Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cracked Windshield

I feel like I’m a problem child but I have another “problem”. Cracked windshield! I’m picky. Your experiences? We wouldn’t have Newmars if we all weren’t picky. I am in Virginia(southeast). Has anyone had it done at Newmar. Help! DW is so upset.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

We are in the same boat, so to speak. Leaving our winter home in SW Florida last month and within the first 300 miles "bang". Ratty old dirty flat bed went flying by dropping gravel all over......nice 2" crack that has now spread to 12".

Mine is not in my line of vision so I'm letting it go until fall. With our upcoming travels and another 5,000 to 7,000 miles to do I would hate to have it replaced right away only to get another cracked one before August!

It will be interesting to see what others have done, SafeLite, other large glass company, or Newmar dealer/factory?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar can replace windshields. A number of years ago, I had mine replaced then shortly after had occasion to be st factory for other work. While there found my “new” windshield was slipping some. Newmar removed and reinstalled it. That was 5 or 6 years ago. Still good.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just went through the experience last month with ours. Called NIRVC in Lewisville, Texas. They handled everything with the insurance company. Replaced with a Genuine Newmar replacement windshield.

Company they used did an outstanding job....
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

If you are insured in Florida your windshield will be replaced for free. I believe there are a few other states also.

Should not drive with large crack in WS, especially if it is on HER side.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
I feel like I’m a problem child but I have another “problem”. Cracked windshield! I’m picky. Your experiences? We wouldn’t have Newmars if we all weren’t picky. I am in Virginia(southeast). Has anyone had it done at Newmar. Help! DW is so upset.
Had mine replaced at Newmar last August. When they were cutting out the old sealant they accidentally sliced the Diamond Shield. Other than that, so far so good.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
If you are insured in Florida your windshield will be replaced for free.
All depends on how you define "free".

You pay premiums for that insurance policy. So does everyone else. Where does the insurance company get the money to pay the claim?

Claims history is one (among many) of the factors that effects the premium offered when you renew your policy.

For sure, if you need a replacement, it's time to get your insurance company involved.

I've always been concerned that availing oneself of the offer of "free" chip repair creates a claim on your insurance policy which might result in a premium increase when you renew your policy.

I was once told, "Nothing's free."

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In January, we had the pleasure of driving on that miserable "under construction forever" interstate 4 in Orlando. Had a rock hit our windshield about two inches from bottom of windshield on passenger side. It was a "star burst" a little larger than a quarter. Safelite came to the RV Resort a couple of days later and fixed it. You can see the "star" but it is low enough so can't be seen unless you really look. The technician told me that a crack over a 50 cent piece - it usually will not work.

If it didn't hold, we would have had to replace! And that would have been a Newmar equivalent windshield - Newmar does not make the windshields either!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #9

Dear Mr. 777 Driver, I did say replaced in Florida free. No deductible. It is insurance you must have, windshield or not and the free windshield replacement is not offered in all states. Some of which will have higher premiums than Fla.

A number of years ago we had the windshields replaced on a 1995 Pace Arrow because they had popped out. $1500. no out of pocket.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #10

All Florida policies include the "free" windshield replacement. My agent told me it is one per year with no deductible. I assume that would be per vehicle or per insurance policy. I know you still are paying for insurance but it is still a nice benefit.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
We are in the same boat, so to speak. Leaving our winter home in SW Florida last month and within the first 300 miles "bang". Ratty old dirty flat bed went flying by dropping gravel all over......nice 2" crack that has now spread to 12".

Mine is not in my line of vision so I'm letting it go until fall. With our upcoming travels and another 5,000 to 7,000 miles to do I would hate to have it replaced right away only to get another cracked one before August!

It will be interesting to see what others have done, SafeLite, other large company, or Newmar dealer/factory?
We had a star-crack of about 3” or so repaired by Safelite when in Foley AL. The young lady did a great job: this was in the drivers section, and almost a year later it’s still the same (almost invisible & hasn’t spread).

If/when we need a replacement we would only take it to Newmar factory or one of their best-rated repair places.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #12

If my Florida insurance policy would agree and I could get appointment that is where I would rather have it replaced. We generally are within 200 miles of northern Indiana during some point visiting family anyway.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #13

Florida vehicle policies cover repairs anywhere in NA. At least every policy I've ever seen. You don't need to go home for the replacement.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI- I called Newmar. The only windshield replacement they do is that which is warranty work. So...not an option.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield