Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Cracked Windshield

A few months ago we got a rock chips right in the middle of the windshield of our Bay Star. We had it repaired but in the last week we noticed it was getting a bit bigger until today when we leveled and it split from one side to the other.

A couple questions - anyone dealt with having to replace their windshield? If so, anything to watch out for?

Also, we have a warranty appointment at Newmar in mid May and would prefer to have the work done there - any idea how long we can drive like this? I realize this is safety glass, but considering the pressure/force of the coach shifting while leveling caused the crack, I'm concerned about it damaging the window beyond anything that would be safe to drive down the road.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No problem.
Drive it until your appointment.

It may split from one side all the way to the other.
This will not create a problem unless a police officer
notices it and gives you notice to have it repaired in a
certain length of time.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

We went through two windshields last year. Probably drove around 3-5,000 miles with the cracked windshields between the two repairs. We didn't have any problems. There was additional cracking but none of it was in front of the driver.

The first broken windshield was due to a rock tossed up by a truck going the opposite direction. Sounded like a gunshot and produced an impact crater that exposed the plastic film between the sheets of glass. I did fill the crater with clear silicone caulk to prevent or reduce water intrusion. We still drove 3-5000 miles before that windshield was replaced.

The replacement windshield developed a stress crack after about a month. Still drove another 3-5000 miles before that one was replaced. The folks that installed the second windshield did a little carving on the front of the dash before installing the windshield. Their windshield has survived for about 11 months so far...
Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

We have a 04 Essex which we purchased new and have over 125K miles on it and have 3 windshields replaced. Each time they have leaked and I have had to reseal them because they didn't put enough sealer. One time the windshield came with 5 tubes of sealer and they only used 2 and said that all it needed and gave the 3 other tubes. A lot more work to stop water leaks after windshield is in so might suggest to ask who does the work to make sure they use all the sealer that comes with windshield or if it is their sealer to use enough.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Along the lines of this thread, I just had a windshield replaced and not a week later took another rock and crack. If I turn it into my insurance company (Good Sam) am I going to see my premiums go up?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies so far - sounds like its best to have it done when we go up to Newmar by the sounds of things.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"weretherusso"......In California, where you live, you can be cited for a cracked windshield. The citation usually requires repair within 48 hours. Chances are you wont be cited, but be aware of the law.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"weretherusso"......In California, where you live, you can be cited for a cracked windshield. The citation usually requires repair within 48 hours. Chances are you wont be cited, but be aware of the law.
Thanks Don - I was aware of the law but we don't live in CA now (full timers) and are TX residents. Either way I think we'll see if we can get the replacement done at Newmar.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had two windows replaced in two different rigs. I had comprehensive coverage on my insurance with 0 deductible and they arranged everything. I set an appointment when the glass repair company called and they put it in. They asked me to let it sit for at least a day for the adhesive to cure. Most glass companies use Duncan for the Glass. It may take a week or so to get your windshield. My premiums did not go up after either replacement.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

If you get a small chip and no crack right away have Safeway Autoglass make a repair. They guarantee the repair and will replace the windshield if it cracks
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
If you get a small chip and no crack right away have Safeway Autoglass make a repair. They guarantee the repair and will replace the windshield if it cracks
We had the chip repaired by Safelite right after we got it. The guarantee they provide for repairs is specific to the repair and if your glass cracks at the point of repair, they will credit you the cost of the repair towards the replacement of the windshield. https://www.safelite.com/national-lifetime-warranty/

Progressive paid 100% for the repair and we're going to have Newmar install the new windshield. I called this morning and Newmar advised that this is the one repair they would strongly suggest having done at the factory - we're headed there for warranty work anyway so that's what we'll do.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Just had my windshield replaced in my Discovery. Took a rock that caused a crack on my first trip. Took the guy 2 hours to replace. No leaks, but I'm getting a lot of wind noise I did not notice before. I also think I'm getting a buzzing sound around 55mph from the outer molding vibrating. I'm going to tape it wit masking tape when I go out next weekend to see if that reduces the noise. If it does I'll call the installer back and get it fixed.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

tape

don't use masking tape if your gonna leave it on for more than a day.

it will be very difficult to get off if not impossible. i've seen enough boats

where people have used masking tape when painting the bottom

only to find out the next day it won't come off.

YMMV

Jim
Old 04-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #14

Going to have mine done this week on my Canyon Star. Went thru my local Newmar dealer who subs the job out to a local glass place. Veted the dealer and glass place, no problems seen. Will report back, might have to change my date snowing like crazy here in Mass.