Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy Custom paint job - $100 bill on side of coach

Twice now I've been approached when stopped for money. Once on the way back from Newmar with my new ride, 2nd time on my 3rd trip (yesterday). Does my RV say ATM on it somewhere?

Scary! Fortunately both times were respectful but good grief!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #2

Panhandlers?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Panhandlers?
No, one approached me in parking lot for fast food. Yesterday I was gassing up and someone came up to me, in scrubs, age 62, out of work, shows me his badge from work, just weird. But again, respectful, just catches me off guard. I'm going to start locking my coach even when getting out to pump gas. Never know what I'll find in the back some day. Thank you NEWMAR for the keypad entry!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Community Administrator

We have been approached a few times. Usually with a story that they need money for gas or a repair. We always lock the doors when fueling.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We have been approached a few times. Usually with a story that they need money for gas or a repair. We always lock the doors when fueling.
Exactly! The first one was he was on empty, called the police and they wouldn't help, etc. etc. Yesterday was similar.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I run into this all the time. I don't think it matters what you drive. I rarely, if ever give money. If you need gas, I'll fill your gas can, If your hungry, I'll buy you a sandwich. If you need a job, I'll give you a job application.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I travel a bit for work and have been approached twice by the same gentleman at the same rest area in Northern KY. He says he is traveling from Ohio to where ever and forgot his wallet. His car is nearly empty of gas and he just needs a few bucks so he can go somewhere and have money wired to him. This guy is near my age so mid 60's and looks decent enough, but seeing him the second time made it clear to me he was pan handling.

I seldom carry cash so I am honest when I tell them I have no cash, although I did have someone ask if I would use my credit card to put gas in their car at a gas station.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

I am a sucker dipped in guilt, so I usually cough up a few bucks.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

Early on, when fueling at truck stops I noticed most of the truckers locking their cabs when fueling. I started doing that as well.

Throughout the year I donate money to the non profits of my choice. I rarely, if ever, hand money to a pan handler. I do put money into the donation box of a street entertainer if I have taken the time to enjoy their performance. They at least are earning something for services rendered. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I am a sucker dipped in guilt, so I usually cough up a few bucks.
Consider sir that you make it harder for the rest of us to do the right thing.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are of pandemic proportions.

Look 'em eye to eye, raise your voice a tad, give up a "NO", just as you would a cur dog.

The person will always back off, after all, he/she can't afford a run-in for vagrancy -- puts a hurt on their money mooching enterprise.

BTW, If you feel uncomfortable with confrontation, place one of these

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Red-Pep...E81ZDNZRNWXANG

in your pocket, after a few practice sprays, fondle the container in your pocket when you fuel the coach.
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of those "panhandlers" are making $60,000 - $100,000 a year, tax free! Some may actually need the money, they just don't get it from me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #12

I volunteer for a charity group called St. Vincent de Paul. Our group will help people who need anything. And I do mean anything. We do have a dollar limit, however, we will engage other local charities to help if the bill is too big.

I man a hotline 6 days a week (I do this every 4 weeks) and I take calls for a two county area in Georgia. We get lots of calls from people who stay at the motels on I-85 (live there really) and claim to need food, gas and another 2 nights "rent" at the motel.

If they are in our computer system I JSN. (Just Say No) if we haven't helped them I interview them and put them in our database for the future. Many are on drugs and can't/won't work so giving them another night at Motel 6 isn't going to help them not be homeless.

You can tell any homeless person or beggar to call St. Vincent de Paul locally (we're national) and if we can't help them we will try to give them resources to help them.
yogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
No, one approached me in parking lot for fast food. Yesterday I was gassing up and someone came up to me, in scrubs, age 62, out of work, shows me his badge from work, just weird. But again, respectful, just catches me off guard. I'm going to start locking my coach even when getting out to pump gas. Never know what I'll find in the back some day. Thank you NEWMAR for the keypad entry!
Take your keys and use the deadbolt ... don't count on the keypad...they WILL lock you out at the worst possible time.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #14
Community Administrator

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Take your keys and use the deadbolt ... don't count on the keypad...they WILL lock you out at the worst possible time.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint