RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
You folks are hauling a lot more weight than me (I'm at 15,000lbs total), but I've had the crossfire for 3 years now and love it. I also have a TST TPMS on the crossfire (one sensor monitors both tires with the crossfire - so 4 sensors monitor all tires).
One thing to think about, I choose to have my crossfire set a few psi above my cold tire setting (I put on 80PSI crossfires and run 78PSI cold tires). This works well. Morning cold check of the crossfire shows a little low, but when traveling and the tires warm up the crossfire is slightly red (= tire psi increase when tires are hot).
Once again, I love my crossfire with TPMS - it has made pre-trip tire check and airing easy.
Tom: I only wish that were true. The weights I wrote are just the coach, not much of personal belongings nor other passengers. Keep in mind, I'm talking about an 05 Essex.
I, too, have TPMS (TireTracker), and definitely intend to purchase a crossfire. Thanks for your feedback!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Au Contraire!
The Link Cat's Eye equalizers do NOT allow both of the tires to "go flat" if/when one develops a leak.
If one of the duals develops a leak, the "eye" indicator on my 100psi Cat's Eyes remain closed until the pressure in each tire drops to 95 psi then the eye begins to open.
When the pressure in both tires reaches 90 psi the "eye" will be fully open.... and the built in check valve automatically prevents any more air from escaping from the non-leaking tire.
See: Link Cat's EyeŽ - Innovative Products for the Transporation Industry
I've used a set with the braid cover hoses for 11 years, (92,000 miles) with no problems.
Mel
'96 Safari
Look at post #5!

hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Look at post #5!
Saw it!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #32
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Update

I just received the pair of CrossFire (90 psi) for my 05 Essex. When I tried to install them, I can't get the lug nut (33 mm) loose. I used 1/2" 16" ratchet and it wouldn't budge. I would have to see someone in an auto shop to help me with it.
Regards to all!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #33

They are pretty heavily torqued, I too used a wheel shop to help me. In my case I needed to have a wheel removed because the po had a short stem installed on an inside wheel. It was impossible to get to any other way.

Hope the crossfires serve you well
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
They are pretty heavily torqued, I too used a wheel shop to help me. In my case I needed to have a wheel removed because the po had a short stem installed on an inside wheel. It was impossible to get to any other way.

Hope the crossfires serve you well
I'm afraid I may have to have one or more of my wheels removed too. I know the stem on one of the inner wheels does not have a cap as there is no room, I suppose, to screw one on. The previous owner, in my case, did not pay attention to these things as he had a fleet of trucks that were being serviced. They also did his coach.
Thanks for all your helpful write-ups!

Regards,
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #35

Crossfire PSI setting

I am about to order the Crossfire dual tire pressure system for my 2005 Airstream 386 XL, Freightliner chassis. I have Michelin 275/70R 22.5 tires and based on my weight the rears should have 90 PSI cold tire pressure. Should I go with the 90 psi setting unit or should I go with the 95 psi setting to allow for increased pressure when driving.

I have read the problems on installing the Crossfire and currently the valve stems for both tires are easy to get and are mounted on the outer rim as shown below. If I can just just connect to the two valve stems where would I attached the crossfire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-tire.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	41268

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #36

Adhon, your lucky that both valve stems are accessible! You would mount the crossfire (using the bracket they provide) to one of the wheel studs. As far as which pressure to get? I would strongly suggest you call the cross fire folks and ask them. In fact point what they tell you, I am sure many of us would like to know.

Take care and safe travels-Steve
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Adhon, You would mount the crossfire (using the bracket they provide) to one of the wheel studs.
Adonh
.........OR directly to the side if the "top-hats", (without the brackets for a cleaner look).
Mel
'96 Safari, Cat's Eye equalizers
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #38
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I am about to order the Crossfire dual tire pressure system for my 2005 Airstream 386 XL, Freightliner chassis. I have Michelin 275/70R 22.5 tires and based on my weight the rears should have 90 PSI cold tire pressure. Should I go with the 90 psi setting unit or should I go with the 95 psi setting to allow for increased pressure when driving.

I have read the problems on installing the Crossfire and currently the valve stems for both tires are easy to get and are mounted on the outer rim as shown below. If I can just just connect to the two valve stems where would I attached the crossfire.

Attachment 41268

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
It is my understanding that all you need to worry is Cold air pressure - I do not think you need to make any other provisions.
Your valve stems are easily accessible, unlike mine, so installing wouldn't be that big a problem, ONLY if you can get the lug nuts loose. I had to take mine to tire shop, actually they loosen all the lug nuts to move the outer tire forward so they could get to the valve stem. They were very reasonable charged me only $50. Also, on my 315/80R/22.5 tires they had to bend the bracket some so I can get to valve stem easily. I think there is room enough so I can put my Tire Track TPMS.

Good luck with your install!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Adhon, your lucky that both valve stems are accessible! You would mount the crossfire (using the bracket they provide) to one of the wheel studs. As far as which pressure to get? I would strongly suggest you call the cross fire folks and ask them. In fact point what they tell you, I am sure many of us would like to know.

I spoke to a cross fire rep and based on my 175/70R 22.5 tires and weight that calls for 90 PSI on the rear duels he suggested to go with the 90 PSI setting. He said I did not need to account for the increase of PSI while on the road. So I will go with the 90 PSI setting.

A question for Mel on installing the cross fire, .........OR directly to the side of the "top-hats", (without the brackets for a cleaner look). How did you attach to the "top hat" I assume that is the hub cover.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #40

Thanks for t the update
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

A question for Mel on installing the cross fire, .........OR directly to the side of the "top-hats", (without the brackets for a cleaner look). How did you attach to the "top hat" I assume that is the hub cover.
adonh
You're correct, top hat = hub cover.
I removed the hub covers, drilled a hole in the side of each, put the mounting bolts of the of the gauges through the holes, (the bolts that normally go through a bracket), and secured both with a washer, a lock washer, a nut and LocTite).
That made it a DIY project, (no need to remove my lug nuts).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
adonh
You're correct, top hat = hub cover.
I removed the hub covers, drilled a hole in the side of each, put the mounting bolts of the of the gauges through the holes, (the bolts that normally go through a bracket), and secured both with a washer, a lock washer, a nut and LocTite).
That made it a DIY project, (no need to remove my lug nuts).
Mel
'96 Safari
That sounds like a very good way to attache the bracket. Now, I just need to find a way to remove the Freightliner hub cover. From what I understand the "Freightliner" emblem in the center of the rear chrome hub cover is actually a large retaining nut for the hub cover itself. A special wrench is needed to fit on the emblem and remove it without scaring or scratching the chrome cover. I think I can get this from Freightliner. I will check. Thanks again.