RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cummins/Spartan Svc.?

G'morning All:

Just scheduled some coach work for June up in Nappanee. Found out the Cummins/Spartan part of service won't be available since tech is out on medical leave for 20 weeks. So....we'd like to do the engine/chassi stuff either before or following our visit to Newmar.

Many here have commented very favorably about the Cummins/Spartan service up in Michigan (Charlotte area I think ???) and since we'd like to have a thorough inspection and servicing of both the engine and chassi, how have you guys accessed this and where or who do you contact.

Does this require scheduling at two different service centers (Spartan and Cummins)?? I know Spartan is in Charlotte, but do they also perform the Cummins diesel service??

Thanks.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe Spartan will do some Cummins service, but just call them.

I've been there several times and they are great to work with.

I don't believe they do any generator service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chickadee,
I'm not as pleased as others are with Spartan factory service. I quit going there because, over the past few years they come up with every way possible to squeeze more money out of the customer. Their inside sales manager seems very skilled at this.

However, all is not lost. Consider trying this service company:

Cummins Bridgeway
616-281-2211
Grand Rapids, Michigan

I have been going to this facility for the last 3 years. They do excellent work and on time. Call for their address. They moved to a new facility since I was there last fall.

What I do is when Newmar service is about to wrap up I call for an appointment at Bridgeway. If it will be a couple of days, then I just camp over in Shipshewana or some other area where the wife has something to do. From the Nappanee, Grand Rapids is due North about 100 miles. Camping World is nearby and there are other things to do in the area. Bridgeway had electric hookups for 2 coaches at their old location. When you call, ask them to reserve a spot for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #4

I have had excellent service at Spartan in Charlotte, MI since 2000. They have something like a 44-point inspection and they found 7 small problems and corrected them. They will do Cummins engine and Onan generator service (fluids and filters).

Another excellent service facility near Newmar is Cummins Coach Care in Elkhart. They will do work on your chassis, engine and generator. They have hookups for their service customers.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS ALL: Great help and suggestions.

Steve
Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I too have had excellent service at Spartan in Charlotte, MI. Was there last summer with power steering issues. They worked all day and did not charge me even thought I was out of warranty. If I was closer I would use them more. They did not try to nickel and dime me. They also have about 15 spots with 50 amp power and water .
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I too have had excellent service at Spartan in Charlotte, MI. Was there last summer with power steering issues. They worked all day and did not charge me even thought I was out of warranty. If I was closer I would use them more. They did not try to nickel and dime me. They also have about 15 spots with 50 amp power and water .
We use Spartan factory service as well. We'll be there in a couple weeks for annual maintenance.

One clarification - the parking spots have electric, but no water. There's water available at the customer lounge building, if you park in front of it. The nearest dump station is at the local fairgrounds.

joe
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #8

Thumbs up for Spartan. Their sevice is tops!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS AGAIN...ALL:
Ya know....we're probably goofy , BUT...we "feel" better having coach/chassi/engine service done by the places that actually built the component. I KNOW, I KNOW, it kinda dumb, but coach work at Nappanee just feels better and gets done correctly, than, say at some Newmar "Authorized" place elsewhere. (Besides.....we gotta stock up on popcorn and beef sticks up in Shipshewana)!! We kinda feel the same about engine (Cummins) service even though we've really liked svc. at Rocky Mtn. Cummins (Denver) or Cummins in Sioux Falls, SD., etc. but think we'll try out Charlotte Spartan place this trip.

Thanks again.

Steve & Lynette
Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #10

Steve, I not only get Newmar/Spartan for any repair work, but I only use Spartan factory service for oil changes etc. They know where every grease fitting is and service it. Do third party? Maybe or maybe not.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Lug Nut:

Makes sense. Agree. THANKS

Steve
Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Factory Service ??

Just toooooooo many miles from Chilliwack to Nappanee, but if we ever come close, we'll stop by the factory for some 'House' service. It does not hurt for them to see the 2901 after a few years.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #13

Hi Chickadee! We have used Spartan for the past 3 coaches we have owned. It does not get any better then the Spartan factory. They are not overly pricey. Make sure among other things they do ride height and weigh your coach. They can do all of your engine services. I do not use them for generator service because they will not change the generator fuel filter (they claim they had to many problems?) We have our Genset serviced by Cummins (I belive the Elkhart location, let me know if you need me to look up the number) while the coach is sitting in Highline Service. They are at Newmar almost every day and will service you while Newmar is working on it. We have had it done twice. They will change the oil and all filters. We also had them replace the blowbye breather on the engine (I hope I said that correct) as Spartan does not stock it. We also had them check the engine codes for any updates. Great Service & very fair price. I enjoyed the fact that Newmar allows them to do those services while the coach is in Highline. Paul
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, Paul (Jetsmania):

Thanks for reminder and suggestion about genset svc. You're not talking about the Cummins tech assigned to the Highliner Shop are you? This used to a tech named Randy, but there's a new fella now who unfortunately is OUT for 20 weeks on medical leave.

If this genset service is out of Elkart or somewhere, do I arrange this through Phil Stilly at Highliner Svc., OR where or how is such genset svc. arranged???

Thanks for suggestion.

Steve