Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Cross Fire or Cat's Eye Recommendaton

I'm thinking about getting either Cross Fire or Cat's Eye pressure equalizer for my 05 Essex dual-lies. This is mainly because the valves are so awkwardly arranged making it almost impossible to check the air pressure. I'm not planning on pulling any heavy trailer as my toad is less than 4,000 lbs. Would you recommend an 85 psi, or 90 psi, or something else? Your input is very much appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

I personally would not do that. If one goes flat then they both do. I think I would look at putting on a extension for the inside tire.
Or put a TPMS on!
Just my opinion! Good luck
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I personally would not do that. If one goes flat then they both do. I think I would look at putting on a extension for the inside tire.
Or put a TPMS on!
Just my opinion! Good luck
NOT true!! I have cats eyes on 7 trucks and 9 trailers. If one tire goes flat it does not bleed the other one down.
Chow5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
NOT true!! I have cats eyes on 7 trucks and 9 trailers. If one tire goes flat it does not bleed the other one down.
That is what the instructions say! Thanks, both, for chiming in!

Regards,
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
You are correct, I stand corrected.
And I did see that the Cas Eye does monitor psi but you have to do a visual check.
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #6

I put cross fires on my 08 Essex for the exact reason you mentioned. I have only had them on for 6 weeks but have logged about 3k miles. So far they are absolutely great. I purchased the 95 psi version but found 100 psi handles better. So the guage is slightly offset from 'zero' but that's OK it stills gives me a great physical cue and, best of all, a single fill point. I have a Trip Tek tpms and I think having both systems is ideal.

I read quite a bit of pro/con discussion about the system when I was researching the devices, most negative comments were, unfortunately, from ill-informed posters but that is OK. The dealer I purchased from told me they sell over 100 sets a month mostly to long haul truckers most often for their trailers. To me that was a pretty good endorsement.

Best of luck Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I put cross fires on my 08 Essex for the exact reason you mentioned. I have only had them on for 6 weeks but have logged about 3k miles. So far they are absolutely great. I purchased the 95 psi version but found 100 psi handles better. So the guage is slightly offset from 'zero' but that's OK it stills gives me a great physical cue and, best of all, a single fill point. I have a Trip Tek tpms and I think having both systems is ideal.

I read quite a bit of pro/con discussion about the system when I was researching the devices, most negative comments were, unfortunately, from ill-informed posters but that is OK. The dealer I purchased from told me they sell over 100 sets a month mostly to long haul truckers most often for their trailers. To me that was a pretty good endorsement.

Best of luck Steve
Thank you very much, Steve! This is exactly what I was looking for! I did not know you could change the offset? It appears that the valve stems on almost all the tires on my coach were put on by some morons who could care less about what happened after they put the tires on. It is so frustrating to see carelessness like this. Thanks again and enjoy your 08 Essex!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Better off getting a TPMS system. I haven't had to touch my tires except maybe once a year to top them off. Inside dually stem sticks out 180 degrees from outside dually. Just plug in TPMS and check the pressure,you don't need a gage. I thought all '08 Essex's came with a TPMS. Getting 6 new Michelin's for the rears this week through FMCA.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGJR View Post
Better off getting a TPMS system. I haven't had to touch my tires except maybe once a year to top them off. Inside dually stem sticks out 180 degrees from outside dually. Just plug in TPMS and check the pressure,you don't need a gage. I thought all '08 Essex's came with a TPMS. Getting 6 new Michelin's for the rears this week through FMCA.
CJGJR, yss I do have a tpms on my Essex, as I mentioned it is integrated jnto the Trip-Tek system. Aside the balance benefits that the crossfires offer the big benefit to me was the convenience. The inside valve stems of my duals were almost impossible to reach without taking off the wheels. So it was replacing valve stems, valve extensions or the crossfires.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Best of luck Steve
Steve: I have another question - why do you think you should have had 100 psi instead of 95? Do you pull a big trailer? I was thinking about getting either 85 or 90. Now you have me thinking! Thank you very much!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Based on weighing my coach the recommended pressure from the Michelin charts was 90, but when I had the coach weighed it was not fully loaded (but pretty close). I estimated the weight I would be adding and that got me to close to 95. The previous owner had the pressure at 110. When I reduced the pressure to 95 the coach seemed to drive with a little more sway. Sorry I cannot be more scientific, it just felt like it handled softer. When I inflated to 100 the coach seemed to handle better.

Again sorry for not being more analytic but for me it had a lot to do with how the coach handled. I started with recommended pressure then adjusted based on personal preferences. Keeping, of course, to reasonable variances.

Have fun!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Based on weighing my coach the recommended pressure from the Michelin charts was 90, but when I had the coach weighed it was not fully loaded (but pretty close). I estimated the weight I would be adding and that got me to close to 95. The previous owner had the pressure at 110. When I reduced the pressure to 95 the coach seemed to drive with a little more sway. Sorry I cannot be more scientific, it just felt like it handled softer. When I inflated to 100 the coach seemed to handle better.

Again sorry for not being more analytic but for me it had a lot to do with how the coach handled. I started with recommended pressure then adjusted based on personal preferences. Keeping, of course, to reasonable variances.

Have fun!
Steve: What do you have the front pressure at? Also, do you have the XZA2 315/80R/22.5 tires?
Regards,
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #13

Yes on the tires (size and make) I have my front tires at around 103. As or summer heat settles in (on Houston) my cold inflation pressure may change a bit.

Sorry I am not an authority on pressure, there are much more learned members on this forum, these are tire pressures that seem to work for me and appear to be in a safe range. I did try the front tires at 110# but the coach was very touchy at that pressure.

Best-Steve
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, Steve! Stay cool in Texas. All the best to you too!!