RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

I am getting corrosion (?) in my battery box. This is new in the last 2 weeks. Battery was filled with distilled water and not over filled. MH hooked to shore power and charger is in float mode. There is corrosion on the strap buckle, strap tie down and one terminal. I know what to do to clean and fix the problem. I just an courious why this is happening? Any ideas? I have pictures but don't know how to add to post.

Thanks

2007 Dutch Star
petefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

I am getting corrosion (?) in my battery box. This is new in the last 2 weeks. Battery was filled with distilled water and not over filled. MH hooked to shore power and charger is in float mode. There is corrosion on the strap buckle, strap tie down and one terminal. I know what to do to clean and fix the problem. I just an courious why this is happening? Any ideas? I have pictures but don't know how to add to post.

Thanks

2007 Dutch Star
Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

You'll get many replies on this subject. First, don't fill to the ring, stay below that point. It didn't work for me however. I finally got so fed up with the corrosion I added 2oz. of mineral oil to each battery not caring if I ruined the batteries. This has been done by many. IT WORKED! No more corrosion and that was 2 years ago. There are also special battery caps available that help.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

I should have said I added 2oz. of mineral oil to each cell.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mine did the corrosion thing really bad. I tested each cell and found, of 4 batteries, 3 had bad cells! I have no idea if this contributed to the corrosion. I changed all 4 batteries to AGM style. This took care of the corrosion problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #6

I did the same as Gary, changed all 8 house batteries to AGM. Mine is all electric which is like a non-all electric coach battery bank on steroids, as far as corrosion is concerned.

Peter
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

I stopped at the dealership to check some measurements while they were PDI'ing my coach. I saw they had mounds of baking soda all over the batteries and drawer, and horrible corrosion everywhere. I pitched a fit about it and they assured me that it would all be taken care of.
Fast forward to about 3 weeks after getting it, I went to double check the electrolyte level, and found massive corrosion all over the batteries and surrounding area. The corrosion was so bad the hooks on the ends of the straps were already rotted away and about to fall off. One strap was already missing, the hooks were 80% gone.
The first thing I did was spray everything down with corrosion cleaner/acid neutralizer. After the box was reasonably clean I yanked the batteries, pressure washed the entire area, then wire brushed everything. I painted the entire area with rubber bed liner and replaced the house batteries with LifeLine AGM's. I've been keeping a close eye on them for the past few weeks since I did this and the box is fine, no corrosion of any kind. The coach has been on float charge since doing all of this work.

I also found bad corrosion on one of the slide bearings for the drawer. I cleaned all of them as well as possible and lubed them thoroughly with a white lithium spray. Additionaly, the batteries tested fine, I gave them to a friend and he is using them in his tool delivery truck to power his inverter for lights, computer and printer.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

test

2007 Dutch Star
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peter:

There have been several threads RE: "Battery Corrosion" on the forum. If you have ruled out bad battery/cells (They can cause "boiling" off acid fumes), you might want to look at your charge cycle controller. The unit on my Scottsdale had a wire jumper that you could use to get "Fast Charge". I bought a Microchip controller from the manufacturer (Newmar didn't spend the extra $25.00 8-)that plugs into the unit and that has reduced the overcharging.
The usual culprit in corrosion is the "Boiling off" of the battery acid. The fumes are highly corrosive. So anything you do to prevent the "boil off" will lessen the corrosive effects.

Also, look at the charge controller for any solar panel that you may have installed. These can also boil off the acid if they are not controlled.

FYI my rig has deep cycle marine cells and so far I have had zippo trouble with corrosion.
I go over all connections spring and fall and spray them with the anticorrosion spray. The mineral oil and the attention to the charge rates seem to be doing the trick so far. But, cells can and do fail so vigilance is still required (so true in RVing )

All of the suggestions that have been posted are also valid. The old mineral oil in the cells is a good one. I used to run a battery shop in a steel mill where we serviced the huge battery packs for the fork lifts. All our cells had the mineral oil in them.

If you need anymore info, just post here or PM me.

Good luck and travel safely!

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CSX4350:
The corrosion was so bad the hooks on the ends of the straps were already rotted away and about to fall off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking to replace the "hooks" but can't find them on Internet [probably because of improper name. Did you replace yours and if so where did you find them ?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

I pitched a fit to the selling dealer and they replaced them for free. They had them in stock, I assume this isn't an unusual problem. The hooks are an integral part of the straps, and are sold as a set only.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leo,

I was crawling around under my rig and I noticed my battery tray has a name plate on it (on the rear side of it). www.keylinesaleselkhart.com. Maybe that will help you get the hold downs. Mine was corroded away also.

The tray has the name "Journeyman" on it also.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max Hubrich:
Leo,

I was crawling around under my rig and I noticed my battery tray has a name plate on it (on the rear side of it). www.keylinesaleselkhart.com. Maybe that will help you get the hold downs. Mine was corroded away also.

The tray has the name "Journeyman" on it also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks I'll give it a shot.

I found their Journeyman web site

http://www.keylinesaleselkhart.com/C..._Catalog07.pdf
Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I am also considering replacing my house batteries with AGMs. Are there any changes necessary to the charger or inverter? Also, can anyone suggest a good source for the AGM batteries?
Thanks
Jim

Geri and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote