Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #15

Thanks! Let me know how you made out. I swear there is a certain amount of magic in managing tire air pressure!

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
CJGJR, yss I do have a tpms on my Essex, as I mentioned it is integrated jnto the Trip-Tek system. Aside the balance benefits that the crossfires offer the big benefit to me was the convenience. The inside valve stems of my duals were almost impossible to reach without taking off the wheels. So it was replacing valve stems, valve extensions or the crossfires.
I am also looking at the Crossfire system for my Airstream 39' diesel pusher and trying to decide on what pressure level to get. Based on the weight on rear axle and the tire inflation guide the cold tire pressure should be at 90 PSI. So I am thinking about the 100 PSI system to allow for increased PSI when the tires warm up. Would that be correct.

Also the Trip-Tek system looks really interesting in looking at their web site. Where do you view the info. Is there a separate display screen

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

I am also looking at the Crossfire system for my Airstream 39' diesel pusher and trying to decide on what pressure level to get. Based on the weight on rear axle and the tire inflation guide the cold tire pressure should be at 90 PSI. So I am thinking about the 100 PSI system to allow for increased PSI when the tires warm up. Would that be correct.

Also the Trip-Tek system looks really interesting in looking at their web site. Where do you view the info. Is there a separate display screen
First off I am by no means an expert! I believe the proper process is to use the a Crossfire system set to your cold tire pressure, you may want to call the crossfire people to verify.

Trip-tek seems to be a good system, it certainly does display and log data as it advertises. The system was a factory option from, in my case, Newmar. As I bought the coach used I inherited it :-) . Trip-tek has a small control panel of 4 buttons an overlays it's video output over the backup camera feed. So on your backup monitor, when activated, the Trip-Tek will be presented over the camera image. The Trip-Tek image uses a transparent (adjustable) image so you can still see, kind of, your rear camera image.

Steve
Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
srh

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Thanks! Let me know how you made out. I swear there is a certain amount of magic in managing tire air pressure!
Steve: we'll do! Part of the magic is that there is no one right answer to all this. One would have to find the pressure that gives you the peace of mind and the comfort.
I just drove mine home (about 70 miles) and it drove real nicely. Today, I checked the pressures - it is 90 psi in front and around 85 psi in the back. That maybe too low for some, but around these figures is what I have in mind. Take care and have a great day!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #19

If your only 90 lbs in front your weight on the front tires shouldn't be over 13,000lbs. there is a 5000 lb swing between 90 and 130lbs.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #20

If it costs $75/dual for the crossfire,it would be cheaper/ better to take it to a truck tire shop and have the valve stems replaced or relocated. What about balancing with the indicator on one lug? I think they look terrible on a polished wheel. I have chrome hard extensions on mine and haven't had any trouble. I have Pressure Pro sensors on the ends of them
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I personally would not do that. If one goes flat then they both do. I think I would look at putting on a extension for the inside tire.
Or put a TPMS on!
Just my opinion! Good luck
Au Contraire!
The Link Cat's Eye equalizers do NOT allow both of the tires to "go flat" if/when one develops a leak.
If one of the duals develops a leak, the "eye" indicator on my 100psi Cat's Eyes remain closed until the pressure in each tire drops to 95 psi then the eye begins to open.
When the pressure in both tires reaches 90 psi the "eye" will be fully open.... and the built in check valve automatically prevents any more air from escaping from the non-leaking tire.
See: Link Cat's EyeŽ - Innovative Products for the Transporation Industry
I've used a set with the braid cover hoses for 11 years, (92,000 miles) with no problems.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #22

CJGJR around here removing, unmounting, changing valve stems, remounting and balancing would cost more than $150 but be that as it may if you don't like the look, that's fine but hardly relevant to the question.

Will the wheel balance be affected? Probably not. The valve head being so close to the center of rotation of a wheel with the mass of these tires would not have a significant effect. I haven't done the math but logically I think I am ok with the assumption. I will continue to watch my tires for uneven wear. I haven't noticed any vibration.

I have read many of your past posts and have significant respect for your opinions, but in this case it seems to be more about asthetics and to that end beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Respectfully-Steve
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
srh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGJR View Post
If your only 90 lbs in front your weight on the front tires shouldn't be over 13,000lbs. there is a 5000 lb swing between 90 and 130lbs.
CJGJR: Truthfully, I'm confused! Where did "130lbs" came into the conversation?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #24

130 lbs is the wheel and tire max pressure when cold and at that pressure,the tire will hold 9090 lbs of weight. At 90 lbs in tire you can put only 6670 on them. I'll almost bet you hav at least 7000 lbs on each tire. That's why Newmar went fronm 16,000 lb fronts to 20,000lb fronts and bigger tire that will hold over 10,000 lbs each. Roll your front window down and listen when you go around a corner and your tires will start talking to you. Even at 120 lbs in my fronts, they are generating a lot of heat. They grow 3 times as much as the backs. You can't just go for the best ride. 85lbs is the minimum you can run.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #25

Can you guys SEE that Cat's Eye while going down the road? What happens if the inside or outside gets cut and goes flat real fast? You won't know until it takes out the bottom of the coach, unless you have a TPMS. I would use both if i was going the equalizer system. Just be safe. Nothing worse than a blown tire. I have 6 new Michlens for the rears coming this week for mine. Replaced the fronts last Nov due to alignment. Never had a tire problem and my date codes are 1005. Looks like new, not a crack on any of them. 44,000 miles, but not worth taking a chance. Probably end up blowing a new one. FMCA is the real deal on 315's.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #26

CJGJR, totally agree with having a tpms, that should be the first priority. Using Crossfires/Catseye adds convenience (single air point) and a visual indicator when you do your coach walk around as well as the benefits of air balancing.

For me it was a great accessory to help enhance my ability to maintain tire safety, was it absolutely necessary? No. Did it make it easier for me to check tire pressure even if the coach is parked? You bet!

Safe travels-Steve
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
srh

I just found out that there is a scale at our local farm and garden post and took my coach to be weight: Wit full tank of gas, fresh water tank half full, LP tank 3/4 full, grey and black tanks are empty:
Front axle: 14,640 lbs
Drive axle: 18,100 lbs
Tag axle: 7,700 lbs

Total coach weight: 40,520 lbs - about 40 lbs different from adding up all the 3 axle weights

I have Michelins XZA2 315/80R/22.5 tires, and here is what I'm thinking of setting my tire pressures:
Front: 110 psi - 7,950 lbs per Michelin chart
Duals, and tag: 90 psi

I would love to hear your thoughts, if you care to share!!

Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions

Regards to all!!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You folks are hauling a lot more weight than me (I'm at 15,000lbs total), but I've had the crossfire for 3 years now and love it. I also have a TST TPMS on the crossfire (one sensor monitors both tires with the crossfire - so 4 sensors monitor all tires).
One thing to think about, I choose to have my crossfire set a few psi above my cold tire setting (I put on 80PSI crossfires and run 78PSI cold tires). This works well. Morning cold check of the crossfire shows a little low, but when traveling and the tires warm up the crossfire is slightly red (= tire psi increase when tires are hot).
Once again, I love my crossfire with TPMS - it has made pre-trip tire check and airing easy.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote