Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01
...Why doesn't Newmar have an adequate Quality inspection/subsystem check out process ..
no factory has a perfect system, it's run by humans - normally the dealer, who is the factory's actual customer, is responsible for post factory inspection after the vehicle arrives at their dealership - and their cost for servicing their customer is built into what they charge for the coach.

You are not the factory's customer, the dealer is... but,

when you order factory delivery, and I assume you have 'priced' this around to several dealers, the winning dealer considers this factory delivery as part of their 'discount' for not having to take delivery of the unit, wash it, inventory it, have time and cost of their personnel to do all of the normal chores after it arrives, even if you special ordered it and are picking it up the next day - the dealer has ALL of the same work.

Since the FACTORY charges the dealer a fixed rate, regardless of whether it's delivered to the dealer, or is for factory pickup, THEY now have the burden of providing the after build Customer delivery - and there is certainly a fair cost associated with that. And, it's well worth it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I think there are more people opting for factory pickup and Newmar has a problem handling this many. By putting the price up they hope to put some people off so they can cope with demand. It now takes weeks after build to free up a tech. to do the delivery work.
In my case, my coach was delivered directly to the dealer and I was there when it arrived (so no other customer got to play with it). The dealer tech. spent 2 days with me doing the prep and handover. I was also able to park my old motorhome, which we were trading, next to the new one and transfer all our goods. The price for delivery and prep is included in the price and you do not get a reduction if you opt for factory delivery.
It's a choice, but don't assume the dealer does nothing.
When I purchased my 2014 Newmar Mountain Aire I sent an order form to 6 dealers. When I called one of the dealers after he had already gave me a price I told him that I was going to do a FPU he then lowered his price $2000. He explained that he would not have to pay a driver and fuel for delivery and he would not have to have one of his techs to go through everything and spend time with the delivery. The best way to get prices is get the price and at the end of negotiating tell the dealer you are going to do a factory pickup and he should adjust his price
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I used it as a bargaining chip too. Dealers have a lot of room to play it seems. Never hurts to try otherwise they win.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have to provide a trained service staffer to show how to use it, your documentation sucks.

If people are picking up at the factory so that all of the screw-ups are fixed before departure, your quality control sucks.

$0.02, perhaps overpriced.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Brad - I'm a new RV'er, I'm going not to check quality but get a more in depth learning experience. I'm also going to get a background on Newmar to be more proud of my coach and more so my choice in this hopefully one time purchase to last all my RV years. Some of us do this for different reasons. It's not micro managing the process but instead an education.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #20

I am still confused though - let's take ewlee's situation - if he had not done an FPU, would the tech have spotted the paint that they had to touch up 3 times? Or would it have shipped that way and then the dealer would have tried to do something about it (in utter failure)? I still think it is an awfully expensive way to get them to be quality conscious - they should be that way 100% of the time - no excuses, humans or not. These things are not in the least bit inexpensive, so you would think they would step up the Quality Control for what you're paying.
As for showing people how to use the system - I think someone has to, I would bet that most people don't read the manuals - ever, whether the manuals are good or bad (my Owners guide sure points to other's manuals a lot, so I would say it is not that great). I have read my owners guide maybe a half dozen times and I've only had the coach 7 months. I read it because I am a total neophyte when it comes to RVs (not so much anymore but 7 months ago I definitely was). Having the techs there to show you around the coach and do his normal QC job is the cost of doing business - 7 days of the techs C&Bs (costs and benefits) is a very minimal % of what they are charging you for the coach.
I still think that it is a double edged sword - you get screwed by paying them to be quality conscious if you do a FPU OR you get screwed because they weren't, you didn't do a FPU and the coach arrives the dealer with the problems missed at the factory.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #21

I could bet a bundle and win big that the coach would have arrived at the dealer with the problems that I found on FPU. Now, given my quality control background, I will be the first to admit that I was quite picky (Hell, real picky) and this being my third rodeo I kind of knew what to look for and check. Given the ability of most dealers, the factory is where to go. If you are the type of person that gets lost in the bling, you would not have found most things.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The tech spends a week with your coach, at least theoretically, before you even get there. He is supposed to be testing everything, every switch, knob and system, for proper operation and doing an additional quality control check. It would be a rare dealer that would spend that much time and effort pre delivery. They also have to do the pre delivery clean up that your dealer would normally do. That said, you will probably still find things that need to be taken care of, especially after you've spent a night or two in it. Your dealer would tell you, "we've ordered the parts, bring it back in a couple of weeks". Your factory tech will tell you, "I've ordered the parts, they'll be here in an hour".

His time is yours for a full work week. Right now they have a sign on the service department door that their hourly rate is $124. For a 40 hour week that comes to $4,960, before tax, and remember they've already spent a week with the coach before you get there.

As for "is it worth it", the answer is as individual as we all are.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #23

The reason for doing an FPU is to get the best people available to teach you about your new motorhome, the best and fastest resolution to any manufacturing defects, and for you to drive away with a good experience. There is value to that. I chose not to do the FPU for my lower end BSS and upon review perhaps a mistake. I surely would have done it if it were one of the high end DP's. Getting things fixed at the dealer that should have been caught at the factory is a PIA, lots of finger pointing as to why it takes so long. Only the buyer can determine if the cost is worth it. It's an easy decision if the mh costs upwards of $300k harder to justify at $100.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As a brand new rver's DH and I chose FPU even though it seemed like a very expensive option. In additional to the extra QC, we felt the in depth education provided by the factory SME's might save us some money down the road if we DON'T break an expensive component. [emoji1]. I know a lot of dealerships are reported to do wonderful deliveries, but I cannot imagine one that will really give a customer 5 days of it.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We are doing our factory pick up in June and the reasons have already been explained by others on this thread. One thing stood out to me as I have been following the Newmar forum for 3 years, not one person that has had done fpu has said it's not worth it or that they wouldn't do it again. It is only those that have never done it that speak against it.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
We are doing our factory pick up in June and the reasons have already been explained by others on this thread. One thing stood out to me as I have been following the Newmar forum for 3 years, not one person that has had done fpu has said it's not worth it or that they wouldn't do it again. It is only those that have never done it that speak against it. :dance:
IMO most are not speaking against it but wondering why it would be necessary to get a good coach and why it costs so much.