Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #15

From a 5er owner... does it sit on air bags? That would be the ride height? .............
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Their specification page is different from the brochure. I would go with what CS said. Good luck.
Okay, we must be looking at different brochures because the specification page and the brochure I have are identical.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
From a 5er owner... does it sit on air bags? That would be the ride height? .............
Yes, Newmar CS said the heights they list are ride heights, and you get a few inches back when you dump the air bags.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #18

I'm not at my unit right now but will be this week end, and if you want, I'll get an actual measurement to the top of the ladder. My 3434 should be the same as the 3437.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm not at my unit right now but will be this week end, and if you want, I'll get an actual measurement to the top of the ladder. My 3434 should be the same as the 3437.
I would greatly appreciate that. I'm hypersensitive to this issue because if I buy the RV and it doesn't fit in the garage my wife will shoot me, and then I will shoot me.

If it's possible to get the height with the bags inflated, and deflated, that would be very helpful.

Thanks again for the generous offer.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Do you have the Ventana, or the Ventana LE?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
kwilkins, if you're thinking of lowering the air bags make sure you don't have to turn the wheel. On most coaches with air bags while they can be lowered and moved a little you can't turn the steering wheel because the front wheels hit the wheel well. Just another thing to consider.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Concrete, on an uphill grade. Plus, I would need to lower 3 to 4 inches to accommodate a 12'8" coach.
I'm only guessing without having photos to look at, but think loading docks and how a lot of truck ramps indent below grade in order for their tails to align with the warehouse floor.

IF it's a slight uphill grade, you won't have drainage to worry about. Cut out existing concrete and pour a new floor as low as you like (I'd go 6", just to be sure). Doing this might be less costly than having to settle for something you'd rather not have, or paying for a custom coach to be built.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
kwilkins, if you're thinking of lowering the air bags make sure you don't have to turn the wheel. On most coaches with air bags while they can be lowered and moved a little you can't turn the steering wheel because the front wheels hit the wheel well. Just another thing to consider.
I would need to turn the wheels very slightly to position in the garage. I'm thinking maybe an inch or two. Do you think that would be a problem?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
IF it's a slight uphill grade, you won't have drainage to worry about. Cut out existing concrete and pour a new floor as low as you like (I'd go 6", just to be sure). Doing this might be less costly than having to settle for something you'd rather not have, or paying for a custom coach to be built.
Interesting idea. What kind of contractor do you think would be best to call for something like this?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Yes, Newmar CS said the heights they list are ride heights, and you get a few inches back when you dump the air bags.
UM...I would be VERY careful about that whole scenario. As mentioned by you there is a need to turn the wheels and that could be fine but....Don't you hate that!

2 things can go wrong...

1. You under estimate your maneuvering needs and can't get it where you want without bigger turns.

2. You accidentally activate the travel mode that will inflate bags and crunch your ceiling.

You are in a predicament once you get in there because you can't raise the coach to make bigger turns and thus you are really stuck.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but unless you can put the coach in the barn on the bags. Call me the ever lasting worry wart but putting size 12 feet in size 11.5 shoes just seems to be asking for longer term problems and very unsatisfying.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with SkyBoss on this one. After owning three motorhomes, the last two DP's, I know that things don't always go as planned. Your scenario does not give you much wiggle room which can be needed. Spending north of $200K on a new coach that may just barely fit in the garage unless you dump the air would not be my choice. Rather than jackhammer the floor, how about building a carport on the side of the garage for the coach you would really like to have?

Also, someone mentioned a satellite dome. Whatever coach you end up with, don't waste your money on a dome. They are pretty crappy, suffer from rain fade and other issues. Get a real sat dish like a Winegard Traveler. It works and automatically stows lower on your roof than any dome.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I'm with SkyBoss on this one. After owning three motorhomes, the last two DP's, I know that things don't always go as planned. Your scenario does not give you much wiggle room which can be needed. Spending north of $200K on a new coach that may just barely fit in the garage unless you dump the air would not be my choice. Rather than jackhammer the floor, how about building a carport on the side of the garage for the coach you would really like to have?
I hear you, and Sky Boss. I’m not crazy at all about the idea of having to dump the bags to drive in the garage. Unfortunately there is no option to build a new garage for the RV due to the configuration of the property, plus the town ordinances wouldn’t allow it. Also, our town does not allow RV’s or Boats to be “seen” from the street, so keeping the RV outside is not an option.

I could go with a Winnebago Forza 34t (which is a DP) and it’s only 12ft high, so no problem getting in the garage. I would really prefer a Newmar though, I think the quality is a few steps up from the Winny; bonus is Comfort Drive.

There are 2 things that keep me from abandoning this quest. I called Newmar and spoke with someone who seemed very knowledgeable about their coaches. He seemed very confident I could do what I’m trying to do. He said there is no problem driving the coaches a short distance with the bags lowered, “they do it at RV dealers all the time.” He said holding the manual dump switch would prevent the bags from inflating and doing so was not a problem. He said turning a small amount with the bags dumped was also doable. I only need to turn the wheel about an inch or so to get the nose of the coach just past some stairs. I do understand he works for Newmar and would like me to buy one of their coaches, but he didn’t strike me as “sales’ee.) The second thing is I have experience moving my current RV in and out of the garage, and it’s only 1 inch shorter then the Newmar is. When the current RV is in the garage it looks so tight that people who see it for the first time often say some version of “oh my god how did you get that in here, it’s crazy.” The fact is it’s a zero sum game, the RV either fits or it doesn’t, it does not matter how tight it is. I’ve driven our current RV in and out of the garage dozens of times without a scratch.

So,,,,,, I’m stubborn and want to make this work. I think I’ll go to our local Newmar dealer and have them let me drive a unit with the bags dumped to experience what it is like and insure I can steer the small amount I need to position.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #28

That certainly would be the easiest and least costly option. I say go for it.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote