Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

Well guess what. We dropped a spice bottle on the True Induction Cook Top and it put a nice spider crack on cook top. Called True Induction and will cost $99 for repair. Cook Top put in place with double sided tape and was a little hard getting out and needless to say I put a few more cracks in it. Used plastic pry tools (purchased at Harbor Freight) to get it out. Didn't want to scratch counter top.
Was looking at Dutch Star Don's post and we liked what he did. Will be getting butcher block for NEW cook top.
Spirit2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

Newmar glue around the edge of the glass top so you need a sharp knife to cut through all that goop. Then you should be able to push up from the bottom without using any tools.
Greg, did you check that the underside supports are in the correct place according to the installation instructions? I discovered Newmar installed mine 180 degrees from where they should be!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #17

I am about to order a new coach & am thinking about having no cooktop installed.

I can use a portable induction burner when needed, and have a clear counter top when not. I can also use the portable burner outside.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"99phantoms".....that's not a bad idea. We're not big cooks, so we don't use the cooktop that often. We use the microwave more than anything. True Induction makes the same model as the one Newmar installs, but in a counter top free standing model. That might be a good choice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"99phantoms".....that's not a bad idea. We're not big cooks, so we don't use the cooktop that often. We use the microwave more than anything. True Induction makes the same model as the one Newmar installs, but in a counter top free standing model. That might be a good choice.
That is the model that I retrofitted in the cooktop "well" in our 08, it works great. Having it sit on the countertop, as you said, would give you terrific counterspace.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

DSDon,
From your post, I ordered a white plastic cutting board (1/2"). Just thought it would blend in better on the counter. The draw back if used as a cutting board may be knife cuts. However we'll probably just a stove top cover.

Greg & Ronda
2015 DSDP 4369
gjbeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #21

This is how I did mine for the dw. She did not need a cutting board we have one.I tried to match the counter top as close as I could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooktop cover.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	101979  
Old 08-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #22

Does anyone know if the induction cook tops in the 2015 DSDP are the same exact size? If so, I want to order a cutting board before delivery. I went to the website Don referred to and it is down for 8 weeks. They are moving.
I found another in Canada that makes some pretty neat custom cutting boards. Canadian Cutting Boards | Cape Breton, NS

They are not cheap but neither is the coach. The cost is 4225 plus shipping which is $40 to Florida.

Phil
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Phil, I just looked at the Canadian boards and they make some nice stuff. As a matter of a fact you can go to Amazon and find the Kobi blocks that I used. The problem is that they're all precut and don't come any larger than 24". The purpose of the custom one I had made was to cover the True Induction top without touching it or laying on it. In order to do that, you have to custom order the larger size, which is a custom size.

There are some cutting boards that are pretty close to the size of the cooktop. If someone wanted to, you could glue the rubberized cabinet liner material to the bottom and then place on the cooktop, giving a nice look and protection.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #24

Don-

I like the way you did your board and I am going to do the exact same.
Makes sense to do the custom cut and add the rubber feet to keep it from moving past the cook top surface. Nice mod!

Phil
Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife was also concerned about potentially damaging the cooktop and she would like to have more work space.

We did something a bit different as we wanted a solution that would hide the cooktop, give us the additional work area we need and make the countertop look more spacious as well. I'm at Newmar this week for service and asked them to cut me a piece of Corian to match our countertop material. After some discussion and sketches we decided to machine the Corian so it would fit down over the glass cooktop and sit down on the countertop. This resulted in a very low profile solution that can't slide off the countertop and is very light weight as well.

DW is thrilled with the additional counter space she has now.

Newmar says they are going to make this available for sale as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooktop Cover.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	102293  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That looks great. I find you can slide it over onto the pull out drawer top when you need to use the cooktop.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #27

Scott, that really looks nice. Great idea Did Newmar say when they would make it available?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #28

Wow! That is a great idea. Now I am really stumped.
I like them both. I guess it comes down to when they will be available from Newmar. what is the cost for the cover? The wood top from Canada is $225.00 plus $40.00 to ship.

Phil