Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Dead Batteries

Trying to understand why my house batteries were discharged.

I Picked up the coach from storage today and found the house bank completely discharged. Something like 8.4 volts.

The batteries were left fully charged a couple of weeks ago. The house bank was shut off at the 12v disconnect panel switch.

Wondering what loads are present after the 12V disconnect is engaged?

Headed south in the morning.

Best of the holidays to everyone
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many parasitic loads that bypass the battery isolation switch. LP detector, perhaps thermostat, radio presets and clock, etc. An actual physical switch that disconnects the batteries from the house is the only sure way to store without power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kamakalama,
In addition to the previous post, consider:
1. inverter left on?
2. battery maintenance
3. battery age/condition

The year of your coach and the age of the batteries is not mentioned. If the batteries are flooded, have the water levels been meticulously maintained? With the batteries fully charged, do a load teat on each battery. This will tell you the true condition of coach batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
An actual physical switch that disconnects the batteries from the house is the only sure way to store without power.
Is there a manual switch for the house bank somewhere? I know there is a switch in back for the chassis batteries.

Could there be enough parasitic loads to discharge a 600AH bank in 2 weeks?

The coach is a 2014 so the batteries are good. I checked the water in them just a few weeks ago. Since new, I never have needed to add water. I wonder if there is a loose battery cable that got disconnected when I had the battery drawer out to check the water levels? I'll check that tomorrow.

If the disconnect is engaged, does the inverter have 12 volt supply available?

Before putting the coach in storage, I ran the generator for about 1.5hrs. The voltmeter was showing 13.4 volts when the disconnect was engaged. Once the disconnect is engaged, the display shows "no inverter connection" so there is no way to further monitor anything. Hence you can't check to see if there is still a 12volt load present.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
................The coach is a 2014 so the batteries are good......................
You're assuming the batteries are all good because of their age. Batteries, like everything else, can go bad. A cheap way to make sure their good is to test them using a hydrometer available at almost any auto parts store. If you're not sure how to use one you could Google for instructions.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

I'm not afraid of being insulting. I don't like to be insulting but I gotta ask.

Are you sure the batteries were dead? Bad connections can give low voltage readings.

600 AH is a lot of power to lose.

I live in a 30 year old RV and sometimes when I think my battery pack is suddenly empty, if I'm not too tired and I remember to check the plug for my voltmeter. If I'm lucky I'll find that I was panic'd for nothing.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
After turning the disconnect switch off, remove one battery cable and put a multimeter set to amps in the gap. See how much parasitic power is present. It will also give you a chance to clean the battery connection, but I doubt if that's the issue. Checking a battery at the end of charging is always a bad idea. While a battery is charging, more power is being put into the plates inside the battery than they can absorb. Immediately after disconnecting, a reading of voltage will read the excessive charge that hasn't been absorbed into the lead plates and will read high. Always let a battery sit for at least an hour or two before trying to take an accurate rested state charge.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Checking a battery at the end of charging is always a bad idea. While a battery is charging, more power is being put into the plates inside the battery than they can absorb. Immediately after disconnecting, a reading of voltage will read the excessive charge that hasn't been absorbed into the lead plates and will read high. Always let a battery sit for at least an hour or two before trying to take an accurate rested state charge.
I thought about it some more and think this comment points out my mistake ... the batteries probably weren't fully charged when the coach was stored.

I also need to get a handle on the actual battery load when the coach is stored.

Thanks everyone for all the input
Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your Gen will take some time to charge you batteries of the inverter/converter most of us maybe able to leave the coach plugged into a 110-120 power source while coach is stored.
Quickest way to charge the batteries is with a stand alone Battery charger.
If you can start your coach and are now going south in morning your Bird System is going to recharge all your batteries as your traveling and also when parked at camp ground.
The biggest drain on the house batteries is the LP Detector if the switch, in display area, is not off to disconnect it, some of us are wired to chassis batteries but you may have wired to house.
Here is link to explain your Bird System operation and battery info found in QT's # 3.
When ever your reading battery voltage off the BDS you are reading the charging voltage from converter or alternator when plugged in or engine running your battery voltage would be when all shore power or engine is off.
Have your BDS on all times using coach, check the battery cables both battery and the chassis frame for good tight clean connections Gen, inverter/converter included.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kamakalama,
Answering post #4, yes there is a disconnect switch for the coach batteries. On the same panel where the tank gages are located there should be a rocker switch labeled use/store. This is the disconnect switch for the coach batteries. With the inverter on, put the coach in store mode. Go check if the light(s) on the inverter remain on or are off. An inverter may draw down batteries pretty quickly, like a day or two. It all depends on the condition of the batteries, the size of the inverter, etc.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are many parasitic loads that bypass the battery isolation switch. LP detector, perhaps thermostat, radio presets and clock, etc. An actual physical switch that disconnects the batteries from the house is the only sure way to store without power.
Wow, that's just a plain weird setup if true. My current Winnebago DP has a disconnect switch at the entrance door. It triggers a relay in the battery compartment. That relay is the ONLY thing on the battery when the switch is off. I turn mine off for the winter and 4 months later, the batteries are still at 13+ volts.

What is the purpose of a battery disconnect switch that leaves parasitic loads on the battery when turned off? You may as well just not use it if that's the case.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The thermostat would be shut off with its own switch, LP Detector on some gas and DP' have a switch in display area, the radio, clock, ECM, TCM work off the chassis battery which on DP coach may have its own battery disconnect.

House battery disconnect:
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
If everything was shut off with the battery disconnect switch, where does the energy come from to trigger the solenoid back on after storage???

Bob & Donna
Old 12-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If everything was shut off with the battery disconnect switch, where does the energy come from to trigger the solenoid back on after storage???
From the "open side" of the switch...... when the switch is closed, its powered up, no battery load till closed.........

Tags
batteries