Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Dash guage lights turn on and off.

When my engine is running and my headlights are on the guage lights go on and off about every 10 seconds, the light bar is not effected just the gauges, also the dimmer switch does not dim the dash lights when I try to dim, just stays on bright all the time. I'm thinking it may be a bad switch. Anyone else had this problem with the 2017 Dutch Star and what was the fix. The guage lights work find with the key in the on position and engine off but not with the engine running.

Also the headlights are on with the switch off when I release the brakes, is this a safety thing that Freightliner set up to have your headlights on during the day. I will contact Freightliner this week. Thanks for any information on this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had the 2017 4018 and as far as I know this is a Freightliner issue that has never been fixed. They told me to keep the dash lights on bright until they find a fix. I believe other owners have had some upgrade done that still didn't fix the problem. Let us know if you find out differently from FL.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I had the 2017 4018 and as far as I know this is a Freightliner issue that has never been fixed. They told me to keep the dash lights on bright until they find a fix. I believe other owners have had some upgrade done that still didn't fix the problem. Let us know if you find out differently from FL.
Thanks Bill, will update when I find out whats going on.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I just kept the lights turned up all the way. I hardly drive at night so it wasn't really an issue. I try to stay away from dark and rain. I don't see the road that well in either. Funny thing, towards the end of my ownership the trouble seemed to have gone away. You might get lucky too. It must be a wire in the harness somewhere although the switch could be the culprit too. You would think that it's a very simple circuit to figure out. Quite sure you can find some other threads on the issue in this forum.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
There is a fix. Freightliner has to "flash" the light bar in the dash. The only place that is doing the flash is the service center in Gaffney, SC
Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for that info rg. Where did you find that out?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Bill,

I was attending Camp Freightliner the first of August and had mine completed. It was one of the first things that the instructor told us so we could schedule them to flash the bar while we were there.

One workaround that I did was turn the headlights on before ignition and the problem did not occur

Tags
dash, light, lights