RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
I have had CoPilot for years and I have the RV version for the motorhome and the regular version for my car. I have not seen anything from CoPilot about going to yearly subscriptions.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both rv and car apps and both android and apple. None have gone to monthly subscription for me either. Free lifetime upgrades and maps.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #59

I have the Android version of the app. Yesterday it updated and the RV profile disappeared. I was looking into the Copilot RV version and it is a one time payment of $59.99. Maybe the subscription is just for the Iphone?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #60

I really donít think they have their updates and new pricing in place yet. If you look on the apple store at copilot, the yearly RV subscription is there but you canít click the icon. I sent them a message but no response yet.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #61

I really don't want to pay $60 but what are the options? I'm not paying 300 for a Garmin and Google maps uses a lot of data. It's a shame because the old version worked fine for me.
Raylance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylance View Post
I really don't want to pay $60 but what are the options? I'm not paying 300 for a Garmin and Google maps uses a lot of data. It's a shame because the old version worked fine for me.
The mortality for these resident database IOS navigation apps has been dramatic. Both TomTom and Navigon, both good navigators with resident navigation databases on device (no internet connection needed), have shutdown in the last year. Garmin bought Navigon just to shut them down. Garmin wants to own the device plus navigation program market and they are well on the way.

For now, with a good internet connection in the coach, I am staying with the internet based Google Maps, Bing Maps, Apple Maps and Waze. The navigators work just fine in my New Aire. When I venture down an unknown route I make sure all is well for the NA by checking the Truckers Atlas before departure. So far no surprises.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #63

My iPad listed the legacy CoPilot RV app as needing an update. When I tapped the update button it said no longer available.

I went to the app store and downloaded the new one (grey steering wheel). I entered my login and it automatically restored my purchase which included all my settings. I had to download new maps.

Bonus is now the traffic bar is back. My free year was up and I did not renew as I did not like it as well as had problems. This version looks new and improved so we will see.

No mention about a subscription.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup still no RV profile.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #65

I just downloaded last week the latest version of copilot and signed up for the 2 week trial. It is a full version. I entered RV height, length, etc. I sent on a 600 mile road trip. I used google maps as a comparison. The Copilot sent me on a wild out of the way route that turned out to be 1 hour longer than the Google map route and it was a much more difficult drive on the Copilot route which took me over a 9700ft elevation mountain pass. I drove home on the Google map route, not near the mountain pass problem, better road and 1 hour faster. Goodbye Copilot.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #66

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Copilot GPS

It seems with any gps one needs to know where one is going and use gps as a guide. I have had my Garmin Nivea take through cities, when the highway brought me within a few blocks of my destination. It has taken me over back mountain roads, when the highway that I was on connected with the next, etc. I now, when possible, check several sources and approve a route before submitting to a gps. Sometimes I have to ignore it until it recognizes the route I desire. The wonders of modern technology!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM   #67

I find the same thing, not sure if it is my settings or what is going on. I usually insert a number of "pass through here" way points along the route to ensure it fits my needs. I also found if you don't get down tight and examine the route it might have taken you off the highway onto frontage road or some stupid thing like that.

When I set up any trip heading west or south, Copilot tries to send me on the Cross Bronx Expressway and the George Washington Bridge, not exactly the best route with a motorhome.

Still unsure what to do with Copilot as I am still now running the auto version (thanks to the last automatic upgrade) and primarily concerned with low bridges. If there were a way to get the low bridge data base into the software I would be less concerned.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I just downloaded last week the latest version of copilot and signed up for the 2 week trial. It is a full version. I entered RV height, length, etc. I sent on a 600 mile road trip. I used google maps as a comparison. The Copilot sent me on a wild out of the way route that turned out to be 1 hour longer than the Google map route and it was a much more difficult drive on the Copilot route which took me over a 9700ft elevation mountain pass. I drove home on the Google map route, not near the mountain pass problem, better road and 1 hour faster. Goodbye Copilot.
Two questions.

In the CoPilot app if you remove the RV information, or use the auto route, does it still route you the long way? I have found that the weight setting makes a big difference due to city or county truck weight restrictions, particularly when trying to get into a RV park on or near one of those roads.

Would you mind posting your start, end and any major stops on your route? I'm curious to see what route my Rand tablet or Garmin device would come up with?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Two questions.

In the CoPilot app if you remove the RV information, or use the auto route, does it still route you the long way? I have found that the weight setting makes a big difference due to city or county truck weight restrictions, particularly when trying to get into a RV park on or near one of those roads.

Would you mind posting your start, end and any major stops on your route? I'm curious to see what route my Rand tablet or Garmin device would come up with?
Salt lake city Utah to Escalante Utah and back.

Interestingly, my Google maps seems to be the most reliable and up to date. Also, the built in Axxera dash nav on my Thor is actually pretty darn good and seems to be better than Copilot. I am done with CoPilot. I don't think the weight or height was the problem because the way Google took me home was on larger, better roads and more interstate....it was like CoPilot was the opposite of what I would have predicted.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Salt lake city Utah to Escalante Utah and back.

Interestingly, my Google maps seems to be the most reliable and up to date. Also, the built in Axxera dash nav on my Thor is actually pretty darn good and seems to be better than Copilot. I am done with CoPilot. I don't think the weight or height was the problem because the way Google took me home was on larger, better roads and more interstate....it was like CoPilot was the opposite of what I would have predicted.
When I enter those points into CoPilot using my RV profile here's the route that comes up:

I-15 - 213 miles to
Hwy 20 - 20.8 miles to
Hwy 89 - 17 miles to
Hwy 12 to 59.5 to Escalante

I got the same route with Google maps. Did you get a different route with CoPilot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoPilot SLC to Escalante.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	242967  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps