Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Cover or not to cover motorhome

I purchase a new cover yesterday for my new Ventana 3634. After I got home, I have second thoughts on the idea. I was wondering if I would end up not using the cover because of the hassle of it. I house has a lot of wind but is shady 75 % of the day due to trees and our 2 story house.
It may take a lot of the fun out of the coach if I have to cover and uncover it all the time. We do a lot of weekend trips.
umcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my opinion is , if u always on go. i wouldnt use it, unless alwasy in sun, but if u get fall season with leaves falling i may use it
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

This is kinda like a gas vs diesel, motorhome vs 5th wheel, Ford vs Chevy debate. Some people swear by covers, and some people swear at covers.

I have one, and use it during the winter and remove it in the spring. For me, a cover is great. It's really nice to uncover a clean motorhome in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcontractor View Post
I purchase a new cover yesterday for my new Ventana 3634. After I got home, I have second thoughts on the idea. I was wondering if I would end up not using the cover because of the hassle of it. I house has a lot of wind but is shady 75 % of the day due to trees and our 2 story house.
It may take a lot of the fun out of the coach if I have to cover and uncover it all the time. We do a lot of weekend trips.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a cover and have had since my MH was new. The things people do not like about them is that they rip, they chafe, and they require being put on and taken off. Some claim they trap moisture but a good cover breathes and is vented. Every claim has some truth mine rip, I repair, mine chafe but not much and I rub it out, I get mine on and off by myself, moisture has not effected my MH when under the cover.

I am a seasonal user so I use the MH then clean and wax it and put it under cover. It remove it from storage maybe four times in a year. If I had to install and remove a cover on a frequent basis it might just change the dynamics for me. It would be a nuisance even though I do not consider it an especially difficult job.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Geez, when you look at all the motorhomes on lots around this country and none of them have them why do you think you need one. Kind of like the A/C covers, you never use them probably 9 months out the year, why put them on for 3 months. Sounds like a lot of extra work and money spent. Just my opinion though.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would only use one if storing for off season. The recurring on/off would be too much hassle during times of use.

Got room for an RV carport?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

We are fulltime. It cannot be covered! We did cover it in snow season before that.

Turn yours around once in a while. It will gain and evenly applied layer of value adding patina.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Geez, when you look at all the motorhomes on lots around this country and none of them have them why do you think you need one. Kind of like the A/C covers, you never use them probably 9 months out the year, why put them on for 3 months. Sounds like a lot of extra work and money spent. Just my opinion though.
There are multiple factors here and so it is difficult to generalize. My MH sits in a lot with about twenty other MH's. Out of the twenty, two are covered, the others look old beyond their years.

I'm glad I cover mine it protects it quite well but again I am a seasonal user and store about as much as I travel and for long periods. If it was affordable most of us would have our MH's indoors would we not?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #9

Part of the answer depends upon where you live. We live in the pacific North"wet" and most "experts" don't recommend covering in this climate due to winds, rain and continuous moisture that results in moss and mildew. Covering only exacerbates the problem. A sunny or snowy climate would be much more cover friendly.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought one for a trailer I had years ago.

Used it a few times and decided it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

I can't imagine putting one on my Class A. Just not for me I guess.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The hassle and the chafing is enough for us not to use one.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To Cover or Not to Cover, that is the question

Well when I bought my Class A Used, it came with a cover. I spread it out to see what it looked like and if it was something I could install and take off by my self as my wife is handicapped.

Yeah I think I could handle it, but I folded and rolled it up and put it in the storage bag, and put it in the garage and there it sits untouched since that day.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We cover our MH; pretty easy for one person to do if you remembered to fold it up correctly after the end of the previous storage. But it sits from November to March under a bunch of trees (birds, leaves, sap, etc). Don't use the cover except in the off-season. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome