Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Customer Satisfaction of Essex and King Aire DP motohomes

Several of you in this forum have responded to my Newmar specific questions with really very valuable insight. I am specifically interesetd in the Essex and King Aire products. In particular I really like the King Aire rear bath, full wall slide #4584 floor plan. So my question to actual owners of the Essex and King Aire lines or even those that are very familiar with these coaches............what are the things that you would like to see changed on the new 2013 model lines? Is it a design related issue, a functional problem, quality issue, would you like to see more or different features? I welcome your comments as always!
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Well, what I'd like to see is the Silverleaf Glass Dash system in the KGDB. Glass Dash | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

It would really help differentiate the models, because most of the differences (K2 vs K3) are not very obvious. But I don't know what it really costs, and I don't think Newmar has enough time/experience with Silverleaf to do it yet. But I can hope.

We're also not real fond of the new interior design in the KGDB - we prefer the more contemporary design from the earlier model years. The more Art Deco look just isn't us. But that won't stop us from getting one, though we might ask them to change out the cabinet handles and such.

We're going back and forth between the 4582 and the 4584 right now. We'd like the rear bath, but not sure we can deal with the reduced storage space you get with it. Decisions, decisions...

joe
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar needs to find another supplier for the windows. Hehr windows are prone to moisture leaks (after the warranty is out). I also would like to see more automation and a wireless remote to handle the coach electronics. It seems Newmar is behind the technology curve of motor homes. But wait they have 3D flat screens!
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I also would like to see more automation and a wireless remote to handle the coach electronics. It seems Newmar is behind the technology curve of motor homes.
You mean the Silverleaf controlled systems? Is there such a thing? What do the custom build companies use?

joe
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Well the King Aire has just changed the front cap design, however the Essex has not. Both had the inverted mirror mount prior to the King Aire change. The Essex still has them at this time.
I would definately want lower mounted mirrors with through the windshield view on both. There are a number of reasons supporting this issue.
The DEF fill should be located on the driver side, not the passenger side. This will aid in making it far less hassle than it is already.
LED lighting inside and out as much as possible.

Other than that, either the Essex or the King Aire are a superior choice. Good luck

Peter
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #6

In my view Newmar is more about evolution than revolution, and Silverleaf falls into the latter category. What I would like to see is: 1. Electronics like Silverleaf which can be controlled remotely; 2. Sewer/water system which do not involve a chiropractor (i.e. have the system come out with the slide); 3. No exhaust on passenger side (including water heater and dryer vent); 4. Two year warrantee (again).
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Peter - the photos on the website for the 2012 Essex show the mirrors are low mounted. Am I missing something?

Bob - the Oasis exhaust is only on the passenger slide on the full-wall models, because it can't come out under the slide. I guess they could try to route it backwards, but then it would have to go all the way past the axles. That could be really tricky.

I agree on the electronics. If it had some sort of external interface, I'd be willing to write a proof of concept iOS app for them. Anyone have any contacts at Silverleaf to investigate that?

joe
Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

The mirrors gave a reflexion when they moved them to the top and lots of complaints,so they moved them back down.

I wish the King Aire had the Essex's ceiling.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I wish the King Aire had the Essex's ceiling.
Really? The design or the materials? I much prefer the rectangular pattern in the King Aire to the curves in the Essex. To each their own. If you were buying a new KGDB, you could probably get the Essex ceiling installed.

And you're right, I really don't care for the high mirrors on our '08.

joe
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #10

Joe, You are correct, I stand corrected. The Essex 2012 does have lower mounted mirrors. Thank the designs heaven, I hope they fired the guy that ever designed the upper mount.

Perry, There were more issues than the reflection thing.

1) Reflection through the duotherm glass which was impossible to relocate for through windsheild view,
2) Power sun visors and side shades limited as they would block the mirror veiw.
3) Mirror position in line of high wind deflection causing mirrors to blow out.
4) Mirror require a ladder and agile operator to clean or adjust. (Hello, many owners are not quite that)

This was the worst design feature I have ever seen from Newmar. I complained and tried everything to change it prior to delivery. I honestly hope they fired those responsible for such poor foresight. They are lucky that this did not cause an accident that they might be liable for.

But, I love Newmar and their general design. It would concern me if they continued to employ a design team that would approve this error. Hopefully they have not as they have since corrected this in these new designs.

Newmar rocks!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Thanks to all who have posted so far. To me the critical comments really have been minor issues and have been much less than i would have thought. So it appears that i am on the right track on considing a Newmar! One comment i have not heard so far is the lack of a Vorad cruise control system on the 2012 models. I had read other posts where this system was previously offered, but it appears has been discontinued at least in Newmar products. Does anyone know the story on why it is no longer offered?
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
It was briefly offered on early '08 King Aires, and maybe some Essex models. It was discontinued before we placed our '08 order. It's my understanding that there were technical issues with the implementation. I think Newmar may have thought it was too complex for them. As stated previously in this thread, Newmar really does not do cutting edge electronics very well.

joe
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #13

Eaton sold the VORAD system to Bendix on 12/31/08. Gotta wonder why?

Bendix Acquires Eaton's Vorad Collision Warning System | Trailer/Body Builders

Sue
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

LUG_NUT The only thing good about the high mirrors, you didn't bang your head on them.

I like the wood grain around the ceiling on the Essex.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote