J1939 data is CD using?
I suspect the equivalent is available on the Gas bus. Certainly would require some firmware changes.

I have a suspicion the real reason CD is diesel only is to keep the diesel as the premium offering.

And now for the new comments:

me:
It needs ground speed, yaw rate, lateral acceleration, vehicle position in the lane, external steering command (for some new optional features), driver controlled efforts, and the entire software diagnostics system (both in the CD and in all the test equipment).

You're right. The problem is in the software. To make this happen, the following things would have to happen:

1. Somebody has to learn the new communications standard, including all the variations that various potential customers might either require or prohibit.

2. Somebody has to make all the required changes in the CD, the lab test machines, the production assembly/test machines, the Engineering diagnostics tools, and the field diagnostics tool.

3. At least one test vehicle must be procured, either rented or purchased, and the CD retrofitted into it. (See the guided tour Q&A about retrofitting. Short version: you need a REALLY good reason to do it.)

4. Somebody has to pay for every bit of this work. I would be vastly surprised if the total cost (not price to the customer), not counting the test vehicle, would be less than $750,000.

5. Lastly, somebody would have to convince the ZF management that they should stop their people from working on their current and planned projects to work on this.

Making all this happen is going to require an earth-stopping event. Highly unlikely.

Of course, somebody could form their own company to do all this and make a fortune. I've made this same suggestion concerning retrofitting CD to non-CD coaches and nobody has taken me up on it ……. and that is only simple hardware!
BlueOx sells an add on system that works somewhat like CD. Cost around 1K.
http://www.blueox.com/chassis-perfor...ering-control/
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
BlueOx sells an add on system that works somewhat like CD. Cost around 1K.
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox
I like the concept. The drop down only goes to 2017. I assume it will be updated since 2018 chassis are being used now for the 2019 coaches. Gonna look into the reviews on this.
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas