Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dash mounted accesories help

I am trying to figure out the best way to mount accessories on the drivers side of the dash area. It seems like there are very few mounts for GPS, Cell Phone and that kid of thing. I like to keep it below eye level but not as far down as where the odometer, and radio is mounted.

The windshield on the Class A is way to faraway to mount on that and the window on the side is great but it will interfere with opening the window or removal of the screen

And now the big problem. I don't want to drill holes or glue on the dash. I was thinking of something like a bean bag or dash cover. I have the beanbag mount for my GPS but as I drive it starts to slowly slide down to the winshield where I can t reach it.

Thanks for any suggestions or photos.
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

More and more , states and provinces are passing " distracted driving laws " with regard to driver's cell phone use and some including GPS programming while in motion . I'm working on a swivel mount , that will allow the GPS to be slid over for co-pilot to do the programming . It'll probably have to have it's own movable stand/console, on the floor near the center of the dash. Cell phone is already mounted next to passenger seat for DW's use only.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Curiousity-

Solutions somewhat dependent on the make, model and year of your coach (and whether it's diesel or gas).

After you reply with that info, you may want to add it to your signature, so it ends up on each post. Instructions are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought a new GPS that includes a dash camera. I mounted the old one on the drivers window, but that won't allow the dash camera on the new one to properly see out the windshield. Probably going to use the old beanbag I have in the towed for now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

What's wrong with the glue on disks? I have 3 on my dash for various things and they can be removed if you ever need to, but I don't ever see the need to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	169543  
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
You can use a round disk and attach it with heavy duty VELCRO.
If you need to remove it, warm it up, peel it off, then use GOO GONE.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
3M double sided tape. Works great and comes up without damage if you don't need it anymore.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

I have GPS mounted on driver side window. More accessible and easier to see. Dashcam located low on front window, viewable but not accessible while moving (good thing).
My issue is with ONLY ONE 12VDC ACCESSORIES PORT!
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

Don't sweat "sticking" things to the dash. I have already moved my TPS monitor once and it removed with no issue what so ever. I also mounted my laptop with Velcro knowing some day a change might be made. However no need to have my phone nearby as mine sync's to the coach dash radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049 (2).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	169551  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I mounted my 9 inch extra monitor to the dash with magnets. The padding is not too thick, and under it is steel, so it sticks very well. Pick up some of the 1/2 or 3/4 inch diam. high power magnets and glue them to the bottom of your base. You will be surprised how well they stay in place. You can move them around to meet your needs also.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for the ideas. May get a dash cover and than attach what I need to that. With her being so new I just can't bring myself to attaching things to the RV. I had bad experience with the removable sticky stuff leaving marks in the past but maybe they have improved since.

Has anyone used the Command strips on RV walls and doors. Does it tear the wallpaper when you do remove it?
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel the same way about adhesives or drilling holes in the dash etc...

I found a holder for my iPhone on Amazon that has a heavy duty squeeze type clamp. No drilling, screws, adhesives, tapes or velcro. I clamped it to the side of the cubby opening in the lower part of the dash in my LADP. It has a goose neck that holds my phone perfectly facing me within reach and removes by simply squeezing the clamp. I haven't needed to remove it yet and it stays put. My phone syncs by bluetooth to the radio, but I'm an old school cat I guess and just like to have it in sight. I also have a removable mount (no screws etc.) for the Blue Ox brake remote for my toad.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck on your quest...I get it, I've been there.
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
You can use a round disk and attach it with heavy duty VELCRO.
If you need to remove it, warm it up, peel it off, then use GOO GONE.
Siggy
Be very careful with the goo gone. I used it on my dash and it "melted" the dash. It left a smooth spot where the dash was textured. A much better solution is WD40. It cleans up glue without the harsh effect.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Thanks for the ideas. May get a dash cover and than attach what I need to that. With her being so new I just can't bring myself to attaching things to the RV. I had bad experience with the removable sticky stuff leaving marks in the past but maybe they have improved since.

Has anyone used the Command strips on RV walls and doors. Does it tear the wallpaper when you do remove it?
Command strips are great. I have several new hooks and have removed them with no marks. Just try one in an out of the way spot like inside a cupboard. They will hold only as much as the package says though.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash