Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Convert Bus Pedals to Suspended?

Is there a way to convert bus-style accelerator and brake pedals to suspended ones? I was at the Detroit RV show this weekend and found I liked the suspended pedals better. Anyone ever do this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

I don't think you can do that easily. This is the way it was made by Freightliner and I guess you will just have to buy an '18 if you really must have this. I agree it is nice to have the tile go all the way under the pedals but since I use cruise control 90% of the time I think I will carry on suffering.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

I actually talked to Freightliner on this and they said absolutely no. Also asked if they could install independent front end, they were very nice and quoted me 35-40 thousand for that. I installed some pedal augmentations that helped tremendously on the pedal situation.
GMDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I don't think you can do that easily. This is the way it was made by Freightliner and I guess you will just have to buy an '18 if you really must have this. I agree it is nice to have the tile go all the way under the pedals but since I use cruise control 90% of the time I think I will carry on suffering.

X2 on using cruise control almost all of the time. It would be nice, but not ready to trade in for a newer coach.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I don't recall mentioning anything about a trade in

Like others, I use cruise pretty much when I can. I just find the angle of the bus style pedals odd in that I have to point my toes to depress the pedal.

I think it might be more comfortable if the pedals were closer to vertical. Maybe a wedge attached to the face of the pedal to reduce angle might work? Don't know. Just musing about possible mods.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gee, My '02 DS (on FL) DOES have suspended pedals, and the hardwood flooring DOES run all the way under the pedals. Just lucky, I guess.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDLA View Post
I installed some pedal augmentations that helped tremendously on the pedal situation.
Please elaborate the "pedal augmentations".
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #8

One thing I did was put some wood under the carpet in front of the pedals so now there is no longer that dip where the tile ends. Some people have added extensions to the pedals to bring them forward when they have trouble reaching them with their short legs. You can get commercial products to do this or add your own block of wood.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This guy used a door stop wedge. Might be a possibility.

https://youtu.be/r0wANj7HWOY
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #10

Petal Pal

The augmentation I installed was from Petal Pal and is really made for short people to reach the pedals. You bolt on and it gives you about two or three inches. The gas pedal piece is suspended from the flat pedal and in my opinion is much easier to use. It also allows me to move back just a bit from the steering wheel for a more comfortable position. It was around $100 if I recall.
GMDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I cut up some wedges out of 2x4's to experiment with. I found, to my surprise, that placing the wedge so that the thick part is closest to the floor is what feels best. It changes the angle such that my foot is in a more comfortable position.

Next, I'm going to get some oversized solid rubber door stops. I found one on Amazon that is part stainless steel, although I think I will go with black solid rubber. Should blend in nicely. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #12

I am 6' tall and I still have to move my seat all the way forward to work the pedals. This also puts my passenger side mirror out of wack a little. I have it adjusted as much as possible, but I have to lean back to see all the way down the side of the motorhome.

So I am watching this thread.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Update:

After hunting around for some type of rubber wedge, I tripped onto the idea of using shoe lifts. Bought a pair of 7 cm lifts on Amazon for $10. Cut off the toe and used VHB double stick tape. Tip: I found a few drops of super glue gives the tape quite a bit more holding power. Especially on soft, squishy surfaces.

Attached the wedges to the bottom of the pedals. The is gives the pedal a more natural feel allows my foot to rest in more neutral position.