Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Convert back to Dometic CCC2

Hello,

For those of you with older coaches and Penguin ACs, has anyone converted a replacement unit with the CCC kit and then back to CCC2 at a later time?

I didn't do the conversion of the replacement unit but my understanding is I only need a new thermostat, CCC2 board, and a new ambient sensor as the new style sensor was cut/removed during the initial conversion. The instructions also describe a few flag connectors that were cut/removed that I assume will need to be crimped on a few cut wires.

I'm replacing the remaining original heat pump soon and want to take this opportunity to change out the thermostat at the same time. My luck is that the thermostat will fail at some point and I'll need to convert two units to CCC2 because the original thermostat is no longer available.

Thanks

Bill
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Yes, I did exactly that. Fortunately I had disconnected and saved the ambient sensor and board so was able to re-use them. IIRC the medium fan speed wire had to be cut/insulated but as you say it was easy to crimp a new Faston on, there may have been more.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Yes, I did exactly that. Fortunately I had disconnected and saved the ambient sensor and board so was able to re-use them. IIRC the medium fan speed wire had to be cut/insulated but as you say it was easy to crimp a new Faston on, there may have been more.
Thanks. I think a dealer installed the unit for the previous owner and haven't found anything tucked away with other spare parts left for me.

I reached out to Dometic to see if I can buy these parts new. Can't find any part numbers so far. I'll reply back here if I get them. I imagine this will be coming up more often as the years go on.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
New seal for base of the new AC to air ducts needs to be ordered, all AC info is in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
]New seal for base of the new AC to air ducts needs to be ordered
Thanks for the reminder. I bought Newmar part #52715 for my Dometic Penguin 651816 15K BTU heat pump.

Dometic also responded:

CCC2 Board - 3312022.000
Ambient Sensor 26" - 3311731.000
Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

I've got some photos, wiring diagrams, and notes on the Penguin II conversion back from CCC to CCC2. I'll post them after everything is tested and verified to be correct. It was not that bad. After replacing the ambient sensor, there's just one modification for the reversing valve which operates differently on the new units, and a yellow wire that was capped and it's not clear if it even used.

I'm working on replacing the remaining original AC right now. Two questions if anyone knows for a Penguin II on a brite-tek rubber roof.

I have been looking at QT3 and this doc:

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...s/SS2011AC.pdf

- I thought I would have to remove the 14x14 gasket installed by Dometic and replace it with the one I bought from Newmar. The Newmar doc doesn't specify it must be replaced unless it was previously used. They seem to look the same. Does anyone know?

- I have found conflicting information about whether silicone is needed between the roof and the gasket. My old AC did not have any sealant here. The doc doesn't specify any sealant as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Any downside to adding the silicone or dicor self-leveling sealant other than more effort to remove it later?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBill View Post
- I thought I would have to remove the 14x14 gasket installed by Dometic and replace it with the one I bought from Newmar. The Newmar doc doesn't specify it must be replaced unless it was previously used. They seem to look the same. Does anyone know?

- I have found conflicting information about whether silicone is needed between the roof and the gasket. My old AC did not have any sealant here. The doc doesn't specify any sealant as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Any downside to adding the silicone or dicor self-leveling sealant other than more effort to remove it later?

Thanks
On your gasket is there a piece that goes in the middle like attached picture?
This is a Newmar only item.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8304.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	267884

When I replaced one of the AC units it had silicone sealant between gasket and roof. Most of what I read said no sealant. I installed without and did not like the way it was sitting. Pulled unit back up and added sealant just like the original install. No problems since this was done earlier this year.

My thread on replacing the unit. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/repl...dp-453259.html
Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
On your gasket is there a piece that goes in the middle like attached picture?
This is a Newmar only item.
Yes, I have that piece. I also have a new 14x14 square from Newmar as well. This might end up being a spare it seems. I ordered the kit that included both items plus small gasket squares presumably for the bolt connections.

Your thread is excellent and I've been looking at it. From the pic, it looks like you took off a Duo Therm (the sticker on the bottom) and replaced it with a Penguin II. Is that right?

I was thinking that explains why you had existing silicone and I did not. My original was an old Penguin from 2002. Either way, I am inclined to follow your approach unless there's something unique about the older DSDPs that originally used Penguin heat pumps with rubber roofs. I'd really like to use dicor around the gasket but lining that up would be tough.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I placed the unit in place dry marked the roof. Tilted unit over and was generous in the amount of silicone I put down. Tilted it back down watching my marks on the roof. The verified all was lined up correctly. Was actually pretty painless.
Good luck!
Old 11-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #10

I have never seen anything about using silicone, other than the bolts. I would call Newmar first as I was told dry installation but I have the fiberglass roof.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Some progress and one remaining problem. I'll recap what worked for me in case anyone else searches this thread in the future.

What worked

Using the manuals posted in the QT thread, there are only three wires/functions that don't translate directly over between the two generations of heat pumps.

1 - CCC2 requires a new ambient temp sensor to be installed.

2 - Medium fan speed
The original Penguin II units did not have a 3 speed fan and a 2nd gen unit would have this wire capped off during the conversion to CCC. It needs a new connector crimped on and connected to the medium fan connector on the CCC2 board.
3 - Reversing valve
Based on other threads here, the old units defaulted to heat and the new units default to cool from the reversing valve's point of view.
The CCC conversion required us to splice one of the purple reversing valve wires to a common/white wire. CCC2 does this via dedicated connectors on the CCC2 board itself. T6 and T7 are a group of terminals on the CCC2 board for the neutral/common connectors.
So, one violet reversing valve wire connects to the reversing valve terminal on the CCC2 board. The other violet reversing valve wire needs a new connector and goes to T7. T6 goes to the common/white wire grouping on the run capacitor. I had to use a piggyback connector because I ran out of terminals on the common group on the capacitor although I believe this is not recommended. I will change it later.
The manual says it doesn't matter which violet wire is used for the two connections.
Problem -

At this point, I have a brand new unmodified heat pump that works as expected with the new CCC2 thermostat. Heat and cool.

My converted unit works correctly in cool mode. However, even after resetting the thermostat multiple times to read the DIP switches, heat pump (HP) mode does not show up on the thermostat.

The CCC board I removed had no heat pump dip switch at all. I don't know if this is normal and was hoping someone here knows.

My model number translates to a black Penguin II heat pump although my unit is white.

I assume it really is a heat pump and not an AC-only unit. Otherwise, it would not have reversing valve wires if it were an AC-only unit, correct?

My only thought is that the DIP switch is not quite seated correctly and may not be fully "on".
Old 01-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

The reason the HP function didn't show up was a DIP switch not fully depressed. Otherwise, everything in this thread worked for the conversion back. Well worth it just to have the new thermostat that will display the actual temps inside and outside.

Tags
dometic