RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dash ac/heater fans or overhead fans not working

I am heading to northern Michigan today from Indiana and noticed my dash ac/heater control does not work. The fans don't come on the dash unit nor do the overhead fans work. All other functions on the dash work fine including horn, blinds, step etc. I checked the two fuses that were labeled ac or fans that are in the drivers side electrical compartment but both were ok. These fuses are on open boards that were labeled AC or fans. I then called Newmar Customer Service and spoke to Jeff and he offered no other suggestions beside these two fuses. Any other ideas.

Seems as if the Customer Service people at Newmar were very busy today.

millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you actually pull the fuses out and check them with a VOM meter? They may "look" OK, but in actuality they are burned open or have a high resistance which in either case they need to be replaced. Electrical problems are difficult to trace and checking for voltage and continuity are the only way to find the problem(s).

Since you are having the same problem with 2 different circuits, my guess is that you are going to find the problem in the fuse block. If it were only in one circuit then I would say you would have to chase it from the fuse block through the switches to the fan.

If you do not have a VOM meter and do not want to purchase one, just change both fuses and see what happens, it is a cheap and easy test to see if that fixes it or if you need to chase it further, or pay a chassis mechanic to chase it down for you. An RV dealer will not be bothered to do this and will refuse to work on it.

Good luck

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can access the fans try running a temp ground to ground side of the fans or check grounds if you have a ground buss in compartment.
Everything needs a ground to get back to fused battery side.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try tracing things back and will replace the fuses even though they look good. The last time I used the motorhome was when I had it up to Newmar when they replaced the windshield wiper motor and wiper arm mechanism. I am not sure if the fans worked after that or not since I don't remember using them after picking it up. I will check up front to see if maybe some wires are pulled apart and will also will try what you suggested.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I also noticed the annoying buzzer that sounds when your jacks are down and the ignition switch is turned on is not working also. I am thinking maybe these are part of a plug on the wiring harness that may have come unplugged. I am not sure if they run the wires from the compartment to the dash in groups with plugs but that is what I am going to check now.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fixed it. Found a plug up under the dash that had about 20+ wires going into each side that had come unplugged. All is working now. Thanks for your help.

Tags
dash, fan, heater