RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #1

Ok we looked at a Newmar today and it has a plaque above the door that says "This coach custom built for xxxxxxxx" - Question does this plaque mean it was all custom design or just a factory order ?

They tell me "there is no floor plan number for this unit"

wswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #2

Ok we looked at a Newmar today and it has a plaque above the door that says "This coach custom built for xxxxxxxx" - Question does this plaque mean it was all custom design or just a factory order ?

They tell me "there is no floor plan number for this unit"

Old 07-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Wswenson, first, welcome to iRV2.

Come back and visit us often.

Newmar does do custom floorplans from time to time.

I know they modify existing floorplans, but I don't think they will start from scratch, designing one to your specs.

Since you were told there is no floorplan for that unit, it sounds like a one of a kind modification of an existing floorplan.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"This coach custom built </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Welcome to IRV2 What model coach was it (Essex, Mountain Aire, etc) ?? Paul
Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #5

Dutch Star 38' 2004
Old 07-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #6

This DS had a side isle, queen bed slide (drivers side), Full tub/shower combo in a private bath. Front had slide with couch/dinnette. Wash/Dryer was in front of the bathroom in the galley area. Didn't see any model numbers on the outside of the coach. Was a very clean coach and ready to go. The listed CCC was an impressive 9500 lbs. (not sure I would believe it until it was wieghed)
Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #7

That is a long running floorplan, same as my 2000
Dutch Star, which was called a 3862 at that time.
It might be called a 3802 or 3807 in 2004, something like that.

Newmar does not make one off coaches or floorplans and defintely not at the Dutch Star level.

The plaque on the door was probably a dealer add on. CCC sounds a bit high unless there aren't
many options on the coach.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 07-14-2007, 03:06 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably a "Dealer item", but the current dealer was not sure. It is a clean unit with only one dent in the side panels. We need to go back to look some more but this unit certainly fits our needs.... Just won't tell the dealer that...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
First many Newmars are not built until a customer orders one. I consider that my coach was custom built just for us. We went to the factory and saw the coach being built with what we wanted in it, not what the dealers order was.
That maybe why the sign is there.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by read & learn:
First many Newmars are not built until a customer orders one. I consider that my coach was custom built just for us. We went to the factory and saw the coach being built with what we wanted in it, not what the dealers order was.
That maybe why the sign is there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true. Newmar doesn't build stock coaches, there must be an order in hand for every unit produced.

Every coach for dealer stock has to be ordered
line item for line item, just like a customer would. I know, I had to fill out over one hundred orders and each model used to have multiple pages when I was doing the ordering at
a top five Newmar dealer and I ordered my coach
to my specs, including bringing in interior fabrics and leather color from a Kountry Star.

Plus, Newmar does specials that other manufacturers don't, I would just give them drawings. But you can't come up with
your own floorplan or number of slides, etc.

Now if you order a Tiffin and want anything out
of the ordinary, you're out of luck.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #11

I would agree with Jeff. I'm getting ready to take delivery of my 4th Newmar. 2003 DS,4005
2004 4301 MADP, 2006 MADP 4304 and 2008 MADP 4521 next week. On each build Newmar gave me the ability to order more specials. The 2008 has many specials most everyone that I asked for was approved. Some like Air leveling and pantagraph doors were denied. They also offered custom colors as long as 2008 graghics were used.I looked at a 2006 Tiffin 42ft Bus and asked about a frig-freezer underneath and was told they could not do it. I did have some troubles with the 2006 the biggest being the Hydro-Hot hose bursting 2 times causing shorting of 2 electrical systems but after it got to the factory for service they straighten everything out and last 5 trips I've had no issues. My dealer is keeping the 2008 coach for a good 2 weeks to go over all the systems for me just to make sure I do not have the same experiences with this one. There is 1 recall on the Tag bearings and seals to fix Tuesday but he says everything else is a go. Overall in MHO Newmar makes a quality product compared to the others I've seen. Can't wait to see it.
Carol & Daryl
Old 07-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #12

Hi Carol & Daryl! Congrats on the new coach. When you bring it down to the shore call me. Mack & Manco's Pizza is on me. Can't wait to see how it came out. Paul
Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Enjoy that pizza!

My Kobe steak sure was good!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #14

Hi Paul,
Thanks for all your help with our decision to go with 2008 MADP instead of 2007 EXDP. In the end I think we made the right one. Mack & Manco's Pizza is the Kobe Steak of Pizza. We will take you up on that!
Thanks,Daryl